Tight Ends and When to Draft Them?

JaguarCrazy2832

2 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Now that I have traded up in round 1(complete pick swap), I think I'm unlikely to get Kelce in round 2 and Ertz and Kittle are likely gone before my 3rd round pick

Who do you guys really like that would crack the Top-5 unexpectedly? I feel like the ADP for the 2nd tier TEs isn't that great so I'm probably waiting on 1 for the long haul. I dont love that strategy since having a top-tier TE was huge for me last year

Howard has a couple other mouths to contend with and Arians doesn't have the best track record with TEs

Engram probably gets loads of targets since he is the only one but still probably going too high

Hunter Henry, much like Howard he probably plays 3rd fiddle to Allen and Williams but his ADP is lower than Howard with similar potential

Jared Cook is on a run-first team but is a better TE than they've had in a while

I was hellbent on picking one of these three but I think in reality I may pass on them.

I THINK if i had to, I'd wait and get someone like Vance Mcdonald.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I was hellbent on picking one of these three but I think in reality I may pass on them.

I THINK if i had to, I'd wait and get someone like Vance Mcdonald.

Yea i was and still kind of am hellbent on getting one but at a better value for a Kelce or better chance of getting Ertz or Kittle

Moving from 11-12-36 to 8-17-32 allows me a much better shot at Ertz/Kittle given their ADP is mid 20s and might fall bc like I’ve said these guys go nuts for RBs and also gives me a shot at great value for Kelce although i feel like he will be gone before 17 but stranger things have happened and TEs are usually underrated 

Ive noticed in my mocks if i dont get 1 of them i pretty much forget about the position bc there arent any options by ADP for a while and even those options arent much better than later guys. I just dont want to punt the position bc i never get lucky enough with a late round guy and Kittle aside there usually arent TEs that go undrafted that also are TE1 

• Like 1

Man, Delanie Walker gets absolutely no respect. Thats the guy Im targeting this year. He will be forgotten by many because of the injury to start the year, and maybe his first few weeks are slow, but he isnt on the PUP list which is huge for him. The previous 4 seasons he had atleast 100 target and atleast 800 yards. That is some great and reliable production coming from a guy who is often being picked after the First Defense goes.

He has been doing that with gross QB play, and while this year might not be any better, its not going to be worse. He is your sleeper that could easily be a Top 3/4 TE this year

The other option is Vance McDonald, he is clearly the TE in Pittsburgh now, and all of those targets that AB had have to go somewhere. With Ben slowing down each year, I wouldnt be surprised to see him going underneeth more and more.

5 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Now that I have traded up in round 1(complete pick swap), I think I'm unlikely to get Kelce in round 2 and Ertz and Kittle are likely gone before my 3rd round pick

Who do you guys really like that would crack the Top-5 unexpectedly? I feel like the ADP for the 2nd tier TEs isn't that great so I'm probably waiting on 1 for the long haul. I dont love that strategy since having a top-tier TE was huge for me last year

Howard has a couple other mouths to contend with and Arians doesn't have the best track record with TEs

Engram probably gets loads of targets since he is the only one but still probably going too high

Hunter Henry, much like Howard he probably plays 3rd fiddle to Allen and Williams but his ADP is lower than Howard with similar potential

Jared Cook is on a run-first team but is a better TE than they've had in a while

I'm banking on Hunter Henry. Rivers loves his tight ends and if Gordon misses any time, they will rely on him more in the red zone. I expect Keenan Allen will get most of the middle of the field targets, while Mike Williams and Henry get all the red zone looks. 

Arian's track record with tight ends combined with his injury history is scaring me away from Howard.

Engram is who I would go with after Henry. He'll get a ton of targets, probably more than Henry, but I don't think he'll have nearly as many opportunities for touchdowns. 

I pick 12th in a 12 team league and am hoping for Henry at the 5/6 turn. If he's not there I will probably wait for Jared Cook/Vance Mcdonald/Njoku a round or two later. 

On 7/25/2019 at 2:12 PM, Fl0nkerton said:

With Keepers, the top 15 on the board is gonna look something like:

D. Adams
T. Kelce
O. Beckham Jr
J. Conner
J. Smith-Schuster
M. Evans
N. Chubb
G. Kittle
K. Allen
Z. Ertz
T. Hill
D. Williams
A. Cooper
A. Thielen
L. Fournette

SO, my question is, if I'm at 9 Overall, and Kelce is there, should I go ahead and nab him? I don't really see the guys I'm drafting with taking a TE in the 1st.
Keepers are DHop and Kamara.

Take Kelce.
The TE proposition has always been about WAR.

You have a #1 RB and a #1 WR.
Given the remaining players, your decision is probably about Kittle or Ertz.
Kelce is a no-brainer.

