2020 NFL Draft Thread

Humble_Beast

Just now, BayRaider said:

@MrOaktown_56 I had Kinlaw falling to 22 to the Vikings in my latest mock. 

Before his senior bowl hype, Kinlaw was constantly mocked 17-24 range. 

I’ve noticed throughout the years, the rankings you see in Early-Mid January are usually much more in line with the real rankings. 

The media bends a lot of truths and adds a lot of hype from Feb-April. 

I don't think these scouts have an agenda. I agree with you. He can be very good. But Brown is on another level as a prospect. I wouldn't debate this so much if I didn't think Brown was in play at 12 via a drop in the draft.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

On Jaylon Johnson:

“There were some games he wasn’t even getting challenged. He’s a starting No. 1 corner right now. There’s not a whole lot of holes in him.”

"The Pac-12 isn’t the SEC, but there were some games he just looked bored"

Like I’m trying to inform everyone, before they throw a fit at the “shock” of him being picked at 19 with no notice,

don’t be surprised if he is the pick at 19. I’m saying it now. 

I think Johnson is actually 20-30 on most teams big boards. Even though he’s 35-45 on most media boards. 

Like I’m trying to inform everyone, before they throw a fit at the “shock” of him being picked at 19 with no notice,

don’t be surprised if he is the pick at 19. I’m saying it now. 

I think Johnson is actually 20-30 on most teams big boards. Even though he’s 35-45 on most media boards. 

I like his composure a lot. He's very smart as well, which shows up (and in the video you posted as well).

• Like 1

Johnson actually is 26 on DJ’s board and also 25 on PFF’s board, very strange he is mocked in the 2nd Round of 98% of Media/Fan Mock Drafts. 

4.5 second 40 yard dash. I like CBs to be 4.4 or faster. Call me Al Davis Jr. 

Just now, Steins Gate said:

I feel Johnson is a Ya-Sin clone from last year with better technique and a higher ceiling. 

Ya-Sin is also a 4.50 40 guy, exactly the same speed and body. They are almost clones. 

Ya-Sin was lights out in the second half of the season. 

Just now, Steins Gate said:

There are not enough of those guys. First step quickness and ability to flip your hips are way more important. In press man, you can slow a fast receiver if you know how to get your hands on them properly. Johnson, for example, does and uses it to nullify a receivers speed. 

• Like 1

We all know in an ideal world We would have traded down to around 8-12 and gotten Ferrell.  But as I said before Mayock came right out and said it wasn’t available while we were on the clock.  Obviously we could have found someone to give us a 4th to move back to 12 but that type of compensation isn’t worth it.  
People hardly talk about Allen’s tremendous amount of unblocked sacks in college.  Or that another huge chunk came vs TEs.  
And to say he had one good game is absurd.  He was an elite prospect throughout his college career and the leader of that DL that had 3 1st rounders plus Austin Bryant who slipped into the 4th round.

Ferrell had 6 sacks, 12.5 Tfl, 44 Tkls as a freshman.  9.5 sacks, 18 tfl, 66 tkls as a sophomore.  11.5 sacks, 20tfl, 55 tkls as a junior.  All in the toughest division in college.  
He was unanimously considered a top 7 pick prior to the combine but didn’t run a 40 due to turf toe.  
yes Jordan had nice tape at Cal but so did Ferrell.  
there’s good reason to believe actual scouts and not opinionated amateurs with websites always had Ferrell highly rated.

the problem really was this was a top 3 heavy draft and we picked 4th.  If you compare Ferrell to Devin White, Josh Allen, and Ed Oliver their all in the same tier.  Oliver had a similiar slow start to the season and White really struggled.  

2 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

There are not enough of those guys. First step quickness and ability to flip your hips are way more important. In press man, you can slow a fast receiver if you know how to get your hands on them properly. Johnson, for example, does and uses it to nullify a receivers speed. 

Lets see him nullify Tyreek Hill. 

2 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

I feel Johnson is a Ya-Sin clone from last year with better technique and a higher ceiling. 

Ya-Sin is also a 4.50 40 guy, exactly the same speed and body. They are almost clones. 

Ya-Sin was lights out in the second half of the season. 

Not saying that he can't play. Technique is always welcome. But he will get eaten in our division IMO. 

1 minute ago, Steins Gate said:

Lets see him nullify Tyreek Hill. 

Not saying that he can't play. Technique is always welcome. But he will get eaten in our division IMO. 

We have Mullen for Hill. Plus playing man against KC for more than 20% of the game is suicide anyways. Regardless of your speed at corner. 

The best way to beat KC is Cover 3 Zone, with press, and lots of pressure. 

IND, Both Charger Games, and the Super Bowl, this is exactly what happened. 

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Mr Raider said:

I disagree that landing a guy like Jacobs at 24 didn't take scouting ability in a major way. He obviously showed talent, but he had a much smaller workload and sample size than any RB i can remember going in the top 25 picks in recent memory. A lot of people claimed there wasn't a first round worthy back in the draft last year, including Jacob's. People said he lacked homerun ability, and wasn't used much as a pass catcher, and they knocked him for not getting a heavy workload like most franchise capable backs get in college. 

And it's not like Jacobs played ok or so so. He was amazing prior to the injury. He was the only consistent every week in our offense. You might have thought Jacobs was an easy evaluation, but it wasn't a super common belief that he was going to be worth a first round pick.

