Clowney Franchise Tag

Golfman

I wonder how much Clowney would get on the open market. I'm actually higher on him than most. I think he deserves around 18-20 million annually, but not for the sack #'s he generates, rather the disruption in the run and pass game. I'm not sure who'd give it to him though.

Possibly Oakland, though I understand why teams are wary to allocate so much money to 1 player, albeit a pass rusher.

20 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

I wonder how much Clowney would get on the open market. I'm actually higher on him than most. I think he deserves around 18-20 million annually, but not for the sack #'s he generates, rather the disruption in the run and pass game. I'm not sure who'd give it to him though.

Possibly Oakland, though I understand why teams are wary to allocate so much money to 1 player, albeit a pass rusher.

Definitely Oakland. Gruden would have to do it for not spending that much on Mack and looking like an idiot afterward by saying pass rushers are hard to find lol

25 minutes ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Belichick would love to get his hands on Clowney but we have no cap room unfortunately. But you are right, he is an elite football player. Flowers on steroids.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Tyty said:

Definitely Oakland. Gruden would have to do it for not spending that much on Mack and looking like an idiot afterward by saying pass rushers are hard to find lol

I think Mayock is just as much running the show now. 

Legit I think he was trolling when he said that, but he wasn't wrong. Most teams never let go of good pass rushers.

We traded Mack because the foundation of the team was garbage. No even decent team in their right mind would trade Mack, but considering that we played like an expansion team last year, it wouldn't have made sense to give him 24 million per year, as he'll probably be toward the end of his prime by the time we're (hopefully) good again.

Now Clowney in 2020, where we have 2 1st round picks and have hopefully started to be decent again is another story, especially considering he'll be only 27 as a free agent next year. 

It's a matter of timing. Especially considering teams won't have to give up draft capital to get him, barring a trade this year.