Packers Training Camp 2019

packfanfb

I’m starting to think our best 5 skill positions group might be Adams/MVS/Graham/Vitale/Jones

We can run. Graham is a serviceable blocker. Vitale is a serviceable blocker. Jones is a very good running back. 

We can pass. Adams and MVS can catch the ball. Graham can catch. I’ve never seen a FB run routes and catch the way Vitale does. It’s a legit weapon. Jones just needs to get his pass protection down. If Jones can do that, I like our chances to be dynamic in the passing game from this group too. 

Obviously we’ll see a whole bunch of packages, but I’m starting to like this group most. They can attack in so many different ways, especially with MLFs run/pass unpredictability, this group would have big play potential by catching teams off guard with dynamic passing concepts. 

11 hours ago, boratt said:

I was watching our offense against their defense and the kick return where Davis was injured. Houston definitely playing rough and hitting more than I’ve ever seen at a practice. But this is my first joint practice so I dunno. 

What happened in the Davis return?

8 hours ago, boratt said:

I’m starting to think our best 5 skill positions group might be Adams/MVS/Graham/Vitale/Jones

We can run. Graham is a serviceable blocker. Vitale is a serviceable blocker. Jones is a very good running back. 

We can pass. Adams and MVS can catch the ball. Graham can catch. I’ve never seen a FB run routes and catch the way Vitale does. It’s a legit weapon. Jones just needs to get his pass protection down. If Jones can do that, I like our chances to be dynamic in the passing game from this group too. 

Obviously we’ll see a whole bunch of packages, but I’m starting to like this group most. They can attack in so many different ways, especially with MLFs run/pass unpredictability, this group would have big play potential by catching teams off guard with dynamic passing concepts. 

Do you ever stop? Vitale is a scrub. Regularly keeping EQ off the field for him would be criminal

1 hour ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do you ever stop? Vitale is a scrub. Regularly keeping EQ off the field for him would be criminal

Harsh man, Family Night was my first look at him. You're talking about one of the better athletes on the offense, guy is straight up explosive with a hybrid TE/FB skillset. Scrub is a lazy report on him, he's a good find for us. 

Also in 11 personnel it's Allison that would be criminal to keep off the field. EQ is first backup to the top 3, but the drop-off is obvious between the top 3 and the rest.

There will be packages for Vitale, as there should be.

39 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Harsh man, Family Night was my first look at him. You're talking about one of the better athletes on the offense, guy is straight up explosive with a hybrid TE/FB skillset. Scrub is a lazy report on him, he's a good find for us. 

Also in 11 personnel it's Allison that would be criminal to keep off the field. EQ is first backup to the top 3, but the drop-off is obvious between the top 3 and the rest.

There will be packages for Vitale, as there should be.

I'm about 99% sure there wasn't a single team in the NFL that had a 12 personal that was more effective than it's 11 on a yards per play basis. 

Both Allison and EQ are better football players than Vitale. Vitale was awful as a blocker last year. Kendricks was better.

7 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

I'm about 99% sure there wasn't a single team in the NFL that had a 12 personal that was more effective than it's 11 on a yards per play basis. 

Both Allison and EQ are better football players than Vitale. Vitale was awful as a blocker last year. Kendricks was better.

Should get used to seeing him based on camp reports.

22 hours ago, Nick_gb said:

Well, its a good thing he said it over the internet and not in person. King would likely pull his hammy trying to engage that fight. If anything he did him a favor.

Well, no... He would never say anything like that in person, just like you.

23 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Adams isn't close to an edge rusher from a skillset, body shape, or athletic perspective.

Boy, you are really all in on constantly bellyaching about Adams("trash"), no matter how innocuous the comment... Kinda odd for a Packer fan. 

2 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Do you know what’s better than a 4 minute opening drive with 12 ypa that ends in 7 points? An opening drive that lasts 12 minutes and has 6 ypa and then ends in 7 points is better. 

If you view football purely in terms of efficiency, you lose very real factors such as time. And then you’re losing all of the aspects of time that factor in such as human beings, particularly along the defensive line, wear out over time. Also, by taking away almost a quarter of football from the other team, it lessens their ability to score points. 

When playing against a team that scores quick points, YPA would lose importance while percentage of time elapsed, 3rd down efficiency and redzone efficiency would gain importance.

When playing a team that struggles to put up points, YPA and running up the score would be paramount.

Turnovers will always be extremely important.

Maybe stop trying to use one stat to explain and describe a complex game that factors in time, human fatigue, other teams strengths and so many more factors that I’m not thinking of now and others yet that I’ve never thought of at all. 

The Patriots are the best of the last 20 years. They can eat clock and wear you out and they can run up the scoreboard and they always seem to do the right thing against the right team at the right time. 

Versatilty. Running backs who can catch. Tight ends who can block and catch. They chew at you in whatever way you are weak because they can attack many different ways. And then coaches who come up with the right game plan. It’s been a winning formula. 

And the year the Patriots had the best YPA offense I think we’ve ever seen they didn’t win the Super Bowl because they ran into an unusually stacked pass rushing team. Hence the importance of versatility. It only takes one unusual team to buzz saw through your YPA offense and chances are, in the playoff gauntlet, you’re going to hit them. 

Hence, defense with versatility on offense, solid special teams and good turnover differential will beat YPA in championship success every time IMHO. 

And with all of that said, versatility on offense is why Vitale is an exciting player. He can pass protect too, so that’s an additional skill that opens up some of the longer passing game. The more ways you can attack, the better. 

Archived