Ferrell will be fine. I won't knock a GM with a roster in need of talent everywhere for taking a safe approach with one of his three first round picks. Ferrell was super proven in college. He was as productive as they come, a tremendous leader, and a lot of big game experience and he showed up in those big games. Abram getting hurt is hard to knock Mayock for. Injuries happen. It's not like he had some extensive medical red flags and the obvious happened. And he was fantastic in that one game. If he comes out and plays like a star this season Mayock will be praised. Plus finding Max is simply a steal. It's entirely possible we found a top 5 RB for the next 5+ years, a fifth round pick that had double digit sacks in year one when most considered him raw. A long term starter at CB, DE and safety. And that's assuming none of those guys become stars when I think all are capable. Mayock deserves praise for last years draft, exactly how much is still TBD obviously, but it wasn't a draft we should come away from freaking out about Mayocks ability. 

Yes, I agree with you that the jury is still out for how much credit to give Mayock/Gruden on last years draft. There’s still a lot to be seen.

which is why I am so excited to see Mayock have two picks 10-20. It will say a lot about his draft ability IMO.

Im happy we have Mayock, and I hope Gruden is not influencing his choices much. But if we’re going to be a great team, we can’t be missing on first rounders..especially top 10 picks. 

1.Ferrell shown little promise and that he his pretty solid against the run..(sounds like a 3rd rounder)

2. Abram got hurt..I’m excited to see him this year. I’ve always questioned his coverage ability. 

3. Jacobs did great with a great run blocking o line. I’m not going to give a GM much credit for having their pick of the litter on a RB, and using a first on them. (Most people had Jacobs not getting past us in the first, if he made it to us)

• Like 1

People put too much stock in the exact 40 times.  As you can see from watching the combine a guy might run 4.49 then 4.54.  Another might run back to back 4.50’s.  Player A has a “4.4“ speed and player B has “4.5” speed.  
Johnson’s 4.50 is plenty fast enough to play CB.  His 4.13 short shuttle and 7.01 3cone were also fast enough.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TheMadStork said:

Yes, I agree with you that the jury is still out for how much credit to give Mayock/Gruden on last years draft. There’s still a lot to be seen.

which is why I am so excited to see Mayock have two picks 10-20. It will say a lot about his draft ability IMO.

Im happy we have Mayock, and I hope Gruden is not influencing his choices much. But if we’re going to be a great team, we can’t be missing on first rounders..especially top 10 picks. 

1.Ferrell shown little promise and that he his pretty solid against the run..(sounds like a 3rd rounder)

2. Abram got hurt..I’m excited to see him this year. I’ve always questioned his coverage ability. 

3. Jacobs did great with a great run blocking o line. I’m not going to give a GM much credit for having their pick of the litter on a RB, and using a first on them. (Most people had Jacobs not getting past us in the first, if he made it to us)

How does Mayock not get any credit for picking Jacobs, the by all rights Rookie of the Year?  He easily could have picked someone else but saw the value in Jacobs.

its fair to say im not going to give SF’s GM that much credit for taking Bosa because that’s an obvious choice.  He couldn’t possibly not take Bosa.

but Jacobs could have been skipped over with the plan of taking various other RBs later in the draft.

9 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

We all know in an ideal world We would have traded down to around 8-12 and gotten Ferrell.  But as I said before Mayock came right out and said it wasn’t available while we were on the clock.  Obviously we could have found someone to give us a 4th to move back to 12 but that type of compensation isn’t worth it.  
People hardly talk about Allen’s tremendous amount of unblocked sacks in college.  Or that another huge chunk came vs TEs.  
And to say he had one good game is absurd.  He was an elite prospect throughout his college career and the leader of that DL that had 3 1st rounders plus Austin Bryant who slipped into the 4th round.

Ferrell had 6 sacks, 12.5 Tfl, 44 Tkls as a freshman.  9.5 sacks, 18 tfl, 66 tkls as a sophomore.  11.5 sacks, 20tfl, 55 tkls as a junior.  All in the toughest division in college.  
He was unanimously considered a top 7 pick prior to the combine but didn’t run a 40 due to turf toe.  
yes Jordan had nice tape at Cal but so did Ferrell.  
there’s good reason to believe actual scouts and not opinionated amateurs with websites always had Ferrell highly rated.

the problem really was this was a top 3 heavy draft and we picked 4th.  If you compare Ferrell to Devin White, Josh Allen, and Ed Oliver their all in the same tier.  Oliver had a similiar slow start to the season and White really struggled.  

I just rewatch Josh Allen highlights, I didn’t see one sack vs a TE. Maybe your right? Just didn’t see it. He had many sacks where he was just too fast for the Tackle..maybe your talking about Those? I like those sacks..How many of his 10.5 sacks this year were unblocked? Again, I haven’t seen Josh Allen this year..maybe his 10.5 sacks wer all lucky. He did play with a great d line

I actually always looked at the Elite team that Ferrell played with as a negative. 3 our of 4 players were first rounders, and they often blew out teams=more predictable offenses they faced (they had to throw more). Ferrell is very much like a lot of recent DE’s that came from Clemson. Strong, average athlete, fast enough for college but too slow for nfl DE. He has played like I’ve thought he would play.