Aaron Rodgers is a nutjob

beardown3231

5 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

But if you flip it--what other choice do they have, outside of getting rid of Rodgers? 

I'm betting Rodgers had a lot of pull on who he wanted, or at least the 2-3 He didmt want to work with. Just having him away from McCarthy might cause a bit of a honeymoon phase. 

I'm not huge on the hire but I get the risk they took. Could have had a dead fish that checked out like Fox did to Chicago just as easily. 

I just hope it blows up in their faces. Lol

13 hours ago, Heinz D. said:

But if you flip it--what other choice do they have, outside of getting rid of Rodgers? 

None really because with his contract IMHO the second one isn't really much of a choice because unlike with Favre they don't have much behind him.

7 hours ago, Sugashane said:

I'm betting Rodgers had a lot of pull on who he wanted, or at least the 2-3 He didmt want to work with. Just having him away from McCarthy might cause a bit of a honeymoon phase. 

I'm not huge on the hire but I get the risk they took. Could have had a dead fish that checked out like Fox did to Chicago just as easily. 

I just hope it blows up in their faces. Lol

Actually they didn't consult with him about it according to Rodger and their GM and CEO. 

It was supposedly 100% a front office decision and Murphy just told him to get along with the guy.

12 hours ago, soulman said:

Actually they didn't consult with him about it according to Rodger and their GM and CEO. 

It was supposedly 100% a front office decision and Murphy just told him to get along with the guy.

That may be true but I am highly skeptical of anything GMs or such say. Unless he is just doing a full power display, I'd imaging they at least spoke with him on it as he is the face of their franchise and his and McCarthy's multiple year long pissing match may have cost them another Super Bowl. 

That being said I know absolutely nothing about what happens behind the Cheeseheads' FO doors or their FO in general. Logic doesn't always work in the NFL. Egos get too big and suddenly everyone thinks they're like old Bill I. NE, the only guy who really has his franchise completely by the short and curlies.  

1 hour ago, Sugashane said:

That may be true but I am highly skeptical of anything GMs or such say. Unless he is just doing a full power display, I'd imaging they at least spoke with him on it as he is the face of their franchise and his and McCarthy's multiple year long pissing match may have cost them another Super Bowl. 

That being said I know absolutely nothing about what happens behind the Cheeseheads' FO doors or their FO in general. Logic doesn't always work in the NFL. Egos get too big and suddenly everyone thinks they're like old Bill I. NE, the only guy who really has his franchise completely by the short and curlies.  

@soulmanis right.  

All parties have publicly said Rodgers didn't have a say in HC.

Also reportedly front office wasn't happy with Rodgers attitude/behavior last season.   So you have to figure they purposely left him out of decision as a power play.  Trying to put him in his place.   Gives some credence to aspects of that article re Rodgers attitude.  They said they did not want a repeat of 'that.'  Whatever 'that' is.   

But if Rodgers decides to push back WTF are they going to do?  They are paper tigers.  With that contract and scarcity of QB position Rodgers has them by balls.

He could up end that whole organization if he really wanted.  He could put them in dark ages for 4-7years.

I mean why publicly say Rodgers had no say?  

What is point of that?  Why wouldn't your star long-time veteran QB have a say in his coach?  That make sense to me.

Only reason to leave him out of it is to send a message or to lower someone a peg who has gotten too big for his britches.

If it's me and I know he is a narcissistic prideful guy I am using that info to tweak him.

Regular people can't do it because he tunes that out, but media guys and players can.   People he can hear.  

2 hours ago, Sugashane said:

It's what Rodgers has said himself as well.

That said I truly DGAF what goes on in GB as far as the Packers are concerned.  They seem to be just beginning a rebuild as we complete ours.

Rodgers has his say and naturally it's at odds with that of the author of the B/R article.

