2017 FF Soccer Draft: Discussion

amac

1 hour ago, roysmyboy31 said:

Thought so.  Was wondering what happened for a second.  I wasn't going to pick Walker though.

I'd say you can still have him. Since dot wasn't supposed to pick until after me...And I literally just picked.

Edit: I misread, I thought you said you wanted Walker. Carry on folks lol

Edited by Imarobot

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Handanovic?

Ter Stegen? 

Donnarumma? 

Courtois based on last season? 

Not sure what those 3 have done to be over Lloris. 

Yeah. I would pick Lloris over those first three names for sure. It was interesting for me to see Donnarumma go that early as a keeper too

6 hours ago, texans_uk said:

Handanovic?

Ter Stegen? 

Donnarumma? 

Courtois based on last season? 

Not sure what those 3 have done to be over Lloris. 

Well Handanovic has been the best keeper in Serie A for like 3 years now and has often been the sole reason Solvenia even has a chance in international fixtures.  Meanwhile Lloris literally is only a shot stopper, A world class one granted, but I kind of expect a top goalkeeper to be able to distribute the ball and Lloris is absolutely dreadful in the regard. 

Donnarumma I wouldn't take over Lloris, Ter Stegen I'd have to think about, and I would easily take Handanovic over Lloris. He's just another great player who doesn't get enough credit because he plays on a terrible team.

What exactly has Lloris done to be over Handanovic?

Edited by Imarobot

27 minutes ago, Imarobot said:

Well Handanovic has been the best keeper in Serie A for like 3 years now and has often been the sole reason Solvenia even has a chance in international fixtures.  Meanwhile Lloris literally is only a shot stopper, A world class one granted, but I kind of expect a top goalkeeper to be able to distribute the ball and Lloris is absolutely dreadful in the regard. 

Lloris really isn't as bad in distribution as you're suggesting. Wouldn't call him world class but he's still able to operate very competently within the Spurs system that does rely on him to be a part of their buildup play from the back. He's not a keeper like De Gea or Cech who tend to just boot it long. 

Just for comparison's sake, according to Squawka, last season Lloris had a 75% success rate in distribution with an average distance length of 35 meters. That puts him in close territory to Handanovic, who had a 76% success rate and an average distance of 32 meters. 

The elites in distribution, like Neuer, tend to see their success rate in the mid 80's and their distance a little shorter at below 30 meters, And if we want to actually look at the metrics for a goalkeeper who is genuinely terrible in distribution, Petr Cech checks in with a 64% success rate and an average distance of 40 meters.

So it's not like Lloris is the upper echelon, but I wouldn't necessarily say Handanovic is either, and you're exaggerating the gap in their quality there.

Overall as goalkeepers I think of the rankings are more like a tiered  system - I'd say Neuer and De Gea are the only keepers that are comfortably ahead of Lloris. After that, I'd sort of take Lloris, Handanovic, and Courtois as a 2nd tier, and most of the rest of the guys picked/mentioned in the tiers below. 

Edited by BaltimoreTerp

1 minute ago, BaltimoreTerp said:

Lloris really isn't as bad in distribution as you're suggesting. Wouldn't call him world class but he's still able to operate very competently within the Spurs system that does rely on him to be a part of their buildup play from the back. He's not a keeper like De Gea or Cech who tend to just boot it long. 

Just for comparison's sake, according to Squawka, last season Lloris had a 75% success rate in distribution with an average distance length of 35 meters. That puts him in generally the same territory as Handanovic, who had a 76% success rate and an average distance of 32 meters. 

The elites in distribution, like Neuer, tend to see their success rate in the mid 80's and their distance a little shorter at below 30 meters, And if we want to actually look at the metrics for a goalkeeper who is genuinely terrible in distribution, Petr Cech checks in with a 64% success rate and an average distance of 40 meters.

So it's not like Lloris is the upper echelon, but I wouldn't necessarily say Handanovic is either, and you're exaggerating the gap in their quality there.

Overall as goalkeepers I think of the rankings are more like a tiered  system - I'd say Neuer and De Gea are the only keepers that are comfortably ahead of Lloris. After that, I'd sort of take Lloris, Handanovic, and Courtois as a 2nd tier, and most of the rest of the guys picked/mentioned in the tiers below. 

That I totally agree with. I just thought it was a bit strange to act like Lloris was head and shoulders above the other keepers taken, when like you said I think after Neuer and De Gea its pretty open for debate.