Tight Ends and When to Draft Them?

JaguarCrazy2832

The largest gap between the Top 10% of any fantasy position is at TE. There are 3 elite level guys, a few solid options and 10+ that are basically the same

When are you drafting the likes of Kelce, Ertz and Kittle?

ADP has them at 13, 26 & 27 respectively. 

I drafted Kelce last year and loved having a TE that I could count on every week. I feel like TEs are usually undervalued in our league

Who do you think has the best chance to crack the Top-3 not listed above?

Evan Engram, OJ Howard and Hunter Henry are probably safely in that next tier but can be had 3-4 rounds later and aren't without question: 

I somehow landed Kelce last year when I typically don't land a top TE.  I draft the OJ Howards of the world and hope for a breakout but yeah I agree I love having a TE that can drop 20+ on a given week.  His consistency is a nice addition.  Helps when I had a 13th round keeper in Kamara last year though so I was able to go against my strategy and go TE earlier then normal.

I think Kelce was like 5th round last year for me.  I'm considering him as my keeper this year (you lose the round you drafted him in the previous year) so 5th round value for a early 2nd round player seems good.

And yeah as you said having a TE like that week in week out it is nice.  In redrafts though I'm likely not touching a TE in the top 4-5 rounds because my top 4-5 pciks are always RB/WR and typically 3 RB's.  

This season as a whole seems really balanced.  I like a lot of mid round RB's and TE's and WR/QB is always deep so as a whole this is going to be one of the best FF seasons because of the overall player depth at positions not normally deep RB/TE.

49 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

I somehow landed Kelce last year when I typically don't land a top TE.  I draft the OJ Howards of the world and hope for a breakout but yeah I agree I love having a TE that can drop 20+ on a given week.  His consistency is a nice addition.  Helps when I had a 13th round keeper in Kamara last year though so I was able to go against my strategy and go TE earlier then normal.

I think Kelce was like 5th round last year for me.  I'm considering him as my keeper this year (you lose the round you drafted him in the previous year) so 5th round value for a early 2nd round player seems good.

And yeah as you said having a TE like that week in week out it is nice.  In redrafts though I'm likely not touching a TE in the top 4-5 rounds because my top 4-5 pciks are always RB/WR and typically 3 RB's.  

I tend to draft TE late and pray they work out...they rarely do

I want one of the top-3 but dont want to be forced to reach 

47 minutes ago, Rockice_8 said:

This season as a whole seems really balanced.  I like a lot of mid round RB's and TE's and WR/QB is always deep so as a whole this is going to be one of the best FF seasons because of the overall player depth at positions not normally deep RB/TE.

Who do you like at RB/TE in the mid rounds and why? I just see nothing to be excited about at TE after the first 6 or so and even 4-6 I’m projecting moreso than can believe they will be that good. Everyone else just seems injury prone or average

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

I tend to draft TE late and pray they work out...they rarely do

I want one of the top-3 but dont want to be forced to reach 

I assume you will sacrifice at WR in order to do so?  Much better chance to hit on a late WR then anywhere else. 

Just now, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Who do you like at RB/TE in the mid rounds and why? I just see nothing to be excited about at TE after the first 6 or so and even 4-6 I’m projecting moreso than can believe they will be that good. Everyone else just seems injury prone or average

TE you got the big 3 then you have Engram, Henry, Howard, Ebron who all should be solid.

That's 7 then you have guys like Cook/McDonald who should be enough to count on week in week out to give you something.

I think that is 9 solid TE's and then your hit/miss guys (Walker, Njoku, Reed, Doyle, Rudolph, Olsen, Hooper).

One guy who I have high hope for and I am probably biased but Herndon after his 4 games is going to be a steal at TE this year.  You just have to wait until week 6 until he gets back into the flow.

If you miss on one of the top guys I'd piece my way through with boom/bust types and scoop up Herndon.  If he wasn't suspended I'd have 10 solid TE's worthy of starting.  Most likely you can land one.

RB without going into too much detail is probably about 25-27 deep with guys who can be RB1 types on given weeks.  No reason you can't come away with 2 really good RB's this year which in some years if you didn't take one in round 1 you were screwed.  Clearly you still need to look at them early but you can find an RB2 in rounds 4 if you took a Kelce early unlike other years.

With Keepers, the top 15 on the board is gonna look something like:

D. Adams
T. Kelce
O. Beckham Jr
J. Conner
J. Smith-Schuster
M. Evans
N. Chubb
G. Kittle
K. Allen
Z. Ertz
T. Hill
D. Williams
A. Cooper
A. Thielen
L. Fournette

SO, my question is, if I'm at 9 Overall, and Kelce is there, should I go ahead and nab him? I don't really see the guys I'm drafting with taking a TE in the 1st.
Keepers are DHop and Kamara.

4 hours ago, Fl0nkerton said:

With Keepers, the top 15 on the board is gonna look something like:

D. Adams
T. Kelce
O. Beckham Jr
J. Conner

J. Smith-Schuster
M. Evans
N. Chubb
G. Kittle
K. Allen
Z. Ertz
T. Hill
D. Williams
A. Cooper
A. Thielen
L. Fournette

SO, my question is, if I'm at 9 Overall, and Kelce is there, should I go ahead and nab him? I don't really see the guys I'm drafting with taking a TE in the 1st.
Keepers are DHop and Kamara.

100% the bolded are the only ones I'm taking over Kelce. If he somehow makes it to 9, that'd be great

• Like 1

After a couple years of getting Kelce through the draft in my primary keeper league, I ended up with Ertz, and he's going to be a keeper this year.  To be able to start a stud at that position, especially going up against another team that's scouring the waiver wire for tight end help, is a huge advantage.  I always go BPA (within 4-5 picks usually) but I will go a little more to secure one of the top tight ends.  

I once went for Gronk way too early and I got burned. In my main league I waited until round 11, took Njoku, and won it all. Done taking tight ends early. To me a solid 3rd RB or WR is as important as a lock TE1. There’s always one you can grab in free agency 

6 hours ago, bigdog44 said:

I once went for Gronk way too early and I got burned. In my main league I waited until round 11, took Njoku, and won it all. Done taking tight ends early. To me a solid 3rd RB or WR is as important as a lock TE1. There’s always one you can grab in free agency 

I feel like the issue with Gronk was his health. Also, Njoku couldn't have been the reason you won because he hasn't exactly put up good numbers

Now that I have traded up in round 1(complete pick swap), I think I'm unlikely to get Kelce in round 2 and Ertz and Kittle are likely gone before my 3rd round pick

Who do you guys really like that would crack the Top-5 unexpectedly? I feel like the ADP for the 2nd tier TEs isn't that great so I'm probably waiting on 1 for the long haul. I dont love that strategy since having a top-tier TE was huge for me last year

Howard has a couple other mouths to contend with and Arians doesn't have the best track record with TEs

Engram probably gets loads of targets since he is the only one but still probably going too high

Hunter Henry, much like Howard he probably plays 3rd fiddle to Allen and Williams but his ADP is lower than Howard with similar potential

Jared Cook is on a run-first team but is a better TE than they've had in a while