Call Your Shot: Lamar Jackson

BleedTheClock

Will Lamar Jackson become an effective starting QB?  

118 members have voted

1. 1. Will Lamar Jackson become an effective starting QB?

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Pointless stupid gif that is demonstrably not even valid and should probably be removed due to neglect of facts.  Disclaimer: If I had remembered about Baker Mayfield. 

Well it's easily provable, so how about get over it.  Literally all of the points I highlighted (completion percentage, TD:INT ratio and YPA he was better at than the other first round picks. 

If it's so dreadfully difficult for you to believe:

Jackson: 58.2%, 7.1 YPA, 6:3 TD:INT
Darnold: 57.7%, 6.9 YPA, 17:15 TD:INT
Allen: 52.8%, 6.5%, 10:12 TD:INT
Rosen: 55.2%, 5.8 YPA, 11:14 TD:INT

So there is literally proof that what I said is literally accurate, so your pointless gif, which added absolutely zero to the conversation, is completely unfounded in reference to the fact that I stated. 

Jackson's completion percentage was higher than anybody else's.  His YPA was higher.  His TD:INT ratio was higher.  He started 7 less games than the rest of them, but the rest of them, with experience, got better.  It stands to reason that so too would have Jackson. 

2 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Well it's easily provable, so how about get over it.  Literally all of the points I highlighted (completion percentage, TD:INT ratio and YPA he was better at than the other first round picks. 

If it's so dreadfully difficult for you to believe:

Jackson: 58.2%, 7.1 YPA, 6:3 TD:INT
Darnold: 57.7%, 6.9 YPA, 17:15 TD:INT
Allen: 52.8%, 6.5%, 10:12 TD:INT
Rosen: 55.2%, 5.8 YPA, 11:14 TD:INT

So there is literally proof that what I said is literally accurate, so your pointless gif, which added absolutely zero to the conversation, is completely unfounded in reference to the fact that I stated. 

Jackson's completion percentage was higher than anybody else's.  His YPA was higher.  His TD:INT ratio was higher.  He started 7 less games than the rest of them, but the rest of them, with experience, got better.  It stands to reason that so too would have Jackson. 

Oh sorry. I guess I thought Baker Mayfield was a guy that plays football. Must have been thinking about someone else.

Guess I'm just an idiot that doesn't know anything.

Just now, BleedTheClock said:

Oh sorry. I guess I thought Baker Mayfield was a guy that plays football. Must have been thinking about someone else.

Baker Mayfield does not count because I had forgotten about him. 

9 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Its way too soon to judge him one way or another, but based on watching him last year, I dont see a true franchise QB.   Again, thats not saying anything definitive....but there are QBs you watch and get a feel for what their ceiling is and what direction they are heading.    Lamar's game feels very familiar, and not really in a good way.    He is capable of making some nice throws, but nothing about his passing is remotely consistent, and typically, his type of QB style doesnt fair well in the long term.     So while it may be too soon to pass any kind of final judgment, I am certainly not optimistic about his outlook....at least in regards to being a long term answer at QB.

As of RIGHT NOW, I would say I think the Ravens can have some success with him, but it will always be limited IMO.   I dont think, at this point, he is the type of QB that can take them above and beyond without some major help.     Fortunately for him, he is playing for a quality organization that knows how to put talent around him (well, except for maybe WR).

That outlook could obviously change, but I dont see the flaws in his passing game as being extremely coachable or improvable.    Not impossible, but he would have to make an unforeseen leap in his passing ability before I would be convinced he can be a franchise QB.

And before some Ravens fan blindly calls me a hater, I actually thought he was a solid pick for them and thought the Ravens were one of the better teams he couldve went to...but while I liked LJ coming out, I had some major concerns, and I still have them after watching his rookie year.      IMO, it will come down to how he adapts to how opposing defenses adapt to him after getting some tape on him...and thats where alot of similar QBs flutter IMO....they cant improve their passing game enough and instead try more and more to rely on their athleticism, and it gets them in trouble.

