No deal for Kirk cousins

theJ

Yes, the Redskins have definitely bungled this situation from the start, but, based on what I've heard and read, I think there is still a legit chance Kirk signs with the Redskins next offseason.  It depends on how successful the team is this season.

No deal yet. I still blame Cousins for not countering the Redskins deal for 2.5 months but it does make sense that he wants to see how the team, coaches and particularly front office develops over this year. The Redskins FO have been kissing his behind a little more this offseason so that can only help.

On 7/26/2017 at 7:19 PM, turtle28 said:

No deal yet. I still blame Cousins for not countering the Redskins deal for 2.5 months but it does make sense that he wants to see how the team, coaches and particularly front office develops over this year. The Redskins FO have been kissing his behind a little more this offseason so that can only help.

(this is a little redundant for turtle and I, but for the whole crew, I'll pick this up)

He chose not to counter because he got a low ball deal again. The Redskins gambled last offseason when they chose not to franchise him. They said to themselves "we want to see Kirk do it again, and if he does, we'll pay him what he deserves."

Then they went and offered him what he would have taken in 2016.

I don't fault him one bit for not responding. If he was comfortable in betting on himself again and then waiting for the 2018 free agency market, then he absolutely made the right call. The risk factor is getting injured, but if he puts up the numbers again, he'll get paid handsomely.

Oh and to forestall the inevitable comment about ending the season on the INT: let's assume for a second that he doesn't throw that pick or that it's dropped. Let's further assume he leads the Redskins to a touchdown and wins the game. What happens? The Redskins make the playoffs ... and then travel to Seattle. We would have been destroyed just like Detroit was (probably the score would have been worse) and then we would be doing the "well Kirk cannot win in the playoffs" game with likely the same outcome.

14 hours ago, OleXmad said:

Why are some teams just allergic to keeping good QBs around...?

To be fair, the Redskins have not had a good QB in over 25 years, and certainly none under the Snyder dictatorship. He probably doesn't know what a good quarterback looks like.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

To be fair, the Redskins have not had a good QB in over 25 years, and certainly none under the Snyder dictatorship. He probably doesn't know what a good quarterback looks like.

RG3, Kirk Cousins, Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien etc. Have all had some success over the past 25 years. Even if it was just for one season like RG3.

12 minutes ago, OleXmad said:

RG3, Kirk Cousins, Mark Brunell, Brad Johnson, Mark Rypien etc. Have all had some success over the past 25 years. Even if it was just for one season like RG3.

Mark Brunell was at the end of his career (and it showed). RG3 blew out his knee and wrecked what looked to be a promising career. Brad Johnson was here for two seasons, and likely would have been longer most likely had Snyder not decided that he desperately wanted Jeff George and demanded that we play him. Hence my earlier comment that Snyder doesn't know what a good quarterback looks like.

Mark Rypien was 25 years ago.

Kirk is the best quarterback the Redskins have had since Rypien.

On 8/4/2017 at 1:22 AM, BillsGuy82 said:

If Tyrod falters back the brinks up , gas the Pegula copter and get him to Buffalo

Assuming Cousins leaves (which should unfortunately be the main starting point), where might he go? By far and away, San Francisco would be likely the primary location for Cousins. He would reunite with his old coordinator along with a receiver he knows and trusts in Garçon (plus other familiar faces in Aldrick Robinson and Logan Paulsen).

After the 49ers, you would have to think the Rams would be his next play, but I don't know if he wants to have another top of the draft QB to compete with. If the Rams were to deal Goff, then this becomes a viable option. With Jared there, I think he passes especially with the 49ers offering him an easier path.

After that, you have three AFC teams that are all about the same in terms of position/rebuild: Jets, Bills, and Jaguars. If the price was right, maybe he might go to one of those three, but that's a much longer shot.

Finally, you have three teams that have veteran QBs but questions after this season: Minnesota, Arizona, and New Orleans. Honestly, I assume the Vikings will sign Bradford or Bridgewater. At first I was a bit surprised the Vikes passed on Bridgewater's 5th year option, but I guess the concern there is that they didn't want to deal with the possibility of it fully guaranteeing (due to injury). Both Palmer and Brees are getting long in the tooth and neither the Cardinals nor the Saints realistically have a viable backup plan (Arizona behind Palmer: Drew Stanton, Blaine Gabbert, and Trevor Knight; New Orleans behind Brees: Chase Daniel, Garrett Grayson, and Ryan Nassib). However, Brees is still sniffing around for a new contract and Palmer is under control in 2018. If either retires, I think they would slot into 3rd behind the Rams in terms of interest for Cousins.

Archived