2020 QBs, how do they stack up?

Danger

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

Despite everything you listed that is negative for Watson he is also playing with arguably the best WR in football.  

Don't disagree with this, but for long stretches... his #2 was a undrafted rookie from Limestone college and his #3 was a 3rd string QB and ST gunner. His best TE was a converted rookie WR drafted in the 6th round. A 3rd round rookie TE was playing in the slot a few times a week.

Hopkins is the best WR in football, but there's basically nothing outside of that last year. 

1 hour ago, Rockice_8 said:

And lets not act like Sam was in a great spot with his top 2 WR's injured most of the year.  Plus Watson was like a 4 year starter in the NFL.  Sam has like 3 years of development to catch up to guys like Mayfield and Watson that he is getting compared to.  He's a baby at this point.

I don't get the bolded - Watson played six games his rookie year before his ACL tear, he was an "advanced rookie" if anything. Are you referencing age, perhaps?

Again - I like Darnold, a lot. Think he's well on his way to be a very good QB. I might be a homer (let's not beat around the bush - I AM a homer) but I think it would be pretty universal that people like Watson more than Darnold, for both short and long term.

1 minute ago, ET80 said:

Don't disagree with this, but for ling stretches... his #2 was a undrafted rookie from Limestone college and his #3 was a 3rd string QB and ST gunner. 

Hopkins is the best WR in football, but there's basically nothing outside of that last year. 

I don't get the bolded - Watson played six games his rookie year before his ACL tear, he was an "advanced rookie" if anything. Are you referencing age, perhaps?

Again - I like Darnold, a lot. Think he's well on his way to be a very good QB. I might be a homer (let's not beat around the bush - I AM a homer) but I think it would be pretty universal that people like Watson more than Darnold, for both short and long term.

Meant college and pro combined.  He has a ton more experience compared to a guy like Sam.  So comparing rookie season of guys like Mayfield and Watson to guys like Darnold isn't really and apples to apples thing. 

11 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

Meant college and pro combined.  He has a ton more experience compared to a guy like Sam.  So comparing rookie season of guys like Mayfield and Watson to guys like Darnold isn't really and apples to apples thing. 

That's fair, but it's also a bit misleading to factor in college experience, given the jump from college to pro (especially at QB).

Unless you're looking at some extreme example (such as Trubisky, or that four game stretch that Cardale Jones had at OSU when people thought he could be a top 10 pick) college experience can't really be leaned on. In some cases, more experience might be a detriment, as guys have to break bad habits with mechanics and in play awareness (think about how Aaron Rodgers had to redo his mechanics while playing backup to Favre...)

I get where you're coming from, but I put very little weight on it.

2 minutes ago, ET80 said:

That's fair, but it's also a bit misleading to factor in college experience, given the jump from college to pro (especially at QB).

Unless you're looking at some extreme example (such as Trubisky, or that four game stretch that Cardale Jones had at OSU when people thought he could be a top 10 pick) college experience can't really be leaned on. In some cases, more experience might be a detriment, as guys have to break bad habits with mechanics and in play awareness (think about how Aaron Rodgers had to redo his mechanics while playing backup to Favre...)

I get where you're coming from, but put very little weight on it.

Experience while not the same as NFL experience still helps.  Watson played in big game after big game for years.  That has to count for something.

Being 21 compared to being 23-24 is also a huge difference just in development of the human body.  Expecting Darnold to play up to the same standard as a guy like Watson in their rookies years is just a not a fair fight IMO. 

On 4/2/2019 at 11:26 AM, ET80 said:

This take is horribly bad. 2017 had Mahomes and Watson, who are considerably better than anyone in 2018 to this point. I'm not terribly high on Trubisky, but I'd still take him over anyone in 2018 not named Baker Mayfield.

As prospects? 

I get the whole “you never know exactly how things will pan out” attitude towards the draft overall, but it’s a prospects thread. Look at them as prospects, not as pros. I wouldn’t go into a thread about past college players and say “player x, because he was the better professional”.

Just now, Yin-Yang said:

As prospects? 

I get the whole “you never know exactly how things will pan out” attitude towards the draft overall, but it’s a prospects thread. Look at them as prospects, not as pros. I wouldn’t go into a thread about past college players and say “player x, because he was the better professional”.

Yeah, covered that a bit back - and can agree from that perspective. 

Archived