Training Camp/Preseason 2019: 1-3: Time to get to 53

MikeT14

2 hours ago, ripsean21 said:

That was my guy a few years ago I said to watch out for as he packs on and adds a physical element to his game. He looked good and he has impressed!!!

Agreed, he's looked good this preseason too and I've heard he's had a good camp. He's still 6’4, and now weighs 245, that's a good size/weight combo for us at ILB.  It's hard to throw over a 6’4 ILB in the middle of the field.

2 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t understand why they won’t give Casanova a chance to run with the ones? He’s clearly earned it. 

With the ones? I don't know about that. I love what I see out of Mckinzy but just like I say with the young WRs you have to put in perspective that he's doing this work vs back up OTs. I don't think he’d have the same amount of pressures if he was going against starting OTs.

He's certainly a better pass rusher than Ryan Anderson, is he a better run defender? 

I don't think he is. I know most fans don't give to craps if an OLB is a great run defender but not a good pass rusher, but I think it's valuable. It's especially valuable in our division when our defense has to stop Barkley, Zeke, and Jordan Howard. I don't think people should lose how important it will be to stuff those RBs if we want any shot at winning those three games in the first month of the season.

Ryan Anderson could have a very important role rotating in on 1st downs and short-yardage with Sweat and Kerrigan to be our run-stuffing OLB and to help keep the wear and tear off our pass rushers as the season goes on bc he's playing some snaps on run downs.

I hope if they're going to bring a guy in on passing downs to rest Kerrigan or Sweat as a pass rusher that they bring in Mckinzy though. I want Mckinzy in there on pass rush downs if Kerrigan or Sweat are being rotated out, and NOT Anderson.

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

With the ones? I don't know about that. I love what I see out of Mckinzy but just like I say with the young WRs you have to put in perspective that he's doing this work vs back up OTs. I don't think he’d have the same amount of pressures if he was going against starting OTs.

He's certainly a better pass rusher than Ryan Anderson, is he a better run defender? 

I don't think he is. I know most fans don't give to craps if an OLB is a great run defender but not a good pass rusher, but I think it's valuable. It's especially valuable in our division when our defense has to stop Barkley, Zeke, and Jordan Howard. I don't think people should lose how important it will be to stuff those RBs if we want any shot at winning those three games in the first month of the season.

Ryan Anderson could have a very important role rotating in on 1st downs and short-yardage with Sweat and Kerrigan to be our run-stuffing OLB and to help keep the wear and tear off our pass rushers as the season goes on bc he's playing some snaps on run downs.

I hope if they're going to bring a guy in on passing downs to rest Kerrigan or Sweat as a pass rusher that they bring in Mckinzy though. I want Mckinzy in there on pass rush downs if Kerrigan or Sweat are being rotated out, and NOT Anderson.

I’d like to see what he can do against the ones. I think they should’ve moved on from Ryan Anderson but that’s just me. But I’m also of the opinion if you’re going to deal Trent you may as well look to trading Kerrigan too. Sweat and Cassanova might be a good pass rush tandem and if they aren’t and we suck you draft Chase Young. 

4 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I’d like to see what he can do against the ones. I think they should’ve moved on from Ryan Anderson but that’s just me. But I’m also of the opinion if you’re going to deal Trent you may as well look to trading Kerrigan too. Sweat and Cassanova might be a good pass rush tandem and if they aren’t and we suck you draft Chase Young. 

You're not the only one who thinks we should have moved on from Ryan Anderson already, a lot of fans feel that way, most in the forum feel that way and for sure MikeT14 is with you. 

But, you and everyone else is smart enough to know that any organization is not going to move on from a 2nd round pick after just two seasons, and especially not after two seasons where that player wasn't even the 3rd OLB, they were the 4th or 5th bc there were veterans signed to play in front of them.

I wish last year we hadn't signed McPhee and rolled with Anderson as our #3 OLB and a vet min guy or a UDFA. Well, I really wish we had re-signed Galette, instead of McPhee, even after Galette turned down our initial offer. If we had rolled with Anderson into last camp/preseason and he didn't look  good enough to be our #3 then during last camp or before the season we should have re-signed Galette, but Brice Allen is hard-headed and wouldn't do that anyway!

