2020 NBA Draft Thread

NYRaider

1 hour ago, YogiBiz said:

No way the Knicks get rid of Randle's contract and move up to #1. That's just not plausible. 

1 hour ago, beekay414 said:

What? James Johnson makes $3 Million less than Randle and Randle's last year is partially guaranteed at $4 Million. Minnesota definitely considers taking on a 2022 1st in a potentially loaded draft for that extra $7 million. That could be a huge asset in trade talks.

Plus, there's a very, very real chance the #8 pick is better than the #1 pick in this draft. This is not the draft you want #1 at all.

I'm not a huge fan of Randle but he's definitely an upgrade over James Johnson, fills a need at the 4 spot for the Wolves, and gives them the third scoring option that they currently lack. The Knicks would probably also have to throw in the 27th pick to get the deal done though. 

The Wolves don't really need to save cap space because they're never going to be a free agent destination. From Minnesota's perspective it makes sense because neither Edwards or Ball really fits well with DLo/KAT, they'd be adding another young player that has proven he can be a 20+ ppg scorer, they'd be adding an additional late first round pick this year, and they'd be getting another first round pick in 2022 in a potentially stacked draft class.

This move would give them #8, #17, and #27 in this years class. And they could target someone like Isaac Okoro or Devin Vassell at #8 who are both better fits with their roster than Edwards or Ball. 

17 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

i know this is next year but why is Jalen Green ranked so much higher than Josh Christopher? Based off highlights, Josh looks more impressive. 

FWIW 247's final ranking had Green ranked #2 and Christopher ranked #8. The main reason he's ranked so much higher is because Green is a freak athlete and one of the most explosive players to come out of HS in the last decade. I've seen a few young Kobe comparisons for Green but personally he reminds me a lot of Zach LaVine. He has the potential to be an elite scorer in the league. 

Christopher is super skilled and should have a big year at Arizona State scoring the ball. But he's just a good athlete by NBA standards and isn't very explosive. I've seen him compared to Wesley Matthews and Norman Powell online and I think those are two realistic comparisons for him. He's more of a bully when he's trying to create and gets by more so on using his size and strength rather than being able to explode past guys. He's also just an okay shooter so I don't think his game translates as well as Green's does to the NBA level. 

That 2021 and 2022 draft classes look like they're going to be very good. In 2021 Cade Cunningham, Johnathan Kuminga, Jalen Green, and Evan Mobley look like elite prospects. And in 2022 Patrick Baldwin, AJ Griffin, Paolo Banchero, and Chet Holmgren all look like elite prospects. There's also a chance that Emoni Bates could reclassify and enter the 2022 draft as well and he looks like a generational talent. 

Obviously a long ways to go but I'd compare their upsides as prospects as follows.

Cade Cunningham - Grant Hill 

Johnathan Kuminga - Pascal Siakam

Jalen Green - Zach LaVine

Evan Mobley - Kevin Garnett 

Patrick Baldwin - Jayson Tatum

Paolo Banchero - Tobias Harris

Chet Holmgren - Dirk Nowitzki 

AJ Griffin - Jimmy Butler 

mrydtrjb1aqp55f7uosb

Kira Lewis | CG | Alabama 

Mesurable's: 6'3" 175 | 6'5" wingspan 

2019 Statistics: 18.5 ppg | 4.8 rpg | 5.2 apg | 1.8 spg | 3.5 topg on .459 FG | .366 3FG | .802 FT 

Strengths

+ Elite quickness and acceleration 

+ Can score at all three levels

+ Good shooter both off the bounce and in catch and shoot situations 

+ Can consistently create his own offense

+ High basketball IQ 

+ Potential as a pick-n-roll ball handler

+ Good on ball defender and team defender 

Weaknesses

- Extremely frail 

- Below average size and length for a two guard

- Somewhat of a tweener guard stuck between the 1 & 2

- Lacks switch-ability defensively because of his limited size, strength, and length

