Toy Story 4

Manny/Patrick

Im sure its great, but in all honesty, I just dont care about this franchise anymore. And judging by the box office, Im not the only one.

I thought TS3 was overrated, and really loathed watching everyone cream themselves over it. It was a good movie, but it all feels so repetitive to me, and people hoist all of their unresolved childhood emotions on the movie (which I argue arent really there, its all just vague enough that people can project) and from the first few reviews Ive seen of TS4, I think im going to feel much the same about this one.

Im sure this all  is an unpopular opinion, atleast one to actually put in public, but nothing in those trailers made me go, "I really need to see this"

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Im sure its great, but in all honesty, I just dont care about this franchise anymore. And judging by the box office, Im not the only one.

I mean, it still made a lot of money.

I agree that Toy Story 3 is overrated though. It rehashed a lot of stuff from the 2nd one.

59 minutes ago, seminoles1 said:

I mean, it still made a lot of money.

Well ofcourse, anytime you break $100m its nothing to turn your nose up at. But it fell plenty short (15%+) of the most conservative expectations, which were already corrected for the low Summer Box Office we have been seeing.

The most common reaction i saw from people who arent major movie buffs was "Really? Another one? I thought they already finished this franchise."

4 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

5th best box office total of a June opener (all time).  Beat out Toy Story 3.

So, i don't think that's accurate.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, theJ said:

5th best box office total of a June opener (all time).  Beat out Toy Story 3.

So, i don't think that's accurate.

Why does it matter compared to other June releases? The Box Office landscape has severely shifted in the last decade and even more in the past 2-3.

And as we have seen, openings of Franchise installments are all based on the popularity of the previous film. Just look at the fluctuations in the X-Men franchise

Again, it fell short of the lowest, mitigated expectations.Going up against basically nothing, movie or even other entertainment wise

19 minutes ago, StLunatic88 said:

Why does it matter compared to other June releases?

I have no hard data, but i've always heard/been told that the release month matters a ton in terms of box office revenue.  Some months just aren't heavy movie months.

Again, no data, just hearsay.  Feel free to prove me wrong.  Idc.

1 minute ago, theJ said:

I have no hard data, but i've always heard/been told that the release month matters a ton in terms of box office revenue.  Some months just aren't heavy movie months.

Again, no data, just hearsay.  Feel free to prove me wrong.  Idc.

I knew what point you were trying to make. And my point is, comparing things now to how they were done 10-20-30 years ago doesnt always make sense. 

Used to be Jan-Feb were just the dumping ground for movies that studios had no faith in. That has changed alot in the past couple of years. August used to be the same way, its also changed. There are still your biggest times of year to make money (Christman. Start of Summer, etc) but you can make money in just about every month now.

3 hours ago, StLunatic88 said:

Well ofcourse, anytime you break $100m its nothing to turn your nose up at. But it fell plenty short (15%+) of the most conservative expectations, which were already corrected for the low Summer Box Office we have been seeing.

The most common reaction i saw from people who arent major movie buffs was "Really? Another one? I thought they already finished this franchise."

I would argue they weren't adjusted lower for the disappointing summer, but adjusted up as the savior of the summer.

It opened lower than I or anyone thought, but this still set a franchise record and was a huge opening. I'm simply trying to say that, contrary to your original point, people still care for this franchise.

• Like 1

It made the most in its opening than the other 3. Studios might’ve thought it would’ve made a lot more but it’s the 4th one of the series, did they think it was going to make Incredibles 2 money or something? It’s the third highest opening for a Pixar movie. Crazy that people think it underperformed 

Edited by Fresh Prince

1 minute ago, seminoles1 said:

I would argue they weren't adjusted lower for the disappointing summer, but adjusted up as the savior of the summer.

It opened lower than I or anyone thought, but this still set a franchise record and was a huge opening. I'm simply trying to say that, contrary to your original point, people still care for this franchise.

What did you think it would make?

2 minutes ago, Fresh Prince said:

What did you think it would make?

Closer to $150 million. Greatest and most beloved franchise in animated history, summer was due for an uptick after the last month, ticket inflation compared to the previous entry.

It has a chance for huge legs though. No other animated movie releasing for a long time and great reviews and word of mouth.

15 hours ago, seminoles1 said:

So it under preformed opening weekend? That was the point I was making, and I till think people have fallen off this train. Im not saying people are abandoning ship here, but just that some people had concluded their Toy Story adventure and didnt need anymore