Clowney Franchise Tag

Golfman

13 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Sounds like the Texans understand the time value of money.  Even though they know they'll lose and have to pay out eventually, they know to hold onto that money as long as possible.  Can't really blame them.  Up to the NFLPA to do something about it in the next negotiation if they want to avoid this issue going forward.

I guess that's one way to look at it, but you've also got to consider - the Texans have $30mm+ in cap space, and really have no immediate plans for that money.

Is there any benefit to isolate one of your top 5 players and your #2 defender for what amounts to $1.7mm? What sort of message does this send? Are you creating any sort of good will to keep Clowney beyond this season?

I'm all but certain Clowney is playing somewhere else next season. My fear is that he joins the one guy who actually appreciated him - Mike Vrabel in Tennessee.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ET80 said:
18 minutes ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Sounds like the Texans understand the time value of money.  Even though they know they'll lose and have to pay out eventually, they know to hold onto that money as long as possible.  Can't really blame them.  Up to the NFLPA to do something about it in the next negotiation if they want to avoid this issue going forward.

I guess that's one way to look at it, but you've also got to consider - the Texans have $30mm+ in cap space, and really have no immediate plans for that money.

Is there any benefit to isolate one of your top 5 players and your #2 defender for what amounts to $1.7mm? What sort of message does this send? Are you creating any sort of good will to keep Clowney beyond this season?

I'm all but certain Clowney is playing somewhere else next season. My fear is that he joins the one guy who actually appreciated him - Mike Vrabel in Tennessee.

And its not like lawyers are free. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ET80 said:

Don't worry.  We won't have the coin for it.

1 hour ago, HTTRG3Dynasty said:

Seems to me the Texans know how to piss off one of their better players in an effort to save a little money by trying to cheat. This is just bad business. If you couldn't afford the tag number, you could have scored big with a trade. 

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

Franchise tag should be average of top 10 players contracts. It’d cut down on these bs tags. Happens every year because the NFLPA is a toothless puppy. 

So it should cost you over 28 million to franchise a kicker or punter? smh 

It should be easy, the position you played the majority of your snaps is where you get franchised. 

It’s called a Franchise player not a franchise position. I don’t care about emptying the owners pockets. Get them under contract. When players are under contract they can be fined for holding out. The Franchise tag takes away there chance to actually openly negotiate. It’s a travesty and needs to be eliminated optimally. Texans trying to be cheap with a little over a million is just another example of the abuse of the tag. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, ET80 said:

Texans play a 34, and Clowney lines up as that "Over" OLB spot. If you took a birds eye view, he'd look like a stand up 43 DE.

This is another wonderful development following a great off-season. If this was the end game, it would have been better served to trade him at the draft.

If only you had any GM, let alone a competent one, to address this issue, but alas...

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Boltstrikes said:

Franchise tag should be average of top 10 players contracts. It’d cut down on these bs tags. Happens every year because the NFLPA is a toothless puppy. 

It also should have something that actually incentivizes (if not outright forces) negotiation or getting off the pot.  It'd probably be pretty sloppy slogging the first couple offseasons but I'd support there being an exclusive rights franchise tender only the first year a player is eligible for unrestricted free agency.  Double-tagging to be prevented by limiting the scope and ispotential return if a player is tagged a second year running (i.e. subsequent franchise tenders can only be non-exclusive rights, which means that the player is free to talk turkey with other clubs and the tendering team retains right of first refusal/ability to match if the player signs an offer sheet, but the return if signing away a designated franchise player is a 1st round pick in the upcoming draft, not 2).  Ironically, I think the AI in Madden has been using a similar such model for the franchise tag for 10-ish years.

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, fretgod99 said:

Don’t drag me into this circus. Keep my name out your mouth, son. Your mouth is writing checks your body can’t cash. Nobody puts baby in the corner.

I... HAVE SUMMONED... FRETGOD!!!!!!

I AM NOW A LEVEL SIX SUMMONER!!!