Nagy Call Patterson "The Trojan"

soulman

Matt Nagy calls Cordarrelle Patterson 'Trojan' for Chicago Bears

ByMatt Eurich 81 minutes ago

Deception will be the name of the game for the Chicago Bears on offense at times this upcoming season.

The organization has added numerous weapons to the mix this offseason and few are more intriguing than Cordarrelle Patterson. The All-Pro kick returner has the ability to makes plays as a wide receiver and can also do some things out of the backfield. When head coach Matt Nagy spoke with The Mully & Haugh Show on 670 The Score on June 5, he was asked about how the team plans on using Patterson this season. He said he has labeled players as "Tiger" or "Zebra" in the past and Patterson has his own name.

"For him we use 'Trojan,'" Nagy said. "I probably just gave a little information away, but I'm ok with it. We can always switch it if we need to. He's known as the 'Trojan' and it goes back to his high school days of thatso it clicks with him. We are so excited to get CP in here. This kid is 6'3" and 225 pounds and can fly. I'm like a kid in a candy store. I have to be careful though, I can't peak too soon. I just got to pull back and use him as we can. He's been unbelievable picking up this offense. I think you guys are going to be really excited when we get to the season to see what he can do."

Calling Patterson the "Trojan" on offense for Chicago likes means the team views him as someone who can be deceptive when on the field. His versatility gives Nagy the ability to move him all around on the field in a variety of different ways.

Taken with the 29th overall pick in the 2013 NFL Draft out of Tennessee by the Minnesota Vikings, Patterson caught 45 passes for 469 yards with four touchdowns, ran the ball 12 times for 158 yards with three touchdowns and returned 43 kickoffs for 1,393 yards with two touchdowns in his rookie season. He was named both a Pro Bowler and an All-Pro for his efforts as a return man. He struggled to make a similar impact on offense the next four seasons but did put together another Pro Bowl and All-Pro year in 2016 as a return man.

Patterson finished the 2016 campaign by returning 25 kickoffs for 792 yards with one touchdown.

He then spent one season with the Oakland Raiders in 2017. He finished the year with 31 receptions for 309 yards and ran the ball 13 times for 121 yards with two rushing touchdowns. He also returned 19 kickoffs for 538 yards. Patterson was then traded to the New England Patriots in March of 2018. He caught 21 passes for 247 yards with three receiving touchdowns and ran the ball 42 times for 228 yards with one rushing touchdown. He also returned 23 kickoffs for 663 yards with one touchdown this past season.

The speedster entered last year with just 44 career carries between 2013 and 2017 before earning 42 carries last year with the Patriots. New England did not try to use him as a featured back but the team understood how to get the most out of him as a weapon. He ended the year by averaging a respectable 5.4 yards per carry.

Nagy is not giving away too much in terms of how the Bears are going to use him, but his versatility is going to make Patterson worth watching whenever he steps onto the field for the Bears.

I hope they use him a lot.  

I wish they went with an all speed line up and drafted Justice Hill and paired him with Patterson and Cohen and said match up ******* and ran every play off a jet fake and zone RPO.  

But it's tough to rewrite your playbook and probably better overall to have a conventional back. 

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

You know you aren't supposed to paste whole article.  Fair use means you post a blurb and link.

Just paste first paragraph or best one.  

Author needs his clicks and all benefit that comes with them.

That's why I also post the link.

Been doing it for years on several other sites and from a myriad of sources and no source has ever complained or filed a cease and desist as long as the source link is also posted.  In order to discuss the content it should be posted for all to read and I get no commercial benefit from posting it.

Most wouldn't even know these articles exist if I didn't post and link them.

• Like 4

1 hour ago, dll2000 said:

I wish they went with an all speed line up and drafted Justice Hill and paired him with Patterson and Cohen and said match up ******* and ran every play off a jet fake and zone RPO.  

But it's tough to rewrite your playbook and probably better overall to have a conventional back. 

Patterson is the kind of guy whose impact won't show up as much in his stats as it will others and in the W/L column.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, dll2000 said:

We can still do that putting Patterson, Cohen, and Whyte on the field together.  

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Superman(DH23) said:

We can still do that putting Patterson, Cohen, and Whyte on the field together.  

Gabriel as well, and to really sell out on speed we could do Hall (if he makes the team of course).

Can still be a bit unpredictable as there are several people who can run out of the backfield, and literally everyone can be used on jet-sweeps.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Sugashane said:

Gabriel as well, and to really sell out on speed we could do Hall (if he makes the team of course).

Can still be a bit unpredictable as there are several people who can run out of the backfield, and literally everyone can be used on jet-sweeps.

Gabriel doesn’t do well with ball in his hand near line of scrimmage. 

Just use him to keep at least one deep safety on field. 

10 hours ago, dll2000 said:

Gabriel doesn’t do well with ball in his hand near line of scrimmage. 

Just use him to keep at least one deep safety on field. 

But... he rarely gets his hands on the ball AWAY from the LOS. Now I don't know what to think...

4 hours ago, Tyty said:

Ahh, cause he’s not going to be impregnating the endzone, gotcha

As my wife has said to me, I will repeat to you.

giphy.gif

• Like 2

Cordarelle Patterson believes he can play any position in Matt Nagy's offense

usatsi_11491034.jpg?w=1000&h=600&crop=1

By: Alyssa Barbieri | 15 hours ago

Cordarelle Patterson isn’t a fan of labels. People like to classify him as a receiver or a running back or a kick returner, but Patterson isn’t confined to one specific role.

Patterson might be labeled a wide receiver on the Chicago Bears roster, but the free agent signing believes he can play any position on the field.

“I can put anything on the field I put my mind to,” Patterson told reporters after Wednesday’s OTA practice. “When I get out there, I feel unstoppable.”

Patterson, who was most recently with the Patriots, has played everything from receiver to running back to kick returner.

Patterson’s versatility makes him a big-play threat on the field. And with Matt Nagy calling the plays, there’s no telling what Patterson is yet to be capable of.

Related

Bears RB coach says Mike Davis will be 'tremendous asset' in 2019

“Whatever Nagy needs me to do, I can do it,” Patterson said.

He can run, he can catch and apparently he can throw, too. During Wednesday’s OTA practice, Patterson was spotted throwing some passes to fellow receiver Taylor Gabriel.

Cordarrelle Patterson threw at least 3 deep balls to Taylor Gabriel in practice today, one of which he dropped, prompting Patterson to joke that he won’t be throwing his way going forward.

— Mark Grote (@markgrotesports) June 5, 2019

Who knows, maybe Nagy’s got a special play made just for Patterson to showcase his throwing ability. Nothing is out of the question when Nagy’s back there calling plays.