Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

Also, Nick Sundberg can rest easier now:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/8/2/20752291/who-is-d-j-white-the-cornerback-signed-by-the-redskins-on-friday

In a roster move that seemed inevitable, the Redskins released long snapper Andrew East on Friday, filling his roster spot with a young defensive back, D.J. White, who last played a regular season game for the Indianapolis Colts in 2017.

Another guy competing with DRC and the bubble guys for a roster spot/practice squad spot?

1 hour ago, Woz said:

Also, Nick Sundberg can rest easier now:

https://www.hogshaven.com/2019/8/2/20752291/who-is-d-j-white-the-cornerback-signed-by-the-redskins-on-friday

Another guy competing with DRC and the bubble guys for a roster spot/practice squad spot?

Doubt it, more camp fodder. As for DRC, I think he makes the team unless Moreau looks great in the slot, JFM continues to shine in the preseason, Stroman builds on a solid rookie season and Alexander or Danny Johnson show in camp/preseason that they deserve to make it over DRC which, is unlikely IMO.

I think it's mostly likely that our corners are:

1. Norman

2. Dunny

3. Fabs

4. DRC

5. JFM

6. Stroman

I think Adonis Alexander and Danny Johnson will be cut and they'll try to add one of them or both of them on the practice squad.

6 hours ago, RSkinGM said:

Game , set , Match ==Redskins - Hope you right Thai. IF,, he's tradeable for the right compensation . This might be a win/ win for us . Get out from under the contract . Yes, the young healthy T W was irreplaceable --but the older , oft injured-- maybe not so much . The team looks good - didn't have to cut him . All good things must end .

I mean, we lost with him. We can lose without him.

• Like 1

On 7/23/2019 at 1:41 PM, Woz said:

And Lewan is hurt... probably a main reason why the Redskins don’t want to extend/give Trent more and guaranteed $ bc of his age and injury history.

Edited by turtle28

Man, I had some high hopes for Adonis Alexander - mostly based off his size & what @lavar703 and @MikeT14 have said about him - but things are not looking good for him in making the 53 man roster and maybe not even the practice squad, also, I’ve heard nothing about Danny Johnson who had a good camp and preseason last year which led to him making the team.

I mean it is just training camp buzz, but I am very enthused by the work our young guys have put in and the potential they are showing even though some of them have still been up and down:

1. CB Jimmy Moreland

Dubbed “The People’s Corner”, Moreland has made a number of interceptions during practice in training camp. He was always known as a ballhawk during his college days, but his skills have translated over very quickly to the NFL level.

The thing is that Moreland isn’t just showing off as a ballhawk. He has also broken up several passes and performed well in one-on-ones. He could be a real playmaker at the next level and should have a chance to challenge for a nickel spot in the near future. He appears to be behind Fabian Moreau in the race to be a starter, but if Moreland continues to be this strong in practice, he could emerge as the top backup ahead of Greg

2. WR Cam Sims

Gruden has praised Sims and per Rick Snider of the Washington Post Expresssaid that Sims has “the skillset coaches live for.” Safe to say, that is some high praise. And when looking at the 6-foot-5 receiver’s frame and athletic ability, it’s easy to see why the team likes him.

3. LB Cole Holcomb

When the Redskins decided to part ways with Mason Foster ahead of training camp, it showed faith in their younger players at the linebacker position. And evidently, their investment is starting to pay off.

Jay Gruden has praised Holcomb on a number of different occasions and as outlined by our own Russell Shavatt, Holcomb will have a chance to continue to prove himself in the preseason if he can do a few different things.

Tier 2

QB Dwayne HaskinsHaskins has certainly made some strides during camp, and his fourth day of practice was easily his best. But the inability to separate from Case Keenum or Colt McCoy yet makes Haskins a tough omission. He has looked good, but he’s still inconsistent.

WR Trey QuinnJay Gruden made some noise when he said that Quinn had the starting slot job “locked up”. 

TE Jordan Reed. It’s been a very long time since Reed came into camp fully healthy, but that apparently happened this year. He has been a weapon during practices and he could end up being the team’s top receiving target if he stays healthy. His biggest buzz came earlier in the week and has cooled down a bit in recent days.

LB Jon Bostic. Bostic has been solid by all accounts since taking over from Mason Foster. Gruden seems impressed enough with him to make him the starter and give him a chance to call the defense. It looks like Bostic and Shaun Dion Hamilton will start on defense, as I predicted in my analysis of the Redskins’ linebacker depth chart before the team released Foster.

EDGE Montez SweatSweat’s massive frame has stood out and he has made some plays in practice as well. However, he hasn’t quite generated as much buzz as the other top players on the list. He may be able to change that with a productive preseason, but he also may not be getting as much buzz because he may have already locked down a starting job.

Edited by turtle28

PRich! I’ve seen him make some great recs, adjusting/contorting his body, making sharp cuts while showing off good hands for 2 yrs. He’s not = to DJax but he’s the closest thing I’ve seen to DJax. I can see why Jay wanted to sign him & why the Seahawks drafted him in high 5 years ago. 

Edited by turtle28

4 hours ago, turtle28 said:

PRich! I’ve seen him make some great recs, adjusting/contorting his body, making sharp cuts while showing off good hands for 2 yrs. He’s not = to DJax but he’s the closest thing I’ve seen to DJax. I can see why Jay wanted to sign him & why the Seahawks drafted him in rnd 1.

He wasn't a first round pick.