Top 100 Player Countdown for 2019

DoleINGout

6 hours ago, Art_Vandalay said:

I agree with @Thomas5737 about Brees and his age starting to show. He'll still have a good season but not sure I'd put him in the top 10.

Good job putting Fletcher Cox in the top 10 though 👍🏻

On 7/6/2019 at 12:49 AM, DoleINGout said:

Ten biggest risers in 2019 (Anticipated heading into 2020):

Saquon Barkley

Baker Mayfield

Jalen Ramsey

Jared Goff

Pat Mahomes

Deshaun Watson

Odell Beckham

Deion Jones

Jaylon Smith

Jamal Adams

On 7/6/2019 at 12:57 AM, DoleINGout said:

Ten biggest anticipated fallers from my list heading into 2020:

Drew Brees

Tom Brady

Philip Rivers

Julio Jones

Keenan Allen

Harrison Smith

Earl Thomas

Duane Brown

Marshal Yanda (retiring)

Tyreek Hill (indefinite suspension if upheld)

Coming off the year Brees had with that many comebacks and his level of intangibles and accuracy I can't say I feel there is a better player currently heading into the 2019 season. Maybe Brady, maybe Kuechly, if you want to argue Donald cause of his stats too then fine.

Now, by the time the playoffs roll around I'm sure Brees will have some similar velocity and distance loss on his passes to last season. However, expect to see an even stronger ground game and balanced approach with less demanded of Brees than before. Having Jared Cook and even rookie Alize Mack as tight ends is going to pair very well with their backs and all speedy receivers. Latavious Murray is an X-Factor for the Saints to accomplish this in 2019. Last season, Murray had one of the highest average yards per carry against stacked formations of eight men in the box.

Anyways, the Saints balance will help keep Brees fresh like the Patriots accomplished with Tom Brady last year and ai believe it will pay serious dividends. I think we won't see the decline from Brees because of how differently preserved he'll be. (Brady, for what it's worth to ya'lls, is incorporating more weight training into his regimen than he had been in recent years. Some of the decline in arm strength from Brady was a result of intentional training away from muscle mass to increase pliability thus avoiding injury on QB hits. Brady has publicly stated he noticed a slight decrease from what he was used to directly correlated to the training he designed. 2019 I think will appear to be better years for both QB's thus I don't think they're dropping off from top 5 players in the NFL.) Heading into 2020 however is a different story for Brady and I think more so Brees.

On 7/6/2019 at 12:00 PM, DoleINGout said:

As disruptive as Donald is rushing the passer, he is still undersized and was neutralized in the playoffs by the Saints and Patriots when it counted most. Brees, Kuechly, and Brady provide a greater impact consistently from what I have seen to elevate their teams to success.

You are a Rams fan I take it, so I understand your appreciation of Aaron Donald is greater than mine. Just like I, a Pats fan, may have a stronger appreciation for Tom Brady. In the end however, they're both so great that the difference we're discussing is like splitting hairs. It may just come down to personal preference and philosophy.

As far as QBs go, they will always be able to impact the game more. If that's a criteria, every above average QB should be above every other position.

The Brees ranking really makes no sense. Obviously a lot of people talked about the blown DPI call, and rightfully so - but it took away from the fact that Goff went toe-to-toe with Brees and ultimately outplayed him down the stretch. The Rams held the Saints - in New Orleans - under 300 yards of offense. I can't recall that happening anytime recently. And they'd have been held under 300 even if they call the DPI and the Saints win the game. Brees looked nearly done down the stretch last year, and it carrier over into the playoffs.

1 hour ago, FrantikRam said:

If that's a criteria, every above average QB should be above every other position.

The criteria is more specific in the first post of this thread.

For my rankings, nothing was decided solely by how often a player handled the football. However, on some level, a players impact on the team is a major factor. In essence, choosing the person who I think currently displays the greatest sum of all parts necessary to win is not just taking positional value into consideration.

Ever so slightly, Drew Brees wins-out over the next closest competition for best player heading into 2019. After seven game winning drives and six fourth quarter comebacks in 2018 during the regular season alone, only for the playoffs to be a little underwhelming by comparison, Brees proved his capacity to repeatedly step up better than anyone else when the moment called for it.

As for the others ahead of Donald, I think Brady does more for the Patriots run offense than Donald does for the Rams run defense. Kuechly, Brady, and Donald all dominate the passing game in various ways to similar degrees. Kuechly dominates in coverage diagnosing plays for the rest of the defense, Brady's play recognition leads to timely execution on the biggest stages consistently, and Donald dominates in rushing the pass to disrupt play execution.

On 6/28/2019 at 8:34 AM, DoleINGout said:

#31 Kevin Byard

Safety for the Titans. Impact player in coverage as far as creating turnovers and eliminating offenses from creating big plays. Arguably the most well-rounded safety to play in the last two full seasons.

Too low.

• 1 month later...

Watchlist: Dak Prescott, Marlon Mack, James Connor, Tarik Cohen, Mark Andrews, Calvin Ridley, Amari Cooper, Nick Chubb, Allen Robinson, Derrick Henry, Kirk Cousins, Kevin Zeitler

Any other offensive players nominated from your team for the top 100?

Edited by DoleINGout

Updated "Top 100" Consists Of (By Position):

QUARTERBACK:

Brady

Watson

Wilson

Mahomes

Brees

Rodgers

Rivers

Prescott

Goff