ARob Poised For A Breakout Year

soulman

Allen Robinson poised for breakout 2nd season with Bears

gettyimages-1090644828.jpg?w=1000&h=600&

When the Chicago Bears signed WR Allen Robinson last March, they did so with the expectation he’d bring with him the kind of playmaking ability that led to 1,400 yards and 14 touchdowns in 2015. Those expectations weren’t met in 2018.

But here’s the reality of the situation: no one thought Robinson would be back to his 2015 form so quickly. He was coming off a torn ACL, an injury that generally takes a full year to get back to 100%, and he was learning an entirely new offense to boot.

Neither of those roadblocks exists this year.

“For me, a big difference (this year) is not being injured,” Robinson said via the Chicago Tribune. “Being able to come in and work on stuff that I want to work on.”

A healthy Robinson, combined with Year 2 in the same offense, should produce significantly better results on the field.

“This is only the second time in my career that I went into another season with the offensive coordinator that I had the year before,” he said. “I’ve been learning new offenses seems like every season. To be back in one that’s very familiar is definitely a plus.”

Robinson appeared in 13 games last season and totaled just 55 catches for 754 yards and four touchdowns. He saved his best performance for the Bears’ playoff loss against the Eagles when he totaled 10 catches for 143 yards and a score.

Robinson is entering the second year of a three-year, $42 million deal.

• Like 1

If he and Mitch can begin to connect like they did in the playoff game it would be a huge boost for the offense.

It's also reached the point where he'll need to have a big year to justify his 2020 paycheck vs just $2 mil in dead cap if we trade or release him.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, soulman said:

If he and Mitch can begin to connect like they did in the playoff game it would be a huge boost for the offense.

It's also reached the point where he'll need to have a big year to justify his 2020 paycheck vs just $2 mil in dead cap if we trade or release him.

Agreed...I really like Robinson but he has to be one of the best receivers in the NFL this year to justify keeping him at that price.

• Like 1

Despite how much we spread the ball around I'd say 1200 minimum and 8-10 TDs.  The TDs may actually become the harder part if we develop as many ways to score as I believe Nagy and his offensive lieutenants will be working on.

What the Bears’ 2019 draft means for WR Taylor Gabriel

by Brendan Sugrue

https://bearswire.usatoday.com/2019/05/09/what-the-bears-2019-draft-means-for-wr-taylor-gabriel/

When the Chicago Bears inked former Falcons WR Taylor Gabriel to a four-year, $26 million dollar deal in March of 2018, he, along with former Jaguars pro-bowl WR Allen Robinson, had the task of turning around the dismal wide receiving corps from 2017 that featured players such as Kendall Wright, Dontrelle Inman, Markus Wheaton, and Tre McBride.

Gabriel did his part, catching 67 passes for 688 yards, both good enough for second highest on the team, along with two touchdowns. His 72% catch rate was the highest among Bears wide receivers with at least 10 receptions and he was a key factor in helping lead the Bears to a 12-4 record. Gabriel figures to once again play an integral part in Matt Nagy's offense in 2019, but there's a strong chance it will be his final season in the blue and orange.

When the Bears drafted former Georgia WR Riley Ridley in the fourth round of the 2019 NFL Draft and signed former Missouri speedster WR Emanuel Hall as an undrafted free agent, it not only gave QB Mitchell Trubisky more weapons to work with going into the fall but gave the team more flexibility going into 2020.

Beginning this fall, it's expected the Bears will extend C/G Cody Whitehair, as Ryan Pace tends to lock players up right before the regular season. Couple that with an upcoming extension for S Eddie Jackson in 2020, plus the fifth-year option for OLB Leonard Floyd, and suddenly the cap doesn't look so friendly anymore. This also doesn't account for the Khalil Mack deal and the impending decision on QB Mitchell Trubisky, who will be looking for a contract extension as early as next offseason.

All of these potential moves mean the Bears will look to save money at certain spots. And given they acquired two receivers who both may be on the active roster come September on rookie deals, Gabriel could be the odd-man out. His deal runs through 2022, but has an out after the 2019 season where the Bears can save $14 million dollars over two years, with a hit of just $2 million in dead money, according to Spotrac.

There's also the situation regarding Robinson, who signed a three-year, $42 million dollar deal. Coming off an ACL injury in 2017, Robinson didn't light up defenses the way he did in Jacksonville, but now healthy for an entire offseason, the 26 year old playmaker is poised for a breakout season.

Depending on his 2019 campaign, the Bears may look to extend him as well, as he will be entering the final year of his deal and is much more of the prototypical WR1 than Gabriel. The Bears could be content with a WR group that features Robinson, Anthony Miller, Ridley, and potentially Hall or Cordarrelle Patterson in 2020.

There are a lot of moving pieces with the salary cap and things can change instantly in the NFL, but if Ridley and even Hall show something this season, it doesn't appear "Turbo" will last much longer in Chicago.

On 5/9/2019 at 1:23 AM, soulman said:

Despite how much we spread the ball around I'd say 1200 minimum and 8-10 TDs.  The TDs may actually become the harder part if we develop as many ways to score as I believe Nagy and his offensive lieutenants will be working on.

I'd like to see them really give Mitchell the keys on goal line plays, do what they did for years with Peyton. 

Call a pass play, let him read the field, if he sees an advantage then he can audible to a run left or right, or if he likes what he sees then just run the play called.

Tru doesn't seem greedy enough to try and force the pass for a TD, and with our top 3 RBs all being threats in the pass game there are a lot of chances to take advantage of something the defense shows. 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2019 at 11:46 AM, soulman said:

If he’s not a cut next offseason then I suspect he’s getting an extension to lessen that 2020 number. He played 13 games last year but was really only healthy in 12 of them. In the NE game he was active but he barely played. His stat line exclusive of the NE game extrapolated over 16 games would be 72/1000/5. If he’s at or above that in 2019 then in 2020 I don’t see him going anywhere. Assuming health I expect his numbers will be bigger - not necessarily CRAZY big, but I’m thinking 80/1120/7 or so. That’s an average 5/70 per game (14.0 ypc is his career average). 

Edited by AZBearsFan
  • Like 1