Week 2 Preseason SF @ DEN GD Thread

Broncofan

Man, I know it's just 1 preseason game...but again, this SF 2nd string D is stuffing the DEN starting OL in the run game.   Hands-to-face penalty gives DEN 3 more downs...but this is....unexpected.  And disconcerting.

Edited by Broncofan
  • Like 1

The DPI keeps the drive alive, and it's not a huge deal, but Lock really has to see the TE open there early and him instead of the failed pass where DPI bailed him out (and frankly, an iffy call, surprised Kyle S didn't challenge, now's the time to find out what they won't call).

Edited by Broncofan

2 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Gosh and our 2nd-string OL (+Bolles, lol, nice Fangio) also looks like crap. 

Well, I'll give Fangio credit - the only way Bolles can improve is to give him more reps.    It also sends him a message he needs to be better in a very public way.   

Whether Fangio succeeds or fails as a HC, I really appreciate how he holds players accountable.   His post-game assessments are brutally transparent and honest, and moves like the above show what you do on the field matters, not a label as a starter. 

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Well, I'll give Fangio credit - the only way Bolles can improve is to give him more reps.    It also sends him a message he needs to be better in a very public way.   

Whether Fangio succeeds or fails as a HC, I really appreciate how he holds players accountable.   His post-game assessments are brutally transparent and honest, and moves like the above show what you do on the field matters, not a label as a starter. 

Well said. I always appreciate your posting. 

• Like 2

Lock has been OK the last 2 drives - he's missed the right read on the 3rd down play, and was eyes down with pressure and looked to run on the next 3rd down play (need to be eyes up to extend plays effectively), but he's not deer-in-headlights bad like the HoF game.  The last 3rd down play, his throw was way off, but also better to overthrow than underthrow that ball. 

I doubt he'd find success against reg. season game speed to be our backup Week 1 - but even this level of progress was something we didn't see from Paxton Lynch in year 1.  It's a low, low bar, but at least he's not showing that level of badness, really not much more you can ask from a rookie with Lock's flaws & 3 games.

Edited by Broncofan

1 minute ago, BroncoBruin said:

Keishawn Bierria was a puzzling draft pick and he's clearly not an NFL player.

As much as I love the emphasis on skills that Elway's shifted in the draft, I do wish he'd have kept his late-round go-for-home-run picks with raw guys.  My objection was him spending Day 2 draft capital on those projects when high-floor, high-ceiling guys were available (not insane-sky's-the-limit-but-zero-actual-skills).   It's pretty clear he still does that for UDFA's, and why he's still hitting big there, but I thought the Rd6 guys Bierra / David Williams picks had such low ceilings that they weren't likely to succeed.    Elway focusing on character is great for higher draft capital picks, but I think taking chances in the late rounds are where you can hit the home run.   

Don't get me wrong, I much prefer Elway's 2018-19 draft approach - it's just that he's gone skills/character in Rd5-6-7 - the only skill/character guys left usually have sub-par athletic talent.  And if you don't have the talent, then you usually wash out.    I love that Elway has clearly ditched his all-tools-no-skills approach for Day 2 and Rd4...I just wish he'd keep it when the draft talent pool is really thin.

44 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

No kidding. I mean hell If I’m Elway I fire Munchak tomorrow. What an embarrassment. 

Shelby Harris is beasting, however. 

Well, let's not go overboard - Munchak's effect in improving an OL usually doesn't take hold until Year 2.   It's one of the reasons why I've been saying we should be planning everything towards 2020+.   Plus, let's face it, you need some clay to work with to build a masterpiece...and you need time.  

• Like 1

Well, Bolles is out, and Wilkinson is in at LT.    Right on cue...false start.   Fangio does NOT look impressed.   Can't blame him.   Even though the O got the first down, that hurt because it used up 2 runs and 1 TO to convert that, to restart the 2-min O.    It's the little mistakes that make such a huge diff in game flow and game script.

Edited by Broncofan