Vikings Sign Josh Kline

SemperFeist

13 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

I see your point, but in my personal opinion I'd rather have TE or WR in the first three rounds, not both unless there's great value. If we take a TE, I'd hope Zylstra or Beebe would step up, if we take WR I'd hope Conklin steps up. 

We are probalby straying too much from the Kline conversation on this thread but I don't get the hope for Zylstra or Beebe and not Johnson or Holmes. Beebe played one game, got hurt and pretty much missed the rest of the season. Conklin didn't show me anything that makes me think he is ready to be a vital weapon in the offense. Adding a solid WR3 and a playmaking tight end could make this offense lethal. 

7 minutes ago, byuvike88 said:

We are probalby straying too much from the Kline conversation on this thread but I don't get the hope for Zylstra or Beebe and not Johnson or Holmes. Beebe played one game, got hurt and pretty much missed the rest of the season. Conklin didn't show me anything that makes me think he is ready to be a vital weapon in the offense. Adding a solid WR3 and a playmaking tight end could make this offense lethal. 

I don't think you necessarily have to spend high picks to get good production from skill position players. Just look at the high picks burned on Treadwell and Patterson while Diggs and Thielen turned into stars. I think the Vikes getting back to the playoffs will be dependent on winning in the trenches, both sides of the ball. And I'd hate to cut the talent short along the DL, especially as Griffen and Joseph get older and we look for more production from the interior pass rush.

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

I don't think you necessarily have to spend high picks to get good production from skill position players. Just look at the high picks burned on Treadwell and Patterson while Diggs and Thielen turned into stars.

You could literally say that about any position drafted. Look at Weatherly, a 7th round pick, vs. Scott Crichton a 3rd. Or John Sullivan a 6th rounder vs. Matt Kalil a 4th overall pick. 

On 3/20/2019 at 5:27 PM, SemperFeist said:

Later in that video he looked pretty bad, so he is getting around $5 million a year and is possibly worse than Mike Remmers, at least Remmers could play tackle Kline cannot.  

Here are the OL who the Vikings could have signed that are cheaper than Josh Kline in terms of contracts in order from closest to his paid grade to farthest away.

AJ Cann OG
Spencer Long C
Ty Nsekhe OT
JR Sweezy OG
Cameron Fleming OT
DJ Fluker OG
Daryl Williams OT
Ereck Flowers OT
Mike Iupati OG
LaAdrian Waddle OT
Max Garcia
Ted Larsen

Pretty freaking nuts we could have got Cann but more importantly Sweezy, Fluker or Iupati, sure some were one year deals but that makes it even worse, we got Kline for 3 years.  Will see if he turns out but I feel the Vikings just waited too long and he was the best they could get after all the other good ones were gone.  Sure these guys are not top of the line but many I would take over Kline.  Fluker and Iupati both are one Seattle so playing style and blocking style had something to do with it.  Sucks though, I think they could have done better, hope he is not another Brett Jones type who was a starter but not really in the grand scheme of things is not.

17 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Later in that video he looked pretty bad, so he is getting around $5 million a year and is possibly worse than Mike Remmers, at least Remmers could play tackle Kline cannot.  

Here are the OL who the Vikings could have signed that are cheaper than Josh Kline in terms of contracts in order from closest to his paid grade to farthest away.

AJ Cann OG
Spencer Long C
Ty Nsekhe OT
JR Sweezy OG
Cameron Fleming OT
DJ Fluker OG
Daryl Williams OT
Ereck Flowers OT
Mike Iupati OG
LaAdrian Waddle OT
Max Garcia
Ted Larsen

Pretty freaking nuts we could have got Cann but more importantly Sweezy, Fluker or Iupati, sure some were one year deals but that makes it even worse, we got Kline for 3 years.  Will see if he turns out but I feel the Vikings just waited too long and he was the best they could get after all the other good ones were gone.  Sure these guys are not top of the line but many I would take over Kline.  Fluker and Iupati both are one Seattle so playing style and blocking style had something to do with it.  Sucks though, I think they could have done better, hope he is not another Brett Jones type who was a starter but not really in the grand scheme of things is not.

Or we could have just cut Rudolph and not sign Kline. Would have been able to afford Matt Paradis and Barr. Seems like the better option going into the draft, having at least one good interior OL locked into one spot.

Im puzzled by the offseason strategy but I get the desire to build through the draft. We just unfortunately don't have a ton of draft capital.

40 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Or we could have just cut Rudolph and not sign Kline. Would have been able to afford Matt Paradis and Barr. Seems like the better option going into the draft, having at least one good interior OL locked into one spot.

Im puzzled by the offseason strategy but I get the desire to build through the draft. We just unfortunately don't have a ton of draft capital.

I mean we have a solid amount of draft capital. Like yeah we're missing our 5th but we have 2 6th's and 2 7th's. We have plenty of picks to fill our biggest needs and get some depth at others, we've just gotta hit them.

1 hour ago, Ozzy said:

AJ Cann OG
Spencer Long C
Ty Nsekhe OT
JR Sweezy OG
Cameron Fleming OT
DJ Fluker OG
Daryl Williams OT
Ereck Flowers OT
Mike Iupati OG
LaAdrian Waddle OT
Max Garcia
Ted Larsen

I've never seen Kline play but it sounds like he's at least been a decent guard before. They must be banking on him having a bounce back year. It's risky but we'll have to wait to see what they do in the draft

What kind of guarantees does he have in his contract?