I suspect that you will be choosing between Williams, Cooper, Chubb, Fournette, Kittle, Ertz and Thielen (minus one depending on rosters).
I would not hesitate to go TE (Kittle or Ertz) and get a serious #2 at RB or WR on the wrap around.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, babyatemydingo said:

Take Kelce.
The TE proposition has always been about WAR.

You have a #1 RB and a #1 WR.
Given the remaining players, your decision is probably about Kittle or Ertz.
Kelce is a no-brainer.

I suspect that you will be choosing between Williams, Cooper, Chubb, Fournette, Kittle, Ertz and Thielen (minus one depending on rosters).
I would not hesitate to go TE (Kittle or Ertz) and get a serious #2 at RB or WR on the wrap around.

Yeah I'm thinking about taking one of the top flight TE's at 9. Bad thing is I don't have a 2nd to work with, so I'm picking at 9 and then 29.

On 7/31/2019 at 11:27 AM, StLunatic88 said:

Man, Delanie Walker gets absolutely no respect. Thats the guy Im targeting this year. He will be forgotten by many because of the injury to start the year, and maybe his first few weeks are slow, but he isnt on the PUP list which is huge for him. The previous 4 seasons he had atleast 100 target and atleast 800 yards. That is some great and reliable production coming from a guy who is often being picked after the First Defense goes.

He has been doing that with gross QB play, and while this year might not be any better, its not going to be worse. He is your sleeper that could easily be a Top 3/4 TE this year

The other option is Vance McDonald, he is clearly the TE in Pittsburgh now, and all of those targets that AB had have to go somewhere. With Ben slowing down each year, I wouldnt be surprised to see him going underneeth more and more.

Walker is probably underrated a little bit but you can't ignore that he will be 35 on a team that has a lot more targets to throw to than when he was last relevant for a full season in 2017

On 7/31/2019 at 12:20 PM, StLunatic88 said:

I feel like Im always getting my hopes up for Hunter Henry, and every time I end up disappointed

Yea and even after all that his ADP is still round 5/6 which is a steep price for someone that is constantly burning people but the opportunity is better than ever. Tough call

I think my plan the year is to try to get value at TE with whoever and whenever it happens to show itself.  I'll "settle" for any of these unlikely scenarios (two QB draft skews ADP a little):

Kelce: 3rd (super unlikely)

Kittle/Ertz 4th (same as above)

Evans/Howard: 6th (more likely than the previous 3, though still unlikely)

Henry: 6th (more likely)

McDonald: 10th (most likely scenario)

if I miss out on all of the above, I'm totally prepared to take Jordan Reed as my starting TE in literally one of the last two rounds.  If and when he gets injured, there's a ton of waiver TEs I'd be fine with picking up this year.

5 hours ago, 101Raider said:

I think my plan the year is to try to get value at TE with whoever and whenever it happens to show itself.  I'll "settle" for any of these unlikely scenarios (two QB draft skews ADP a little):

Kelce: 3rd (super unlikely)

Kittle/Ertz 4th (same as above)

Evans/Howard: 6th (more likely than the previous 3, though still unlikely)

Henry: 6th (more likely)

McDonald: 10th (most likely scenario)

if I miss out on all of the above, I'm totally prepared to take Jordan Reed as my starting TE in literally one of the last two rounds.  If and when he gets injured, there's a ton of waiver TEs I'd be fine with picking up this year.

Geez unless you play in like an 8 man league, you might as well say you aren't getting them at all haha, I know you said unlikely but even that doesn't seems strong enough

I hate drafting Tight Ends, I never want to draft one before the 8th round. Would I like a Kelce or a Kittle on my team? Well absolutely, but I'm not going to spend a 2nd round pick on them. EVER. And there always seems to be decent guys in the mid-rounds, like an OJ Howard in the 6th round this year, but when I'm drafting I always seem to just go in another direction. In my leagues I'll probably try and snag a TE between rounds 8-10, so I'll most likely be choosing between...

Vance Mcdonald
David Njoku 
Delanie Walker
Mark Andrews 

Had Njoku last year, wouldn't mind him again this year. 

1 hour ago, holt_bruce81 said:

I hate drafting Tight Ends, I never want to draft one before the 8th round. Would I like a Kelce or a Kittle on my team? Well absolutely, but I'm not going to spend a 2nd round pick on them. EVER. And there always seems to be decent guys in the mid-rounds, like an OJ Howard in the 6th round this year, but when I'm drafting I always seem to just go in another direction. In my leagues I'll probably try and snag a TE between rounds 8-10, so I'll most likely be choosing between...

Vance Mcdonald
David Njoku 
Delanie Walker
Mark Andrews 

Had Njoku last year, wouldn't mind him again this year. 

I get the logic there i just feel like the late round guys never pan out and I’m stuck with someone that I’d be thrilled if he got me 5 points