Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

Behind the Steel Curtain has a good article on Dupree's KC game.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/8/21/20811739/has-steelers-olb-bud-dupree-finally-turned-the-corner-in-his-career-nfl-news-keith-butler-kentucky

Bottom line, he is not showing anything new or that he has learned from past coaching.  I am ready to move on from Dupree after this season.

Conclusion: Bud mostly showed the same skill set he has shown in the past. His athleticism and limited rush worked better against backups, and he made a few nice plays in run defense and showed his athleticism making several plays in coverage. Maybe his second season on the right side will show improvement after playing on the left almost exclusively in college and the first three years of his NFL career. I expect that any improvement we see from Bud will come more from his level of comfort and improvements across the defense lifting everyone, and do not expect to see that he has matured into a dangerous pass rusher. I hope this film session also helps people see the ways Butler is using Bud in a collapse and contain role and also turning his deficiencies into a weapon with his rush schemes.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I hope you're wrong but I fear you aren't. Judging by Grady Jarrett's deal, Hargrave is going to get PAAAAAID.

Yep.

Steelers will be short on cap space...they backloaded Nelson/Moncrief/Barron deals...I’m guessing at least 1 won’t be back next season.

Haden/Hargraves is an either/situation...it take a miracle to afford both...with the way  the Steelers seem to be doing contracts, it seems they’ve established a “window “ that coincides with Ben.

A “solid” CB at a position that been a sore spot for a decade might outweigh a borderline elite NT in the Steelers scheme.

Difficult to put a third 8 digit cap hit on a position that’s largely only playing 2 at a time today. 

I really like Hargrave, but I think the only way we keep him is if we get out from under Tuitt and they really like Buggs. Outside of that, it’s a tough number. 

(side note, didn’t look at Tuitts numbers. Have no clue how realistic that could be just saying I think that’s what it would take) 

Edited by Dcash4

3 hours ago, jebrick said:

Behind the Steel Curtain has a good article on Dupree's KC game.

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/8/21/20811739/has-steelers-olb-bud-dupree-finally-turned-the-corner-in-his-career-nfl-news-keith-butler-kentucky

Bottom line, he is not showing anything new or that he has learned from past coaching.  I am ready to move on from Dupree after this season.

He played well from the start. They didn't have their starting OL out there with Mahommes? 

Edited by Chieferific

5 hours ago, Chieferific said:

He played well from the start. They didn't have their starting OL out there with Mahommes? 

I agree with the point you are attempting to make but I don't feel that 1 singular preseason is enough to judge him for the good or the badd. Having said that if he continues this into the regular season I will begin to change my mind about him but it is going to take that change in the regular season for me to believe the he belongs here

I'm personally not really worried about losing Hargrave. Let someone else overpay him. Not saying he isn't good... but he isn't anything special either, even though he might get paid like he is. Keep Haden, let Dupree and Hargrave walk. Hayden isn't anything special either, but he is a most valuable of 3 at this point... Especially considering it's harder to find a decent cornerback then it is to find a decent NT.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, FourThreeMafia said:

I'm personally not really worried about losing Hargrave. Let someone else overpay him. Not saying he isn't good... but he isn't anything special either, even though he might get paid like he is. Keep Haden, let Dupree and Hargrave walk. Hayden isn't anything special either, but he is a most valuable of 3 at this point... Especially considering it's harder to find a decent cornerback then it is to find a decent NT.

The thing with Hargrave is that he is so versatile that it allows them to ignore the DE depth and NT position because he can do both well enough, albeit not great, but good.

It's more 'settling' in some ways. If we can get Hargrave back on a reasonable, team friendly deal fine but if not, let him play elsewhere.

Haden, he definitely deserves a new contract, he might not be anything special but I like him a lot as a Steeler and what he does bring.

Dupree, I'd prefer not to pay 

1 hour ago, wwhickok said:

The thing with Hargrave is that he is so versatile that it allows them to ignore the DE depth and NT position because he can do both well enough, albeit not great, but good.

It's more 'settling' in some ways. If we can get Hargrave back on a reasonable, team friendly deal fine but if not, let him play elsewhere.

Haden, he definitely deserves a new contract, he might not be anything special but I like him a lot as a Steeler and what he does bring.

Dupree, I'd prefer not to pay 

I won't be shocked if we end up tagging Hargrave next year. There are ways of clearing cap space, and if they feel Hargrave is instrumental to Our Success, I see him coming back next year. Long-term is another story, but we are in win-now mode until Ben retires, so our front office will do what it has to do to keep this team as competitive as possible until then.

3 hours ago, wwhickok said:

I agree with the point you are attempting to make but I don't feel that 1 singular preseason is enough to judge him for the good or the badd. Having said that if he continues this into the regular season I will begin to change my mind about him but it is going to take that change in the regular season for me to believe the he belongs here

Agree completely but let's give credit where credit is due. He played well even if most of it was against backups and only some of it was against the starters. But the arrow needs to keep going up. 

Edited by Chieferific
illiteracy

15 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Read the article and the film study.  He did nothing that he has not done the past several years.  The only time he made it past Fisher was on a stunt where Cam flashed across and took both the OG and Fisher and gave Bud a gap.  They had great film of Bud's "spin move" where he basically pirouettes in front of Fisher who then blocks him.

He still has not learned any counter moves when his initial rush has been stopped.

Here’s the thing with Bud where I find that article a little disingenuous:

He’s doing what I teach my students. If they have a crappy short game (pass rush moves); I teach them a fairly standard pitch shot and tell them to get good at it (a speed rush and bull rush). I can’t teach them how to then hit it high, low, checkup, roll out until they master the basics (add counters and secondary moves). This is the first time I see Dupree good enough at his basic moves that he will now be able to build off of it. I know it’s easy to say he’s in his 5th year and should be a lot better, but you got to remember this is a guy that basically out athlete guys in HS, didn’t have a positional coach in college; played 4-3 DE, then 4-3 OLB, the 3-4 OLB when in college. To me he was always a guy that was going to be more about what he was year 5 than along the way. I think Bud would have done extremely well if we were the Steelers of the 2000’s where he basically red shirted for 2 years. 

41 minutes ago, jebrick said:

Read the article and the film study.  He did nothing that he has not done the past several years.  The only time he made it past Fisher was on a stunt where Cam flashed across and took both the OG and Fisher and gave Bud a gap.  They had great film of Bud's "spin move" where he basically pirouettes in front of Fisher who then blocks him.

He still has not learned any counter moves when his initial rush has been stopped.

Ok but that's what he was asked to do and he did it. Look, I'm not a Dupree fan. Never was. But in that one Pre-Season game he looked better to me then ever before. He was quicker off the snap and he had a better bull rush. Maybe it was and will be just one game but for now I'm (perhaps blindly) optimistic.