Is this the appropriate way to deal with NFL international expansion?

UtahUtesFan

NFL "Virtual" London Team: 8 regular season games (each team in NFL has to give up home game once every 4 years with some preference for Jacksonville, etc.)

NFL Mexico City: 1 regular season game (home game split between Raiders, Rams, Chargers, Cardinals, Chiefs every few years, etc.)

NFL Preseason Exhibition Game: Hawaii, Germany, Brazil, Japan, Toronto, Mexico City, Australia, ??? (Vancouver, Canada?, China?)

There were reports a lot of players were not excited to be elected for those overseas games let alone if they expand and actually move a franchise to Mexico or Europe like Goodell hinted

I dont just from the perspective of players not wanting to go live in a different country. I see a lot of 'requested trade from the Mexico City........" in the future if that happens. Not saying all players would be opposed, but I dont think it would be a 100% consensus of players on a international team who would vote to go move their families out of country if for nothing more than travel reasons.

In your example, I think that seems like a logistical nightmare and would take a loooong time to prepare. Them trying to move a franchise out there would be far more likely resulting in my above paragraph.

I think the current set up is perfectly fine. A London team looks to be on the cards, but the chaos that comes with it is absolutely mayhem. If I was US native then I would absolutely be against any games being played at neutral grounds in other countries. I guess you get used to it. 

6 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

In your example, I think that seems like a logistical nightmare and would take a loooong time to prepare. Them trying to move a franchise out there would be far more likely resulting in my above paragraph.

I didn't say moving a team to London. It's a "virtual London team" which is 8 NFL games a year, you could put them Weeks 3-11, 4-12, 5-13, 6-14, etc. with the bye weeks.

I just don't see how the NFL requiring every team to give up a home game once in every 4 seasons is a logistical problem. It's a much easier solution than a new team in London. And they already host 4 games in London. 

1 hour ago, tom cody said:

I think the current setup is fine and should be left as is. 

I expect them to continue to add games right now we have 4, they will expend to 6 then 8. International reach is going to be major player in expanding the game.

They need to start focusing more locally with Canada and Mexico, not London. However, I can’t see teams moving to any of those places full time. How many players will want to move their families to Mexico City or elsewhere outside the US? 

It’s a logistical nightmare for visas, moving, and stress on coaches, staff, players, and families. 

Archived