How do you guys feel about trailers?

RamRod

I used to watch trailers all the time. Any time a new one dropped on the internet or before any movie I went and saw in theaters I'd be watching trailers. But lately I've started boycotting them. I just feel like the less you know about a movie going in, the better. I'll admit, I'll probably still watch trailers if it were for something like a Marvel movie or a Star Wars movie but for the most part, I'll be skipping them. I also don't get why movies need like 3-4 different trailers. If you take all the footage from every trailer or promo you could piece together a good bit of the movie.

So how do you guys feel about trailers? Anybody else skip them like me?

I tend to avoid new movie trailers as much as I can. It's tough when there are t.v. spots and trailers prior to your movie starting at the theaters.

I do find trailers to be useful when I am having a tough decision on watching a movie on Netflix or prime. If I am stuck between two or three options, I'll typically go watch the trailers and decide.

I typically watch at least the first one.  At that point if I know it's a movie i'll see, i'll try to avoid the future trailers after that.  Like John Wick 2 and Kingsman 2 I was pretty sure I'd be seeing regardless, but I still watched the first trailer and have generally avoided everything since then.

Generally, I enjoy the ones that I watch.  Frequently, I enjoy them more than the movies they're trailers for (Suicide Squad comes immediately to mind, but there are other examples if I went looking) and very frequently they do their job of hyping me up for movies.   Good examples of this are many of the Marvel movie trailers as well as the recent Star Trek and Star Wars movies.  The 2009 Star Trek trailers also introduced me to one of my favorite music acts: Two Steps From Hell. 

That's not true of all of them though.

In every horror movie/thriller movie trailer, there is a screen flicker.  I HHHHHHAAAAATE that.  It doesn't scare me, it hurts my eyes.  >:(

A few years ago, there was a span where every movie I went to see in theaters had a trailer for the Boxtrolls and i hated that trailer.  I've never seen the movie and having to sit through that trailer every time I went to see a movie has dissuaded me from ever seeing it. 

I think Terminator: Genisys would have been much MUCH better receiver if not for the trailers spoiling the movie. 

I completely missed almost all of the promotional material for Avatar.  In fact, I knew absolutely nothing about the movie going in to see it the first time.  It's my all-time favorite movie (shocking, I know) and I'm not sure I would have enjoyed it as much if I had been swept up by the hype machine so many other people apparently let down by.

I actively avoid horror trailers except for indie horror trailers.  I'll watch about 15 seconds of an indie horror trailer just to judge the acting and production quality. 

I actively avoid trailers for thrillers. 

I will watch trailers to dramas frequently.  If I'm bored by a drama trailer, I know I'll be bored by the movie. 

I will watch comedy trailers.  If there's ever anything not funny in a comedy trailer, I'll know the movie is garbage because they cram everything funny into comedy trailers, so if there's even one joke or line or anything in that type of trailer, the movie is rubbish. 

Sometimes I can't help myself and I go against the above rules.  If it's a top 10 favorite director of mine, I'll skip all trailers. 

If it's something I know a lot about I'll try not to watch anything other than the first trailer. If it's something I'm not familiar I might watch 1-2 to get a feel for if it may be worth watching. BvS ruined trailers for me when they gave the entire story away. I think having 3-4 trailer and multiple TV spots is just overkill.

7 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

If it's something I know a lot about I'll try not to watch anything other than the first trailer. If it's something I'm not familiar I might watch 1-2 to get a feel for if it may be worth watching. BvS ruined trailers for me when they gave the entire story away. I think having 3-4 trailer and multiple TV spots is just overkill.

Basically what JL is doing.

4 minutes ago, O'Doyle Rules said:

Basically what JL is doing.

JL as in Justice League? I'm avoiding everything on that like the plague. I don't want to know a damn thing about it before I see it. Which has been insanely difficult to do.

Archived