Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

7 hours ago, Chieferific said:

Is Hawkins as good as gone? He seemed like a promising prospect but he's appears to be an afterthought with the emergence of Feiler and Chuks. Heck, the early depth chart even has him behind Banner. 

I am pretty sure he is gone. The injuries he has struggled with have pretty much taken away any opportunity he had to prove himself.

• Like 1

Interesting article on who will make it on ST

https://www.behindthesteelcurtain.com/2019/8/29/20832850/spotlight-on-special-teams-shaping-steelers-53-man-roster-2019-tyler-matakevich-jordan-dangerfield

Tyler Matakevich, Jordan Dangerfield and Roosevelt Nix were in on all 4 units, as they were last season, when they were three of the five players on the field two-thirds or more of all ST snaps.

The other two that played all four in 2018 were L.J. Fort, who is not on the team anymore, and Anthony Chickillo who was held out of game 3.
**This is a big sign that Matakevich and Dangerfield aren’t going anywhere. They are making this roster.

Players who played on three of the special teams units:

Artie Burns and Justin Layne played everything but kick returns, they were on the outside in all three, gunning and shadowing gunners. This is big for Layne because taking this spot as a rookie says good things for his future. It keeps him active on game days which means he will get at least some snaps on defense, which will aid his development.
**With Burns and Layne playing on 3 units, this tells us it is highly unlikely that any other fringe CBs are making the roster. It also tells us Johnny Holton and Tevin Jones won’t be making the 53 as WRs to play ST.

Ulysees Gilbert III played on everything but punt returns. He’s been very solid on ST, getting through traffic to seal off interior lanes in kick and punt coverage. He’s also thrown some great blocks in both punt returns and kick returns. It was somewhat surprising to see him not on punt returns in this game. I think he’s made the 53 man roster and will continue to play in this spot.

Trey Edmunds and Sutton Smith played on everything but the punt team, Edmunds filling what was and likely will be Benny Snell’s spot, as Benny did not play in this game. Sutton Smith, likewise was playing where Chickillo usually plays. Sutton Smith is not Anthony Chickillo, therefore I do not expect him to keep this spot nor do I expect him to make the 53. Chickillo will probably play on all 4 units again.

Just saw a stat that said Ben has been sacked 501 times in his career. If he is sacked 25 more times he will break the current record held by Favre. Obviously a lot of variables go into this (i.e. length of career, pass attempts, holding on to the ball too long...etc) and while the OL has been cleaned up as of late those first several years were rough.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Chieferific said:

Just saw a stat that said Ben has been sacked 501 times in his career. If he is sacked 25 more times he will break the current record held by Favre. Obviously a lot of variables go into this (i.e. length of career, pass attempts, holding on to the ball too long...etc) and while the OL has been cleaned up as of late those first several years were rough.

I remember way back in the day when he first got here and our OL was going through serious transition, they had compared his sack #s to David Carr because it was happening so often 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, wwhickok said:

Dangerfield is a JAG at best. He offers absolutely nothing defensively and frankly is as such, a waste of a roster spot. If he has to start at Safety, we are pretty much screwed at that position. 

Dangerfield I'd keep for another year, even after this one. He makes the team on special teams. There's roster spots for those guys. You only dress 45 and you need max value from those guys, and you get to stash rooks that aren't ready yet.  There should be no RD's. Random Dude. Like Zach Banner. Random Dude. You ain't ever playing. I'll shuffle the entire line and put Pouncey at tackle before you.

Dangerfield is wayyyy down the roster at safety. Basically, a last resort. Hilton would be back there before him. Hell, maybe even Artie Burns. Who, I actually kinda maybe prefer at safety. Or just cut him. But, not yet. He's firmly the 4th CB. 

Which is why you don't draft CB RD1, unless it's Rod Woodson. Because you don't know what you're drafting. 

On 8/28/2019 at 10:53 AM, wwhickok said:

Dangerfield is a JAG at best. He offers absolutely nothing defensively and frankly is as such, a waste of a roster spot. If he has to start at Safety, we are pretty much screwed at that position. 

Dangerfield I'd keep for another year, even after this one. He makes the team on special teams. There's roster spots for those guys. You only dress 45 and you need max value from those guys, and you get to stash rooks that aren't ready yet.  There should be no RD's. Random Dude. Like Zach Banner. Random Dude. You ain't ever playing. I'll shuffle the entire line and put Pouncey at tackle before you.

Dangerfield is wayyyy down the roster at safety. Basically, a last resort. Hilton would be back there before him. Hell, maybe even Artie Burns. Who, I actually kinda maybe prefer at safety. Or just cut him. But, not yet. He's firmly the 4th CB. 

Which is why you don't draft CB RD1, unless it's Rod Woodson. Because you don't know what you're drafting. 

15 minutes ago, Money said:

^ they better stash Skipper and Sutton Smith on the roster. With Gilbert being a shoe in. Matakevich, Chicky ticky tavi, and Vinny vidi vici are NOT in the 2-3 year plan. These guys replace them or they get replaced. 

I'm not insinuating you cut these guys either. You Find a Way ™ to stash them on the roster. 

1 hour ago, Money said:

^ they better stash Skipper and Sutton Smith on the roster. With Gilbert being a shoe in. Matakevich, Chicky ticky tavi, and Vinny vidi vici are NOT in the 2-3 year plan. These guys replace them or they get replaced. 

Sutton Smith WILL NOT make the roster or the practice squad, nor does he deserve to.

• Like 1

My 53 Man Roster Prediction: (and PS prediction as well as a claim prediction) (Not listed in any particular depth order really)

QB: BR / MR / JD

HB: JC / JS / BS / TE

FB: RN

TE: VM / XG / ZG

WR: JSS / DM / JW / DJ / RS / ER

LT: AV / CO

LG: RF / BF

C: MP

RG: DD 

RT: MF / ZB

DE: CH / ST / TA / IB

DT: JH / DM