Toy Story 4

Manny/Patrick

On 6/25/2019 at 2:49 PM, MakeDenverGreatAgain said:

I don't get it. The budget on an animated movie is nothing compared to a normal Summer blockbuster, so even if it under performs it's still destined to make a boatload of cash.

That's not really true. Plenty of animated movies are super expensive. I mean Toy Story 3 cost $200 million to make.

On 6/24/2019 at 9:30 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Im sure its great, but in all honesty, I just dont care about this franchise anymore.

I'm kind of in this boat as well.  I love the first Toy Story and the second one was also good.  The trailer for TS4 didn't look very appealing to me, tbh.  I'm def going to watch it at some point because I kind of feel obligated to.  I've seen all the others, so why not watch the newest one. 

• Like 1

On 6/26/2019 at 9:07 PM, showtime said:

I'm kind of in this boat as well.  I love the first Toy Story and the second one was also good.  The trailer for TS4 didn't look very appealing to me, tbh.  I'm def going to watch it at some point because I kind of feel obligated to.  I've seen all the others, so why not watch the newest one. 

It's outstanding.  It's prolly the funniest of the 4 and the animation is obviously the best.  It's such an homage to classic cinema too esp the scenes in the second hand store (it's like a love letter to Hitchcock and others).  This one hits you in the feels even more than the ending of 3 imo.

I'd rank them:

Toy Story 3
Toy Story 4
Toy Story
Toy Story 2

Edited by thrILL!

Toy Story 4's adjusted gross after two weeks worldwide is less than one million behind Toy Story 2's entire box office run.  It's clear to me that they should have stopped with Toy Story 3 and that fans are showing there wasn't much interest in this one. 

• Like 1

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  I was all aboard the "Toy Story 3 was the perfect conclusion, don't mess with it" bandwagon, but I guess you have to give Pixar a lot of trust that they know what they are doing because they made it work.  I liked the angle of Woody being the Toy slowly forgotten (Bonnie didn't even notice he was missing), and the themes of being lost/without purpose and in turn finding your way in the world to what makes you happy was a good message to convey to the next generation of kids.  Had huge doubts about Duck and Bunny from the trailers, but they were hilarious.  Buzz's inner voice was a good running gag for me, although I kind of get the complaint I heard earlier in this thread about dumbing him down.  However, he's always been kind of dumb, and they still made him brave and willing to help his friends.

Toy Story 3 still feels like it would have been the perfect conclusion to the franchise.  Toy Story 4 I feel the exact opposite about.  It's ready made to spin into multiple more movies, and I think that kind of ending was definitely a conscious effort by Pixar.  We'll be hearing about Toy Story 5 centered around Woody, Bo, Bunny, Duck, and Duke Kaboom (also enjoyed his side arc a good bit) before too long.

Toy Story Rankings

1. Toy Story
  2. Toy Story 3
  3. Toy Story 4
  4. Toy Story 2

Pixar Rankings

1. Toy Story
  2. Finding Nemo
  3. Toy Story 3
  4. Coco
  5. Monsters Inc
  6. Inside Out
  7. Wall-E
  8. Toy Story 4
  9. The Incredibles
  10. Toy Story 2
  11. Cars
  12. The Incredibles 2
  13. Up
  14. Cars 3
  15. Brave
  16. Ratatouille
  17. Cars 2
  18. A Bug's Life
  19. Monsters University
  20. Finding Dory
  21. The Good Dinosaur (last, by a lot, like a lot a lot)
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

I enjoyed it more than I thought I would.  I was all aboard the "Toy Story 3 was the perfect conclusion, don't mess with it" bandwagon, but I guess you have to give Pixar a lot of trust that they know what they are doing because they made it work.  I liked the angle of Woody being the Toy slowly forgotten (Bonnie didn't even notice he was missing), and the themes of being lost/without purpose and in turn finding your way in the world to what makes you happy was a good message to convey to the next generation of kids.  Had huge doubts about Duck and Bunny from the trailers, but they were hilarious.  Buzz's inner voice was a good running gag for me, although I kind of get the complaint I heard earlier in this thread about dumbing him down.  However, he's always been kind of dumb, and they still made him brave and willing to help his friends.

