Training Camp 2019 news and discussion.

Livewire

1 minute ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if we could sneak by with only carrying Ben and Mason? That would give us a spot for Skipper.

Put Hodges on the PS?  A bit risky, but doable. I think Skipper is showing more than Sutton Smith at this point, so there is a good chance he could make the final 53 with Ola on IR.

I'm reallt wondering if they release Dobbs outright to find another team. He has very little draft value.

47 minutes ago, bigben07MVP said:

Overall really solid game from the starters. Defense looked great albeit against a really sorry offense and quarterback. Everyone knows our D-like is rock solid and they played like it tonight. If Dupree/Watt can bring the heat consistently, Bush/Edmunds flying to the ball and forcing turnovers, with Haden/Nelson locking up the outside. If the rest of the starters (V Will, Barron, Davis, Hilton) play at least average and we stay healthy we can have a top 5 defense.

all the "ifs" on the D have been what the team needs to fix for the last several years. They need TO's this season, and maybe if the ifs turn out good this year the D might be legit. 

8 minutes ago, MOSteelers56 said:

I wonder if we could sneak by with only carrying Ben and Mason? That would give us a spot for Skipper.

skipper makes the team, now it's a matter of how they fill the rest of the roster. Skipper isn't #1 but he isn't #54 trying to be #53 either since he has been the camp phenom AND preseason standout.  Now the signing of Chickillo might not be ideal, but at the time it was required.  Ola to IR return is what I can see, both skipper and ola should be on the team though, but how?

20 minutes ago, 3rivers said:

skipper makes the team, now it's a matter of how they fill the rest of the roster. Skipper isn't #1 but he isn't #54 trying to be #53 either since he has been the camp phenom AND preseason standout.  Now the signing of Chickillo might not be ideal, but at the time it was required.  Ola to IR return is what I can see, both skipper and ola should be on the team though, but how?

Well if they put Ola on IR, they dont have to make a 'roster decision' until he is eligible to return. And at that time, idk who they would waive, probably Allen if he makes the roster? Idk

6 hours ago, FourThreeMafia said:

Steelers always seem to cut a linebacker they shouldve kept.

Doubt it will be any different this year.

Thing is, it's obvious when they should keep them too. Tuzar Skipper and spillaine and others have been putting it all out there. We have been struggling for talent at LB and these guys are out there just balling it out begging for a roster spot. I know we cant keep everyone but maybe carry 1 less OL, 1 less WR, get rid of Artis (not gonna happen) all risks I know but it allows you to keep guys like Skipper and Spillaine (dont even know if I am spelling his name right lol)

I'd also rather keep Spencer than Roger's tbh ( I say Rogers cuz I am convinced they're keeping Switzer)

Devlin Hodges over Dobbs is obvious too and the Colts might be a team that now, would trade for Dobbs.

FWIW on the QB thing:

Mason and Ben sit.

Dobbs gets 1st half with Washington, Rogers, Switzer.  Devlin gets second half with Holton and the Diontes.  Mano a Mano for the 3rd QB job.

Damn....I really wish that Dobbs was willing to do some RB/WR stuff and Fichtner were creative like Peyton.  Using Dobbs in a Tysum Hill type role would be an added wrinkle to our offense that would make us unpredictable.  If we let him go, I'm willing to bet someone picks him up and does that with him.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Dcash4 said:

Just curious, What makes you say that? 

Seeing lots of body catches, focus issues, hearing feet. 

Like looking at the bass “behind” him last night. I get it was behind and raining, but that’s not a hard catch. I heard from someone at TC almost every day (blogger) that those misses were common. 

Add in that he doesn’t offer you anything in ST or much in flexibility in where he lines up. 

An interesting one I saw the other day (I’ll try to dig up the tweet), but Eli’s air yards per pass were average to below average for slot WRs and his production vs expected production was below average for slot WRs. Out of the slot alone, Moncreif and Switz rated as average and JuJu was elite.