DT Dexter Lawrence selected by Giants @ 1.17

Acgott

Dexter Lawrence was a top 25 guy in February had an above average combine and just started falling. To be able to generate manufactured pressure (I.e through a blitz), teams need big bodies upfront to eat up Blocks and open lanes for blitzers. Dexter Lawrence is elite in that regard and is exactly what Bettcher is looking for out of his Nose tackle. Tomlinson is above average in that regard, but Lawrence is elite. What exactly did Sweat accomplish in college to make you think he would have been viable there? He was the best player at EDGE on the board so I assume you wanted him at 17. 

I agree Jones was a reach, but if they believe he is the franchise guy then you get him as early as possible. 

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Dexter Lawrence was a top 25 guy in February had an above average combine and just started falling. To be able to generate manufactured pressure (I.e through a blitz), teams need big bodies upfront to eat up Blocks and open lanes for blitzers. Dexter Lawrence is elite in that regard and is exactly what Bettcher is looking for out of his Nose tackle. Tomlinson is above average in that regard, but Lawrence is elite. What exactly did Sweat accomplish in college to make you think he would have been viable there? He was the best player at EDGE on the board so I assume you wanted him at 17. 

I agree Jones was a reach, but if they believe he is the franchise guy then you get him as early as possible

That would hold true in most drafts. But u have to go by the way of how certain prospects are graded out across many many boards, not just your own. They could've came away with him at 17 bar none. To pass on a guy like Josh Allen and even Ed Oliver was an absolutely horrid mistake. The Redskins were rumored to be interested in Jones. No way in hell they were. They were sitting pat on Haskins the whole time. These teams know this and this was a debacle. My point is ya he's your guy but this was a clear reach and taken at the wrong time costing us an elite pass rusher at minimum. 

2 hours ago, YogiBiz said:

Never said I wouldn’t have preferred a pass rusher. And I was just saying it makes sense why he was the selection over Haskins. So I tell you why two players wouldn’t be a good fit and you immediately jump to the fact “stop protecting Getty like his mom.” You’re overreacting but I’m honestly not surprised. You’re probably one of the most immature posters on here who always ends up eating his words because he always lets his emotions get the better of him. Getty was right last year when we improved two games with his additions. as a REBUILDING (not competing which is what you seem to think is the only thing we are doing) he has made right move after right move and now we’re in line to have a complete O-Line/an offense with young talent that will grow/one of the biggest cap space numbers next year. But hey he’s an idiot that doesn’t know what he’s doing. It’s always funny to see when podcasts and radio hosts invite an actual NFL mind for an interview and they try to bash the Giants the NFL guy is like no, it makes complete sense why the giants made that choice. 

I don’t think I’ve eaten my words yet.  I am very glad to hear that my one to two posts a month on here leave such a propound impact on you for me to be so memorable. 

We went into the draft with one of the worst defenses. We needed pass rushers like crazy.  We need help in the middle of the defense. We need a true free safety. We have 75 slot receivers and no true outside receivers. We have a human turnstile for a right tackle.

Now, let’s examine his great moves. We traded Snacks, and Apple for a 4 and 5 to turn around and use two 1s, a 2, 4, and 5 on their replacements.  Baker is likely better than Apple, though Apple looked pretty solid in NO.  Still, we used two firsts to draft replacement for players we traded for a 4th and 5th.

We traded OBJ and Vernon for Peppers, Zeitler, a 1, and 3.  Zeitler and Peppers help.  Though we wouldn’t have needed Peppers had we tagged LC.  Still, the Giants are better with OBJ, there is no denying that. OBJ is one of the most electric WR to ever play the game. He is a franchise player that wants to win. He spoke out against the losing culture the Giants have and was traded.  To replace him, the Giants signed and extended two slot receivers for about the same money as we were paying OBJ. 

Collins wasn’t tagged nor was he traded last year.  That’s a poor management decision.  You already traded multiple players so the concept of you didn’t want to send the wrong message to locker room is total BS. If a player isn’t in your long term plans, and you have a 2nd or 3rd offer, you trade him. Letting him finish a losing season just to walk at end of season is poor asset management. 

Lets examine our FA signings: We signed basically everyone who had a decent season under Betcher in 2016 and was out of place last season.  Not a single impact player. Tate is 31 and we signed him for 4 years and gave the Eagles a comp pick in the process.  Bethea is 35.  We also extended Pulley who was average at best and resigned Halapio for competition at center.

In my view, that puts us going into the draft with the following holes: Edge, RT, WR1.  We also had the following needs: DE, QB, FS, CB, C, ILB.

With THREE first round draft picks we still have no one to generate any pressure and we still don’t have a right tackle. We passed on one of the most athletic edge rushers in years for an Eli clone to keep the status quo.  That is inexcusable. 

If me criticizing a team that has had a losing culture for at least half a decade and continues to make moves that demonstrate it wants to continue losing upsets you so much that you can recall my posts, then that says a lot more about you than me.  Some of us like to win. 

15 hours ago, Kip Smithers said:

Run stuffer. Doesn’t offer much as a pass rusher.

Yeah this isn't correct.

This pick is to appease Bettcher, because Bettcher was reportedly in love with him. There is a ton of DL talent in this draft, so Lawrence kind of got lost in the shuffle, but he is a freak of nature. No one who is 340 pounds can move the way he does. He tosses people. And his sack numbers don't reflect it, but he is absolutely valuable and productive rushing the passer. He was his entire college career. He's also versatile in that I don't feel uncomfortable putting him anywhere along the line. He can play 1, 3, 5 or anywhere in between. Nick Turchyn remarked he was a beast lining up in 4i.

This pick is mostly viewed unfavorably because he isn't a pass rusher and we took Jones at 6. But this was a great pick. Lawrence is a stud any way you slice it.

• Like 2

Remember when we traded snacks. Teams started to run on us.  Lawrence will put a stop to that and generate a pass rush too.  I believe we was 1st team all American too. Damn we passed of Josh Allen.   Biggest disappointment I believe ever from this organization.  

4 hours ago, Acgott said:

He had 18 sacks in 3 seasons from a DT position. It may not be his best trait, but it seems like he can definitely get in the backfield.

With regularity. People see 340 pounds and good at stopping the run and automatically think he must not be able to get after the quarterback. He definitely can. Not in an Aaron Donald way, because no one but Donald does that, but he at least gives QBs nowhere to step up. 

FWIW- it never really seemed like Bettcher had traditional edge rushers in Arizona. He had a bigger DL and it seems like that is what they are trying to build with these picks. Now you have Lawrence, Tomlinson and BJ Hill up front along with some rotation. It's a very deep unit. The question becomes whether it's enough to generate pressure without top edge rushers, which will probably still be a big struggle.