Toy Story 3 still feels like it would have been the perfect conclusion to the franchise.  Toy Story 4 I feel the exact opposite about.  It's ready made to spin into multiple more movies, and I think that kind of ending was definitely a conscious effort by Pixar.  We'll be hearing about Toy Story 5 centered around Woody, Bo, Bunny, Duck, and Duke Kaboom (also enjoyed his side arc a good bit) before too long.

Toy Story Rankings

1. Toy Story
  2. Toy Story 3
  3. Toy Story 4
  4. Toy Story 2

Pixar Rankings

1. Toy Story
  2. Finding Nemo
  3. Toy Story 3
  4. Coco
  5. Monsters Inc
  6. Inside Out
  7. Wall-E
  8. Toy Story 4
  9. The Incredibles
  10. Toy Story 2
  11. Cars
  12. The Incredibles 2
  13. Up
  14. Cars 3
  15. Brave
  16. Ratatouille
  17. Cars 2
  18. A Bug's Life
  19. Monsters University
  20. Finding Dory

giphy.gif

• Like 1

16 hours ago, THE DUKE said:

Pixar Rankings

1. Toy Story
  2. Finding Nemo
  3. Toy Story 3
  4. Coco
  5. Monsters Inc
  6. Inside Out
  7. Wall-E
  8. Toy Story 4
  9. The Incredibles
  10. Toy Story 2
  11. Cars
  12. The Incredibles 2
  13. Up
  14. Cars 3
  15. Brave
  16. Ratatouille
  17. Cars 2
  18. A Bug's Life
  19. Monsters University
  20. Finding Dory

I always find these lists interesting.  I couldn't even finish Coco.  I'd have that 2nd last if only bcuz the animation is of a higher quality than A Bug's Life which I never could get into. The animation is so basic.  I liked Cars 3 better than 1 or 2 but still not a fan of that franchise.  I've only seen Brave once and it was meh.  I liked Monster's University better than Monsters, Inc.  I think A Good Dinosaur is very underrated albeit darker than most of their films.  Glad to see see Up at a reasonable spot.  It's by far the most overrated Pixar movie imo. It has an incredible 1st act but goes off the rails once it reaches the island.  I liked Finding Dory until the driving the van sequence where it took me out of the movie.

01 Toy Story 3
02 WALL-E
03 The Incredibles
04 Finding Nemo
05 Toy Story 4
06 Toy Story
07 Inside Out
08 The Incredibles 2
09 Monster's University
10  Toy Story 2
11 Ratatouille
12 Monster's Inc
13 Finding Dory
14 A Good Dinosaur 
15 Cars 3
16 Up
17 Cars
18 Brave
19 Cars 2
20 Coco
21 A Bug's Life

6 hours ago, thrILL! said:

I always find these lists interesting.  I couldn't even finish Coco.  I'd have that 2nd last if only bcuz the animation is of a higher quality than A Bug's Life which I never could get into. The animation is so basic.  I liked Cars 3 better than 1 or 2 but still not a fan of that franchise.  I've only seen Brave once and it was meh.  I liked Monster's University better than Monsters, Inc.  I think A Good Dinosaur is very underrated albeit darker than most of their films.  Glad to see see Up at a reasonable spot.  It's by far the most overrated Pixar movie imo. It has an incredible 1st act but goes off the rails once it reaches the island.  I liked Finding Dory until the driving the van sequence where it took me out of the movie.

01 Toy Story 3
02 WALL-E
03 The Incredibles
04 Finding Nemo
05 Toy Story 4
06 Toy Story
07 Inside Out
08 The Incredibles 2
09 Monster's University
10  Toy Story 2
11 Ratatouille
12 Monster's Inc
13 Finding Dory
14 A Good Dinosaur 
15 Cars 3
16 Up
17 Cars
18 Brave
19 Cars 2
20 Coco
21 A Bug's Life

I know i'm higher on Coco than most but I really enjoyed it and it's held up on multiple viewings for me.  It took me three viewings to get through The Good Dinosaur because the first two times I fell asleep watching it.  Zero desire to ever watch it again.  I don't mind a dark movie whatsoever, it just didn't keep my interest at all.  Monsters University feels like a cash grab to me and didn't have nearly the heart of the original.  Finding Dory was another one where I was half way through and I just didn't care.  The movie didn't grab me at all.  I know i'm higher on Cars than most and lower on The Incredibles than most.  I'm sure part of Cars is that my twins looooooooved Cars when they were little so I've seen it many a time and I think it has a pretty high rewatch factor.