Bears resign OLB Aaron Lynch

Madmike90

10 minutes ago, WindyCity said:

Good move. He was good last year in a limited role and he gives the Bears a little size and pass rush juice at the #3 OLB spot.

Yep.  If he can stay on the field for 16 games it was a great move and doesn't impact the compensatory picks.

7 hours ago, soulman said:

Yep.  If he can stay on the field for 16 games it was a great move and doesn't impact the compensatory picks.

I’m pretty open about not being a big fan of Lynch largely because he hasn’t been able to stay on the field, but he’s decent enough depth. If he exceeds my expectations then that’s good for us in every regard. Even more so, if he can stay on the field and be a more meaningful piece than just depth he may help us in the comp pick equation next year. 

24 minutes ago, AZBearsFan said:

I’m pretty open about not being a big fan of Lynch largely because he hasn’t been able to stay on the field, but he’s decent enough depth. If he exceeds my expectations then that’s good for us in every regard. Even more so, if he can stay on the field and be a more meaningful piece than just depth he may help us in the comp pick equation next year. 

I don't love the guy but for 13 games last year he played about as well as I ever expected him to.  I'll like him more if he can do it for 16 this year.  You're a tough critic AZ.  They can't all be Kahlil Macks ya' know.

We needed to add a vet OLB and we may draft one as well but Lynch can be plugged in now whereas a rookie would be more suspect as far as starting in the rotation this year.  The terms aren't published yet but I doubt we guaranteed him more than the $1.25 mil we did last year and since he's our own guy re-signing we don't lose any ground we've gained with compensatory picks.

Pace was gonna sign someone so it might as well be a guy who knows our defense and produced in it last season.

57 minutes ago, soulman said:

I don't love the guy but for 13 games last year he played about as well as I ever expected him to.  I'll like him more if he can do it for 16 this year.  You're a tough critic AZ.  They can't all be Kahlil Macks ya' know.

We needed to add a vet OLB and we may draft one as well but Lynch can be plugged in now whereas a rookie would be more suspect as far as starting in the rotation this year.  The terms aren't published yet but I doubt we guaranteed him more than the $1.25 mil we did last year and since he's our own guy re-signing we don't lose any ground we've gained with compensatory picks.

Pace was gonna sign someone so it might as well be a guy who knows our defense and produced in it last season.

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not dissatisfied with the move. It’s a good move and it’s the right move. Having him already locked in before the draft definitely takes pressure off of needing to take an edge player in round 3/4 too and let’s us truly attack the draft without a HUGE need anywhere.

I’m happy he got a 1-year deal though. Some of the talk of him getting 3/12 or thereabouts was just crazy to me, even if this 1-year deal ends up giving him as much annually. His not impacting the comp pick formula is obviously important and he’s not a bad player. I just think he’s just a guy, and given his lack of a real market despite most teams needing veteran pass rush depth it seems the league largely thinks so too. 

5 hours ago, AZBearsFan said:

Don’t get me wrong - I’m not dissatisfied with the move. It’s a good move and it’s the right move. Having him already locked in before the draft definitely takes pressure off of needing to take an edge player in round 3/4 too and let’s us truly attack the draft without a HUGE need anywhere.

I’m happy he got a 1-year deal though. Some of the talk of him getting 3/12 or thereabouts was just crazy to me, even if this 1-year deal ends up giving him as much annually. His not impacting the comp pick formula is obviously important and he’s not a bad player. I just think he’s just a guy, and given his lack of a real market despite most teams needing veteran pass rush depth it seems the league largely thinks so too. 

Have to see how the numbers come out but I wouldn't shocked if he signed for less than last year with some incentives.  He earned $3.9 mil in 2018.

The only rationale I can think of for him ever getting a muli-year deal is if you have to guarantee him enough to justify spreading it out over three years but he obviously hasn't earned that from anyone yet and may never earn it.  Even then I'd give him a minimum first year salary so I could be out after one year if I needed to.  At best I was looking at a two year for around $5.5 mil like Acho got last year where your out after one but Pace didn't even do that.

He is just a guy.  A mid level vet with some experience but no perceivable upside.  I feel we got as good as he can give in 2018 and since he's still on a one year deal hopefully it keeps him motivated and we get that same from him again.

Meantime Pace can add OLB/Edge to his list but isn't as pressed about where and when and could even pass early on this draft getting his RB and SS first then take a guy who'll come in compete with Irving and Pitts for a #4 spot.  As long as he's uninjured Mack is never gonna miss many snaps and neither will Floyd so even Lynch won't be on the field that much and a #4 even less except for ST.

37 minutes ago, soulman said:

Have to see how the numbers come out but I wouldn't shocked if he signed for less than last year with some incentives.  He earned $3.9 mil in 2018.

The only rationale I can think of for him ever getting a muli-year deal is if you have to guarantee him enough to justify spreading it out over three years but he obviously hasn't earned that from anyone yet and may never earn it.  Even then I'd give him a minimum first year salary so I could be out after one year if I needed to.  At best I was looking at a two year for around $5.5 mil like Acho got last year where your out after one but Pace didn't even do that.

He is just a guy.  A mid level vet with some experience but no perceivable upside.  I feel we got as good as he can give in 2018 and since he's still on a one year deal hopefully it keeps him motivated and we get that same from him again.

Meantime Pace can add OLB/Edge to his list but isn't as pressed about where and when and could even pass early on this draft getting his RB and SS first then take a guy who'll come in compete with Irving and Pitts for a #4 spot.  As long as he's uninjured Mack is never gonna miss many snaps and neither will Floyd so even Lynch won't be on the field that much and a #4 even less except for ST.

I am hoping the Bears don't sell Kylie Fitts short. The fact that he missed 15 of a possible 24 games looms large but spinning it positively it means the mileage (+ the wear & tear) on his body is low. He also had 7 TFL & sacks in 2015. He does have some talent & upside which I hope we can develop. Time will tell.

13 minutes ago, malagabears said:

I am hoping the Bears don't sell Kylie Fitts short. The fact that he missed 15 of a possible 24 games looms large but spinning it positively it means the mileage (+ the wear & tear) on his body is low. He also had 7 TFL & sacks in 2015. He does have some talent & upside which I hope we can develop. Time will tell.

I think unless he becomes a total bust due to injuries or simply not ascending he'll get his shot but I wouldn't hesitate to add more rookie competition for him and Irving.  We're still gonna have a couple of OLBs on the PS in addition to whoever makes the 53 man roster.

I'm also curious to see the terms of Lynch's deal.  That would tell us how secure his spot is.

Archived