What to do about the S&C team? Fire them?

12 minutes ago, lavar703 said:

I doubt they’ll have to if he moronically chose to do that. He’d be put on the reserve/failed to report list and forfeit his contract. He’s not getting paid to sit at home for two years. I know you love to argue but there is no situation where Trent gets paid to not play the next two years. This isn’t an injury situation. He’s just failing to show. 

I'm not trying to argue. You are the one who actually chose this discussion. I'm laying out a possibility and in you're usual ”no way in hell stance, ” you can't admit  that there's a possibility that what I'm saying could happen no matter how small that possibility may be.

11 minutes ago, Woz said:

Any combination that has Flowers involved is a FAIL.

"Christian/Parris(*) - Martin - Roullier - Scherff - Moses" is probably their best option right now.

(*) Damon Harrison might also be a viable choice.

I still say move Moses to LT. You should always have your best OT on the left side if your QB is a right-handed Qb, even if that means he not as good at LT as he is at RT. Not having your best OT blocking your QBs blind side spells disaster if the other options are as bad as ours are.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

I also think it's absurd for the franchise to take on his cap hit for the next two years or even just this year if he chooses to not play. If he seriously won't play this year than the only option they have is to trade him for whatever they can get.

Trent's been paid. Only thing left for him to do is either get a ring and/or make it to to the HoF.

He's not doing either of the latter if he sits the next two years. The Redskins would absorb the same cap hit for trading him as they would to put him on the Reserve/Noninjury (did not report) list. In fact, the cap hit would be accelerated to this year. So no, I doubt we trade him. If he doesn't show up, he gets put on the list.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Any combination that has Flowers involved is a FAIL.

"Christian/Parris(*) - Martin - Roullier - Scherff - Moses" is probably their best option right now.

(*) Damon Harrison might also be a viable choice.

Desmond Harrison has been claimed off waivers by AZ.  Az has been killing it with the waiver wire this off-season. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:

Trent's been paid. Only thing left for him to do is either get a ring and/or make it to to the HoF.

He's not doing either of the latter if he sits the next two years. The Redskins would absorb the same cap hit for trading him as they would to put him on the Reserve/Noninjury (did not report) list. In fact, the cap hit would be accelerated to this year. So no, I doubt we trade him. If he doesn't show up, he gets put on the list.

Yeah, but if the Redskins don't trade TWill and just put him on the non-injury/do not report list then they get no compensation for him except maybe a compensation pick when he signs with another team in 3 years which again, IS STUPID!

It’s also totally plausible that Trent could sit out the next two years sign with say Houston in 2021 and win a Super Bowl with them and then someday get in the Hall of Fame.

Since it’s after June 1st if they trade TWill right now his cap savings for 2019 would be $11.72 million and $12.75 million in 2020. Plenty of $ to use on one or two stars next year and they can draft Trent’s replacement in the top 10 of the 2020 draft. 

Edited by turtle28

3 hours ago, THESKINSFAN21 said:

Desmond Harrison has been claimed off waivers by AZ.  Az has been killing it with the waiver wire this off-season. 

The joys of royally sucking last year.

32 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Yeah, but if the Redskins don't trade TWill and just put him on the non-injury/do not report list then they get no compensation for him except maybe a compensation pick when he signs with another team in 3 years which again, IS STUPID!

If they put him on the Did Not Report list, his contract doesn't move. In two years time, he would still have two years on his contract in Washington.

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, Woz said:

If they put him on the Did Not Report list, his contract doesn't move. In two years time, he would still have two years on his contract in Washington.

Well that seems pointless. If he doesn’t play the Redskins need the help/additional talent added now or next year in terms of a high draft pick, not in 3 years.

No matter what way you slice it, if he refuses to play for us the best thing to do is trade him for a pick and hopefully a starter at OT.

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Well that seems pointless. If he doesn’t play the Redskins need the help/additional talent added now or next year in terms of a high draft pick, not in 3 years.

No matter what way you slice it, if he refuses to play for us the best thing to do is trade him for a pick and hopefully a starter at OT.

The whole purpose of the Did Not Report list is to prevent players from saying "well, I'm not going to show, but you'll have to pay me/let my contract continue on as if I had showed up." That said, it's also an escalation of tension and I doubt they would do that until late in the preseason.

One more time: let's see how deep this refusal is before we start the rending of garments and gnashing of teeth.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

It’s also totally plausible that Trent could sit out the next two years sign with say Houston in 2021 and win a Super Bowl with them and then someday get in the Hall of Fame.

Nope. As @Woz pointed out his contract gets suspended (so to speak). In two years' time he will still be a Redskin. Of course, then they can trade him if they want. But the likelihood that he's gonna be a top flight LT at age 33 having not played in 2 years is not that high. He will literally kill any chance he has of getting into the HoF with this "I'm gonna sit out for two years" talk.

But as Woz said, let'd wait to see how serious he is. We don't need him right now (but would be good) as he still couldn't practice anyway. We will need him for camp though.

I don’t know why we can’t talk about it or shouldn’t brainstorm. I mean that is mostly the reason this forum was created to think through things like this for average fans and for us to have a discussion.

At this point, I’m not exactly saying Trent will be off the team or traded but if he is, I think it’s at least an interesting exercise to discuss what we would get back in a trade and who’s we’d trade with if that does happen.