The Milwaukee Brewers Thread - CY Burnes, 2021 NL Central Champs

ramssuperbowl99

8 hours ago, titans0021 said:

First thought, If Corey Ray is still viewed as a top 70 prospect and we're legit looking to buy at the deadline, sell him immediately. Right @bkobow05?

Or keep him and see if he can figure out the swing and miss. I'm wondering if the industry is looking at him as a swing-and-missier Brett Gardner type who is a potential +10 defender in LF and that with his tools is why he's still thought of highly.

Callis and Mayo don't make great lists, but I wouldn't rush to sell him. Mostly because I don't want to sell anybody.

7 hours ago, bkobow05 said:

Complete MLB Pipeline Top 30 for us...

1. Lewis Brinson | OF
  2. Corey Ray | OF
  3. Luis Ortiz | RHP
  4. Brandon Woodruff | RHP
  5. Keston Hiura | 2B
  6. Isan Diaz | 2B/SS
  7. Corbin Burnes | RHP
  8. Tristen Lutz | OF
  9. Mauricio Dubon | 2B/SS
  10. Lucas Erceg | 3B
  11. Freddy Peralta | RHP
  12. Brett Phillips | OF
  13. Trent Clark | OF
  14. Monte Harrison | OF
  15. Marcos Diplan | RHP
  16. Trey Supak | RHP
  17. Ryan Cordell | OF
  18. KJ Harrison | C
  19. Jake Gatewood | 1B
  20. Jacob Nottingham | C/1B
  21. Caden Lemons | RHP
  22. Cody Ponce | RHP
  23. Josh Pennington | RHP
  24. Kodi Meideros | LHP
  25. Phil Bickford | RHP
  26. Mario Feliciano | C
  27. Larry Ernesto | OF
  28. Brendan Murphy | LHP
  29. Carlos Rodriguez | OF
  30. Je'Von Ward | OF

This list is just bad. A ton of recency bias with the draft picks (Keston nonwithstanding) ranking as high as they are. I like our international class, but there's no way you can justifiably rank Ernesto and Rodriguez as top 30 prospects going off of nothing but showcases when they were 15 years old. 

Also, some of the blurbs have blatantly wrong information. Trey Supak doesn't sit in the low 90's any more, he's high 80's bumping 91. Burnes' gets praised for the FB and knocked for his secondaries (with a backhanded compliment on the SL), and that's not true either his out pitch is the SL. No one should ever describe Trent Clark's swing as "explosive".

4 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

This list is just bad. A ton of recency bias with the draft picks (Keston nonwithstanding) ranking as high as they are. I like our international class, but there's no way you can justifiably rank Ernesto and Rodriguez as top 30 prospects going off of nothing but showcases when they were 15 years old. 

Also, some of the blurbs have blatantly wrong information. Trey Supak doesn't sit in the low 90's any more, he's high 80's bumping 91. Burnes' gets praised for the FB and knocked for his secondaries (with a backhanded compliment on the SL), and that's not true either his out pitch is the SL. No one should ever describe Trent Clark's swing as "explosive".

No, I get it. That's why I posted the players left off afterwards. We have one of the deepest farms in baseball so when you make nine changes to it, it's going to be under scrutiny. Not like Mayo or Callis are really good at these things anyways. Most of the team lists are butchered.

We're "showing interest" in Joe Smith. Personally, I want him here for no other reason than to heckle the hell out of him. As you know, I went to college with Joe so I'm kinda partial here. Would love to have him just for the sake of knowing someone personally on the Brewers.

25 minutes ago, bkobow05 said:

No, I get it. That's why I posted the players left off afterwards. We have one of the deepest farms in baseball so when you make nine changes to it, it's going to be under scrutiny. Not like Mayo or Callis are really good at these things anyways. Most of the team lists are butchered.

I can't tell if Callis has fallen off or if the rest of the industry has moved past him. But the limited video and in person looks are really hurting his rankings.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

I can't tell if Callis has fallen off or if the rest of the industry has moved past him. But the limited video and in person looks are really hurting his rankings.

I would probably say it's more of the industry moving past him simply because of the fact that he doesn't get the exposure to these kids like he used to. He got the bigger job with more TV obligations and he's just not out there like he used to be.