As much as people don't want to here it, Anderson did have 2 sacks last year and he barely got snaps. And, I know I sound like a broken record but there is a reason why Anderson is still on the team. He's just a good all-around football player and I think he's a good special teams player. 

I don't think McKinzy is good enough to be a starter. Again, he's done awesome work and worked some backup OTs in the preseason, that doesn't mean he's starter worthy. He's a good back up.

Even if the Redskins would trade both TWill and Kerrigan to SB contenders - Brice Allen won't - I still don't think they should take an OLB in round 1 two years in a row. I would sign someone who's affordable to compete with Anderson, Mckinzy, Brailford and another player they draft in the mid-rounds to be the starter opposite Sweat.

* Trade Trent to the Browns for a 1st and 4th round picks.

* Trade Kerrigan to Chiefs for a 2nd and 5th round picks.

We do that, and then we'd have a top 10 first-round pick (ours), a mid to late first-round pick (Browns), a top 10 second-round pick, a late second-round pick (Chiefs), a mid to late to late 4th round pick (Browns) and a late 5th round pick. We’d be stacked and able to load up with young talent to continue to build our defense and our offense around Haskins.

Or, I like the idea of trading both Trent and Kerrigan to the Texans for Clowney a 2nd round pick and a mid or late-round pick.

Redskins Defense:

ROLB: Clowney

RDE: Allen

NT: Payne

LDE: Ioannidis

LOLB: Sweat

RILB: Bostic

LILB: SDH/JHC

RCB: Dunny

LCB: Norman

SLOT: Moreau

SS: Collins

FS: Nicholson

The Redskins should be focusing on taking BPA for sure next draft except for DL IMO, but I really think if the value is there they should go LT so that they have someone to protect Haskins. If not that, a WR, ILB or CB if the talent is there for those positions.

12 hours ago, lavar703 said:

If they are moving on from Doctson like the rumors are, Anderson should be next.  We have already seen enough of him, at least I have.  Not being able to really break into our rotation explains plenty.  

I agree with trading Kerrigan, but the return isn't going to be what you think.  In the NFL, trades of veterans like Williams or Kerrigan never get what they would get for comparable trades in other sports.  I think Kerrigan means a whole lot more to the team too than what he would get in trade.  

4 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

If they are moving on from Doctson like the rumors are, Anderson should be next.  We have already seen enough of him, at least I have.  Not being able to really break into our rotation explains plenty.  

I agree with trading Kerrigan, but the return isn't going to be what you think.  In the NFL, trades of veterans like Williams or Kerrigan never get what they would get for comparable trades in other sports.  I think Kerrigan means a whole lot more to the team too than what he would get in trade.  

I don’t think much of a return for Kerrigan but I’d be willing to bet if they put him on the market you could get a 2nd and at worst a 3rd. A guy who gets double-digit sacks nearly every year is worth quite a bit around the NFL. 

6 hours ago, lavar703 said:

I don’t think much of a return for Kerrigan but I’d be willing to bet if they put him on the market you could get a 2nd and at worst a 3rd. A guy who gets double-digit sacks nearly every year is worth quite a bit around the NFL. 

I think it's more likely a 2nd or a 3rd, but not both. Nap town is 100% correct on this. Not just the NFL but all sports leagues value future assets more than declining assets even if those current declining assets have a year or two left in their prime. 

Kerrigan is only a month younger than Trent. They both just turned 31.

To me, the Texans have a bright future bc of their young QB, and some young talent on offense but outside of Clowney - who's likely to be traded - and their young ILBs, their talent on defense is aging.

Brice Allen/Dan Snyder won't do this but they need to realize that with Haskins now drafted and a mostly young roster that the team is rebuilding for the next few years and hopefully they do so and Haskins turns into a good or great QB.

I think the time is to have a fire sale of our pro-bowl caliber 30 and over crowd for draft picks that we can use to help rebuild around Haskins and to continue to build this young defense.

Now that the Texans just lost their starting RB for the season, they are going to be looking for a starting running back.