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Dont-be-the-problem-Rodgers-has-problem-with-BR-smear-131013932

Speaking to ESPN Wisconsin’s Jason Wilde and Mark Tauscher on Monday following the first day of workouts under new coach Matt LaFleur, Rodgers called Tyler Dunne’s story a “smear.” He saved some of his ire for one of the more dramatic pieces of Dunne’s story.

Right before the Packers announced LaFleur as their new head coach, the source close to the team says Murphy called Rodgers to tell him who they were going with. He didn't ask for permission—he told him who the choice was. There was a brief pause on the other end of the phone before Rodgers eventually spoke. Murphy made it clear that Rodgers would need to accept coaching. "Don’t be the problem," he told him. "Don't be the problem."

Asked about the “Don’t be the problem” line by Tauscher, Rodgers responded: “It’s ridiculous. It is 100 percent, patently false. It’s either he made that crap up or what he would probably do as a writer is say, ‘Oh, this is my source’s problem. They told me something …’ I talked to Mark last week. I said, ‘Mark, did you tell somebody about the conversation?’ He goes, ‘That’s ridiculous.’ I said, ‘Because that’s not what happened.’ He told me, ‘Of course that’s not what happened. We had a great conversation.’ That’s just one point in that article, among a number of highly questionable things.”

Rodgers’ version of that phone call with Murphy is much different than what was portrayed in the story. While playing golf in Scottsdale, Ariz., Rodgers got a call from general manager Brian Gutekunst asking Rodgers to call LaFleur. Rodgers did, and then told Gutekunst he had a “great conversation” with LaFleur and that he’d heard good things about LaFleur from Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, who was coached by LaFleur in Atlanta in 2015 and 2016. After Rodgers’ round of golf, Murphy called Rodgers to tell him the news. Recalled Rodgers: “‘I’m excited that you guys feel great about him and I had a good conversation and it’s going to be a great thing moving forward.’”

On 4/9/2019 at 1:51 PM, soulman said:

Rodgers has his say and naturally it's at odds with that of the author of the B/R article.

https://247sports.com/nfl/chicago-bears/Article/Dont-be-the-problem-Rodgers-has-problem-with-BR-smear-131013932

Speaking to ESPN Wisconsin’s Jason Wilde and Mark Tauscher on Monday following the first day of workouts under new coach Matt LaFleur, Rodgers called Tyler Dunne’s story a “smear.” He saved some of his ire for one of the more dramatic pieces of Dunne’s story.

Right before the Packers announced LaFleur as their new head coach, the source close to the team says Murphy called Rodgers to tell him who they were going with. He didn't ask for permission—he told him who the choice was. There was a brief pause on the other end of the phone before Rodgers eventually spoke. Murphy made it clear that Rodgers would need to accept coaching. "Don’t be the problem," he told him. "Don't be the problem."

Asked about the “Don’t be the problem” line by Tauscher, Rodgers responded: “It’s ridiculous. It is 100 percent, patently false. It’s either he made that crap up or what he would probably do as a writer is say, ‘Oh, this is my source’s problem. They told me something …’ I talked to Mark last week. I said, ‘Mark, did you tell somebody about the conversation?’ He goes, ‘That’s ridiculous.’ I said, ‘Because that’s not what happened.’ He told me, ‘Of course that’s not what happened. We had a great conversation.’ That’s just one point in that article, among a number of highly questionable things.”

Rodgers’ version of that phone call with Murphy is much different than what was portrayed in the story. While playing golf in Scottsdale, Ariz., Rodgers got a call from general manager Brian Gutekunst asking Rodgers to call LaFleur. Rodgers did, and then told Gutekunst he had a “great conversation” with LaFleur and that he’d heard good things about LaFleur from Falcons quarterback Matt Ryan, who was coached by LaFleur in Atlanta in 2015 and 2016. After Rodgers’ round of golf, Murphy called Rodgers to tell him the news. Recalled Rodgers: “‘I’m excited that you guys feel great about him and I had a good conversation and it’s going to be a great thing moving forward.’”

I don't believe Rodgers but I am biased....