But again, as of right now, its too early to say much of anything.

I don't think many Ravens fans disagree with you. We know better than anyone how frustrating it is seeing Lamar throw an easy pass directly into the ground. We also know that things has to change with his passing in terms for him to be a succesfull quarterback.

What he offers is an ability to extend plays that very much could be the best in the league. His best plays often came when he escaped the pocket (not because he was standing there forever, but because oline got beat). Those plays he has to make, in an effort to make up for the plays where makes bad throws.

Lamar doesn't have to be a top 10 quarterback to be an effective quarterback. As limited as he was last year, I can't see how people in here honestly can say, that he was so bad, that the Ravens have to go with a new QB after the 2019 season.

It wasn't exactly because the Ravens played a tough defensive schedule with Lamar. It wasn't exactly the best offensive supporting cast Lamar had to his disposal. Crabtree wasn't good, but a willing blocker, LG and OC are considered one of the top needs for the ravens in the draft as well as receiver. The main runningback was a UDFA, the other has played 7-8 games in his career prior to this one.

Lets give him a chance to prove (or not) that he can be a quarterback by letting him develop and surrounding him with talent.

34 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

Lamar Jackson had better numbers than any of the first round quarterbacks from last year except for Baker Mayfield, whom I had forgotten about for some reason.  Better TD:INT, better completion percentage, better yards per attempt.

However, he also had the best defense, averaged 10 less pass attempts than Darnold, 7 less than Allen and 8 less than Rosen. 

When the scripted plays run out and the Ravens have to play catch up, he's not gonna cut it.  Evidenced by 14/29 (48.3%), 6.7 YPA, 2 TD one INT against the Chargers.  That's a bad game.  If you're completing less than 50% of your passes, that's a bad game. 

Lamar Jackson, I think, is as good as the Ravens running game and defense is. 

Lamar Jackson played from behind at some point in all his games. Never had the Ravens a lead from beginning to the end.

Taking the worst game of his season and basing 8 games and the forthcoming season on that game is stupid.

16 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I had to do a quick stat check because I was like wtf there's no way Lamar Jackson had better #'s than Baker.

Fair enough. We can be friends again. Love you!

18 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

Seems like it

Congratulations, you seem like you finally found a QB who will not be a joke - don't let it go to your head.

Oh, wait, it already has.

1 minute ago, Danand said:

Seems like it

Congratulations, you seem like you finally found a QB who will not be a joke - don't let it go to your head.

Yikes! Don't be a salty little guy. I'm allowed to not like your QB. Judging by the poll, it's Ravens fans and a few stragglers that don't think he sucks. 77% suck, 23% not suck.    I guess they're all idiots too and Ravens fans have it right.

Can't wait to watch your team trot him out there for 16 games next year! Can I rub it in your face when he falls flat on his? Just wondering. Because if he plays really well next year, you can do it to me.

28 minutes ago, Danand said:

Seems like it

Lets be real here, Baker in his rookie season, on a team that was 0-16 the previous year, was better than any QB in Ravens franchise history.

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Just quoting this again so it is not soon forgotten.  This thread is gold, Jerry, GOLD!

On topic, I LOVED what the Ravens did with Jackson last year; it was brilliant coaching.  But Lamar will have to become a better passer to make it as a long-term QB.

1 hour ago, john305 said:

Historically most (or maybe all?) college QB's who completed under 60% of their passes go on to be bad starters in the pro's. 

Historically, most college QBs with [insert any height, any weight, any hand size, any college offense, any number years of experience, any arm strength, or any other QB tangible or intangible] go on to be bad starters in the pros. 

It’s because most CFB players overall aren’t going to be successful NFL starters. Looking at any specific measurement as a singular point is silly, unless they’re some sort of massive outlier (5’4 QB, 150lbs, 40% completion, etc.)

Archived