57 minutes ago, vikesfan89 said:

I've never seen Kline play but it sounds like he's at least been a decent guard before. They must be banking on him having a bounce back year. It's risky but we'll have to wait to see what they do in the draft

What kind of guarantees does he have in his contract?

Kline got a $4 million signing bonus and $7.25 of it is guaranteed.  I mean he was released by the Titans because of poor play I am sure and the Vikings sign him and give him a raise compared to what he was getting paid?  Still no clue why they went after him instead of some other guys out there that went for less money.  Kline got $2.5 million last year and now gets what around $5 a year for three seasons potentially?

Sucky thing apparently they offered on contract to freaking Brett Jones as well who made $2.9 million last year and barely played.  That is not final though and still might not happen hopefully.

Kline and Jones do not strike me as very athletic blockers in a zone system but they are also not really big time power guys either.  Maybe they will be really solid but so far I do not feel either one has been in their career.  Not sure they have this outstanding potential or upside either.  Still to me OL is the biggest need for the Vikings come darft time even with this freaking signing.  Get Risner, Jonah, Lindstrom or Bradbury in here so they can at least have a lineman who has potential and talent....

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

To Rudolph's credit he did play much better late in the season, I just think that offensive system was bad for him early on.  That or Kirk cannot figure out how to throw to one of the better TEs in football.  I am fine keeping Rudolph but do feel that getting Kline he was very over paid just like Remmers was a few years back but again at least Remmers could play a few positions and had ability at tackle and some upside.  Sure that never materialized but to me as a prospect free agent Remmers out of Carolina was more talented and had more potential than getting Kline out of Tennessee and that is not a good thing.  

1 hour ago, wcblack34 said:

Perhaps they feel Kline is a better schematic fit than the other options. They did move quickly after he was cut. Time will tell. 

It was probably because he has 'starting' experience.  But like I have brought up before Jordan Mills started 82 ot 87 games played in the NFL and would have more if he did not get hurt and has more upside and potential.  Not to mention he has connections with Dennison at Buffalo.  Kline has started 64 of 79 games played in the NFL and a lot recently.  Still not totally sold on him and in terms of a scheme fit maybe but he does not come off to me as this great athlete at guard who can pull and really move, will see.  Would be nice if the Vikings do not go full out all athletic finesse OL and do have some power, but not even sure Kline is that type of guy either.  

5 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

It was probably because he has 'starting' experience.  But like I have brought up before Jordan Mills started 82 ot 87 games played in the NFL and would have more if he did not get hurt and has more upside and potential.  Not to mention he has connections with Dennison at Buffalo.  Kline has started 64 of 79 games played in the NFL and a lot recently.  Still not totally sold on him and in terms of a scheme fit maybe but he does not come off to me as this great athlete at guard who can pull and really move, will see.  Would be nice if the Vikings do not go full out all athletic finesse OL and do have some power, but not even sure Kline is that type of guy either.  

If Dennison coached Mills and still didn't want to bring him in, then that probably tells you something about Mills.

14 minutes ago, vikestyle said:

If Dennison coached Mills and still didn't want to bring him in, then that probably tells you something about Mills.

Maybe, but that is just an example of a player and some said maybe those starts were not that meaningful in his regard.  And of course coaches cannot always bring guys in they used to have, sometimes that happens but at the time the Vikings were making so little moves I tried to connect some dot to their lack of activity in terms of free agents on the OL.  Now I showed the guys they missed on and could have apparently got for less money than Kline, who are arguably better more talented players long term than he is.  But I find it more impressive what Mills has done in his career compared to Kline.  Will see if Kline can actually produce or is he another waste of money as a free agent OL signing similar to Mike Remmers.

4 hours ago, Ozzy said:

AJ Cann OG
Spencer Long C
Ty Nsekhe OT
JR Sweezy OG
Cameron Fleming OT
DJ Fluker OG
Daryl Williams OT
Ereck Flowers OT
Mike Iupati OG
LaAdrian Waddle OT
Max Garcia
Ted Larsen

None of the guys mentioned graded much better (some significantly worse) than Kline did. And go back a year and Kline was considered a quality starter. They obviously feel that this past year is the outlier and hes likely to regain his 2017 form. If so, he is quite a bit better than Cann, Iupati, Sweezy etc. 

4 minutes ago, boombap said:

None of the guys mentioned graded much better (some significantly worse) than Kline did. And go back a year and Kline was considered a quality starter. They obviously feel that this past year is the outlier and hes likely to regain his 2017 form. If so, he is quite a bit better than Cann, Iupati, Sweezy etc. 

Will see but honestly this is where the Vikings are in terms of their offensive line and it is sad.  We are arguing and debating over the qualifications of a clearly below average NFL starter compared to other average to below average NFL starters on the OL.  In terms of the list give me Sweezy over Kline all day long, he is a better athlete with more power and potential.  The rest sure at debatable but many can and do play tackle something Kline could not do.  That is only the players who get paid less, many others we missed out on who are on a higher pay grade.  

34 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Will see but honestly this is where the Vikings are in terms of their offensive line and it is sad.  We are arguing and debating over the qualifications of a clearly below average NFL starter compared to other average to below average NFL starters on the OL.  In terms of the list give me Sweezy over Kline all day long, he is a better athlete with more power and potential.  The rest sure at debatable but many can and do play tackle something Kline could not do.  That is only the players who get paid less, many others we missed out on who are on a higher pay grade.  

Sweezy graded in the 40s last year. Why would you want him?

Archived