- Just an average passer and playmaker for teammates

Comparisons

Ceiling: DeAaron Fox

Realistic: Dennis Schroder 

Floor: Keyon Dooling

Analysis

Lewis is an absolute blur in the open court and one of the quicker guards to come into the league in recent years. He does an excellent job of using his quickness to beat defenders off the bounce and has a balanced scoring approach as a guy that can score at all three levels. He's a creative finisher around the rim, a nice floater, and can hit three's at an above average clip both off the bounce and in catch and shoot situations. One cause for concern about Lewis as a prospect is that he's more of an undersized two at this stage then a point guard as he is at his best when he's looking to be agressive and score the ball. Lewis is also extremely frail and has average length which limits his defensive ability at the next level because he won't be able to switch onto bigger players. With that said though he still projects as an above average on-ball defender and should be able to hold his own on the defensive end. Despite his lack of size and length Lewis should still be an efficient scorer in the league because he's quick enough to blow by most defenders and his versatile skill-set makes him a threat to score from any area in the half-court while he'll also be a force attacking in transition. He reminds me a lot of Dennis Schroder and I think he'd be best suited to play in a similar role as a 6th man that's primary job is to get buckets off the bench. As of now he looks like a mid-first round pick and should be able to contribute for a playoff team that's looking to add some more scoring to their rotation. 

Team fits: Orlando, Dallas, Philadelphia, Utah

One guard that I think can be a steal in the late 1st/early 2nd is Grant Riller out of Charleston. I think he'd be a perfect fit with the Bucks at #24, Knicks at #27, or the Lakers at #28. He compares pretty well with Fred Vanvleet and I think he could have a pretty similar career path as a small school guard that develops into a good scorer off the bench and potentially a fringe starter down the road. He's a lot more advanced as a scorer than VanVleet at the same stage though and should be able to contribute as a rookie. 

Edited by NYRaider

3 hours ago, NYRaider said:

One guard that I think can be a steal in the late 1st/early 2nd is Grant Riller out of Charleston. I think he'd be a perfect fit with the Bucks at #24, Knicks at #27, or the Lakers at #28. He compares pretty well with Fred Vanvleet and I think he could have a pretty similar career path as a small school guard that develops into a good scorer off the bench and potentially a fringe starter down the road. He's a lot more advanced as a scorer than VanVleet at the same stage though and should be able to contribute as a rookie. 

he's a bucket getter but he is terrible defensively

his scoring package is kinda crazy tho. he can hit step backs, floaters, midrange fadeaways from the post, etc. 

18 hours ago, 49er pride said:

i know this is next year but why is Jalen Green ranked so much higher than Josh Christopher? Based off highlights, Josh looks more impressive. 

i don't really follow high school bball but a bunch of ppl i follow on twitter do and i think josh is crazy inconsistent

4 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

he's a bucket getter but he is terrible defensively

his scoring package is kinda crazy tho. he can hit step backs, floaters, midrange fadeaways from the post, etc. 

Yeah he definitely needs to be better defensively. But I think his game will translate well to the next level. Most small school guys fail because they're not athletic enough but he's one of the quicker guards in the class and you can make a case that he has the best first step in the class as well. If I was a playoff team at the end of the 1st round looking to add some more scoring to my bench I'd definitely take RIller over guys like Maxey, Ramsey, Mannion, etc. 

Other than Morant he's definitely the best small school guard/scorer to enter the draft since CJ McCollum. I think the Knicks at #27 would be the perfect landing spot for him and if he did end up there I think he'd have a realistic chance to be ROY. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, 11sanchez11 said:

i don't really follow high school bball but a bunch of ppl i follow on twitter do and i think josh is crazy inconsistent

He wasn't that efficient scoring in HS or AAU. And I don't know how well his game translates to the NBA because he's a good but not great athlete and he's a below average 3 point shooter. 

23 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

He wasn't that efficient scoring in HS or AAU. And I don't know how well his game translates to the NBA because he's a good but not great athlete and he's a below average 3 point shooter. 

Insane how athletic NBA players are. In HS he reminds me of Wade level athleticism but Wesley Matthew? lol

15 minutes ago, 49er pride said:

Insane how athletic NBA players are. In HS he reminds me of Wade level athleticism but Wesley Matthew? lol

I think he's more strong then explosive. From what I've seen from him it looks like he gets his looks using his size and strength more than his quickness or explosiveness. Either way though the reason people are so high on Jalen Green is because he's on another level athletically. I like Green as a prospect but I don't think he's on the same level as Cunningham or Kuminga. 

My early rankings for 2021

1. Cade Cunningham | CG | Oklahoma State

2. Johnathan Kuminga | F | G-League 

3. Evan Mobley | FC | USC 

4. Jalen Green | CG | G-League

5. Ziaire Williams | F | Stanford

6. Usman Garuba | FC | Spain

7. Ibou Dianko Badji | C | Spain

8. Jalen Johnson | F | Duke

9. BJ Boston | SG | Kentucky

10. Jalen Suggs | PG | Gonzaga