J Gordon/AJ Green strategy

101Raider

So want to bounce an idea off you guys.

I've always been of the mind that FF is all about creating advantage while minimizing risk in the early rounds.  Also, I'm a believer that you have to take risks mid/late round otherwise you're in danger of drafting simply an average team.  I'd rather flame out and be last place with a chance of winning it all than be basically guaranteed an above average finish.

In a nutshell, I'm contemplating punting my WR2 and taking AJ Green and Josh Gordon in the mid rounds (rds 6&7).  This would get me a platoon of stud RBs, a WR1 and a strong TE.  By considering Green and Gordon as a combo WR (Gordon plays early season while AJ is missing early season, then vice versa when Gordon inevitably goes off the rails). I get very high end WR2 output for cheap.  I believe I can flesh out a flexible 4th and/or 5th WR later in the draft (in case both AJ and Josh flameout) in guys like Dede Westbrook and John Brown

an example would be something like this:

1st: Zeke (or DJ if still holding out)

2nd: T Hill

3rd: Fournette

4th: C Carson

5th OJ Howard

6th AJ

7th Gordon

thoughts?

• Like 1

28 minutes ago, 101Raider said:

I've always been of the mind that FF is all about creating advantage while minimizing risk in the early rounds.  Also, I'm a believer that you have to take risks mid/late round otherwise you're in danger of drafting simply an average team.  I'd rather flame out and be last place with a chance of winning it all than be basically guaranteed an above average finish.

In a nutshell, I'm contemplating punting my WR2 and taking AJ Green and Josh Gordon in the mid rounds (rds 6&7).  This would get me a platoon of stud RBs, a WR1 and a strong TE.  By considering Green and Gordon as a combo WR (Gordon plays early season while AJ is missing early season, then vice versa when Gordon inevitably goes off the rails). I get very high end WR2 output for cheap.  I believe I can flesh out a flexible 4th and/or 5th WR later in the draft (in case both AJ and Josh flameout) in guys like Dede Westbrook and John Brown

5th OJ Howard

6th AJ

7th Gordon

thoughts?

Not bad if you are feeling lucky. If I have those two rbs, I would def look into find more depth first. Just in case....

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 101Raider said:

5th OJ Howard

6th AJ

7th Gordon

thoughts?

I don't mind the strategy at all. You're right, you have to find the upside in players. Most guys going in the mid rounds with high-ish floors but no upside aren't that appealing especially if you have someone like Hill because you're never benching him so that means there are just 1-2 open spots. I probably am going WR-WR so taking a no-upside WR is dumb because they would never start over my 1st 2 picks unless someone gets hurt

With all that said, if you're taking the risk with Green and Gordon, I feel like taking LF in round 3 is alot of risk too. I get that you have Zeke/DJ and also Carson so maybe you can afford that risk but its a tough call. Overall its not a bad strategy at all though

On 8/20/2019 at 3:09 PM, sammymvpknight said:

I was down on A.J. Green before the injury, so I’m hesitant to put much faith in him. As for Gordon...I have 0 confidence in him unless they manage to pull off a brain transplant before the season. 

Disagree.  Green is easily worth a flyer in the 7th, 8th, 9th rounds on a team likely to be throwing a ton late in games.  Green is still a great player when on the field just look at his numbers last year on an equally awful CIN team.

Just now, Rockice_8 said:

Disagree.  Green is easily worth a flyer in the 7th, 8th, 9th rounds on a team likely to be throwing a ton late in games.  Green is still a great player when on the field just look at his numbers last year on an equally awful CIN team.

At some point I’d be willing to take Green, but there is just about a 100% guarantee that he’ll be taken before I get to the point in the draft where I want to take him. He’s been hurt a lot recently and his play has slipped. I just have no interest in taking injured and aging players. 

5 minutes ago, sammymvpknight said:

At some point I’d be willing to take Green, but there is just about a 100% guarantee that he’ll be taken before I get to the point in the draft where I want to take him. He’s been hurt a lot recently and his play has slipped. I just have no interest in taking injured and aging players. 

I'd assume in redraft he's probably going somewhere around the 8th maybe 9th round at this point.  You can probably get fringe WR1 numbers out of a healthy Green.  I see no reason he's not worth an 8th round flyer.  Where would you feel comfortable taking him?  I mean at that point you are drafting a bench player and why not swing for a high upside player like Green who you know is going to perform when on the field.

EDIT: He seems like a 6th rounder at this point from what I saw.  I probably wouldn't touch him there either but if he made it to the 7th is when I'd start to consider it.

Edited by Rockice_8

6 hours ago, Rockice_8 said:

I'd assume in redraft he's probably going somewhere around the 8th maybe 9th round at this point.  You can probably get fringe WR1 numbers out of a healthy Green.  I see no reason he's not worth an 8th round flyer.  Where would you feel comfortable taking him?  I mean at that point you are drafting a bench player and why not swing for a high upside player like Green who you know is going to perform when on the field.

EDIT: He seems like a 6th rounder at this point from what I saw.  I probably wouldn't touch him there either but if he made it to the 7th is when I'd start to consider it.

I have him in the 90s-100s on my big board depending on format. So...I’d taken him no early that the 8th round...but ideally the 9th-10th. 

Id rather have lots of guys going in his range. I’m very risk adverse when it comes to injury. I simply don’t want to deal with it. 

1 hour ago, sammymvpknight said:

I have him in the 90s-100s on my big board depending on format. So...I’d taken him no early that the 8th round...but ideally the 9th-10th. 

Id rather have lots of guys going in his range. I’m very risk adverse when it comes to injury. I simply don’t want to deal with it. 

I tend to be too but with Green in the 8th/9th round especially if you have an IR spot, i feel like he is definitely worth it. Some guys drafted then will just flat out suck and be dropped i bet but at least he’s usually good or hurt so all games he finishes he should be well worth the 8th rounder