So, I propose this trade:

Texans get:

TWill

Adrian Peterson

Ryan Kerrigan 

Redskins get:

Clowney

Texans 2020 2nd 

Texans 2020 4th 

Then, I’d ship Josh Norman to the highest bidder. There are teams out there - some in the same division - that could use a #1 or 1b corner to help make them Super Bowl contenders.

I'm thinking the AFC West teams would compete for Norman’s services. All of them could use Josh Norman. So we could probably get a 2nd pick out of him, at worst a 4th but most likely a 3rd. If we do that then our 2020 draft will be stacked with high and mid-round picks to continue to build around Haskins on offense and to continue to build our defense.

So the Redskins end up with Clowney, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th after trading TWill, Kerrigan, Peterson and Norman. 

Here's the Redskins 2020 NFL draft:

1. Andrew Thomas, LT, Georgia 

2. Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt

3. KJ Hill, WR, Ohio State

3. Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

4.  Malik Harrison, ILB, Ohio State 

4. Raequan Williams, 3-4DE, Michigan State

5. Josiah Scott, CB, Michigan State

7. Jeremiah Dinson, S, Auburn 

7. Tommy Kraemer, G, Notre Dame

2 hours ago, turtle28 said:

What about this trade?

TWill, Adrian Peterson and Kerrigan to the Texans for Clowney, a 2nd and a 4th round pick?

Good lord are you serious? I’m not in the Clowney business at all but my god that seems like we’d be getting ripped off lol

3 hours ago, turtle28 said:

I think it's more likely a 2nd or a 3rd, but not both. Nap town is 100% correct on this. Not just the NFL but all sports leagues value future assets more than declining assets even if those current declining assets have a year or two left in their prime. 

Kerrigan is only a month younger than Trent. They both just turned 31.

To me, the Texans have a bright future bc of their young QB, and some young talent on offense but outside of Clowney - who's likely to be traded - and their young ILBs, their talent on defense is aging.

Brice Allen/Dan Snyder won't do this but they need to realize that with Haskins now drafted and a mostly young roster that the team is rebuilding for the next few years and hopefully they do so and Haskins turns into a good or great QB.

I think the time is to have a fire sale of our pro-bowl caliber 30 and over crowd for draft picks that we can use to help rebuild around Haskins and to continue to build this young defense.

Now that the Texans just lost their starting RB for the season, they are going to be looking for a starting running back.

So, I propose this trade:

Texans get:

TWill

Adrian Peterson

Ryan Kerrigan 

Redskins get:

Clowney

Texans 2020 2nd 

Texans 2020 4th 

Then, I’d ship Josh Norman to the highest bidder. There are teams out there - some in the same division - that could use a #1 or 1b corner to help make them Super Bowl contenders.

I'm thinking the AFC West teams would compete for Norman’s services. All of them could use Josh Norman. So we could probably get a 2nd pick out of him, at worst a 4th but most likely a 3rd. If we do that then our 2020 draft will be stacked with high and mid-round picks to continue to build around Haskins on offense and to continue to build our defense.

So the Redskins end up with Clowney, a 2nd, 3rd and 4th after trading TWill, Kerrigan, Peterson and Norman. 

Here's the Redskins 2020 NFL draft:

1. Andrew Thomas, LT, Georgia 

2. Jared Pinkney, TE, Vanderbilt

3. KJ Hill, WR, Ohio State

3. Damon Arnette, CB, Ohio State

4.  Malik Harrison, ILB, Ohio State 

4. Raequan Williams, 3-4DE, Michigan State

5. Josiah Scott, CB, Michigan State

7. Jeremiah Dinson, S, Auburn 

7. Tommy Kraemer, G, Notre Dame

I don't like the idea of taking top talent away for Haskins but you want him to win.

Peterson and Kerrigan are great character guys along with the great talent they pocess. Kerrigan himself is worth at least a 2nd round pick IMO. Double digit sack guys just don't fall of tree's. Clowney hasn't even done that. Yes because Trent no longer wants to be here I have interest in this trade, but I would be concerned about Clowneys long term production after he has been paid. 

Clowney is not better than Kerrigan and they may have a guy similar to or better than Clowney in Sweat. I'd do a swamp of Williams and Clowney but Peterson on Kerrigan aren't in the deal. 

Archived