1 hour ago, dafreak said:

I’m with you on both parts, however at the same time it’s telling to me that Packer brass has been stunningly silent about the allegations about the supposed exchange between he and Murphy about LaFleur. Namely, they haven’t denied ANYTHING. Only Rodgers’ buddies and Packer stans have come to his defense. 

How about last week when Rodgers asked for everyone to show respect for McCarthy, citing multiple playoff appearances and a championship as well as the fact that he still lives in Green Bay (side note: if I was fired from, traded from, released from, or retired from Green Bay I'd be on the first flight out to get a place almost anywhere else... **** that place) with his family and they shouldn't be caught up in all of this. He went on to say he's excited to see McCarthy in the near future.

He then was asked if he's talked to McCarthy since the article was released. He said "I'm not going to answer that." So... no? Don't defend the guy publicly but make no effort to defend him man to man. What an ***hole.

15 hours ago, dafreak said:

Soap operas have many plots and sub-plots and what Dunne presented was a bit of a soap opera.

It's obvious Rodgers is no angel but much like Cutler I do think he's very focused on winning and doing what he can to make that happen.  If others don't share that same obsession maybe you get some friction.  Over time if you're losing it's almost impossible not too.

I believe Rodgers has some personal issues and his estrangement from his family would be an indication of that.  He also has issues with Favre and eventually with McCarthy as well.  Something's at the bottom of all that but it's not anything I care to know about.

It seems the biggest issue in GB according to their own fans is a realization that Rodgers can no longer be guaranteed to win big on his own.  Gee whiz what a revelation.  Few QBs can and even then not forever.  GB simply doesn't have the talent they did some years ago.

The other problem they have to deal with is how much of their cap Rodgers consumes with his need to be the highest paid NFL QB.  He needs to realize that will limit what Gutekust can do in FA as far as getting him vet help to equal some of the talent he had to work with in the past and that their defensive needs can't continue to be ignored so he's gonna have to deal with more rookies and others with lesser talent and teach them his offense.

Yeah he's a bit of a prima donna and always has been but he's still a HOF QB whose obsessed with winning and frustrated he's not.  Good.....I hope it stays that way.

4 hours ago, beardown3231 said:

How about last week when Rodgers asked for everyone to show respect for McCarthy, citing multiple playoff appearances and a championship as well as the fact that he still lives in Green Bay (side note: if I was fired from, traded from, released from, or retired from Green Bay I'd be on the first flight out to get a place almost anywhere else... **** that place) with his family and they shouldn't be caught up in all of this. He went on to say he's excited to see McCarthy in the near future.

He then was asked if he's talked to McCarthy since the article was released. He said "I'm not going to answer that." So... no? Don't defend the guy publicly but make no effort to defend him man to man. What an ***hole.

Green Bay isn't a bad place to live and raise a family if you're not constantly in some fishbowl of conflicting emotions or a negative spotlight. McCarthy is still well liked by many who credit him with winning a lot of football games just as Ditka is still popular in Chicago.  He'll survive it all.

Packer fans are prone to unrealistic expectations fanned by the flames of having 3 HOF QBs to extend their dominance of the NFL in the '60s and the NFCN since 1992 or so when most teams haven't even had one.  They went 16 years with Favre with only one losing season and only two in 11 years under Rodgers when he's played the entire season. 

So only three losing seasons in 27 years?  We should be so lucky.   Expectations are high and last year was the first time it had happened since his rookie season and it came following a year in they failed to make the playoffs for the first time since 2008 and we kicked their butts in 2018 with a rookie HC and a very inexperienced 2nd year QB.  That's not acceptable in the Tundra because they're spoiled.

I'm surely not defending Rodgers.  He has more diva in him than he'll ever be willing to admit but the pressure to win up there is little different than it is in NE.  The big difference is they aren't as good at it and their lack of SB wins bothers them as it should.  I can't predict how it will go for them but it's possible they're headed down the same path as the Bears took in the 90s and a decade of losing.  This year may tell a lot.

Archived