Case Keenum announced as Week 1 starter

16 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

I don't understand why Haskins isn't starting Week 1.  Do I think he's ready to win us game?  No.  But he needs the game reps to learn.  There are very limited practice snaps for backup QBs during the regular season.  The most a young backup can hope to learn in practice is improving his knowledge of the playbook.  The problem with that is Jay Gruden is most likely gone after this season.  That is where the people making the Mahomes comparisons get it wrong.  Andy Reid was not a lame duck head coach in his last season.  Haskins will learn nothing on the bench.  Let him take his lumps now.  He needs game experience because he'll be learning a new offense next year.  

I'd rather wait on Haskins' premiere to have some semblance of a left side of an offensive line blocking for him.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Woz said:

I'd rather wait on Haskins' premiere to have some semblance of a left side of an offensive line blocking for him.

Ok here's my thing on this too.  Why are we wasting reps on Flowers?  This guy will not be on the team next year.  Get Martin game reps, put him out there right away.  Then Penn at LT, WHY???????  This is so stupid.  If Trent is not coming back why are we wasting time on Penn?  Put Geron Christian out there and see what he can do.  We need to know if LT is a first round need next year or not.  Give Christian a shot.  

Edited by MKnight82
  • Like 2

9 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Why are we wasting reps on Flowers? 

Same reason we wasted cap space and time on Flowers = Brice

10 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Then Penn at LT, WHY???????  This is so stupid.  If Trent is not coming back why are we wasting time on Penn?  Put Geron Christian out there and see what he can do.  We need to know if LT is a first round need next year or not.  Give Christian a shot.  

Penn at LT is at least partially defensible. He would be a serviceable backup/starter if Christian couldn't win the job (and it doesn't look like he did). So, assume the answer to the evaluation of whether they need a LT in the 1st is "yes."

Top needs going into 2020 (in some order): WR, LT, ILB (no I still have no faith in Reuben Foster and Bostic is another short termer, though he could conceivably be decent if they needed to punt)

Just now, Woz said:

Penn at LT is at least partially defensible.

Partially defensible how?  We spent a 3rd round pick on a backup OT.  The starting LT goes out.  We then sign a guy off the street to take starting LTs spot instead of inserting young OT with a 3rd round investment.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

Partially defensible how?  We spent a 3rd round pick on a backup OT.  The starting LT goes out.  We then sign a guy off the street to take starting LTs spot instead of inserting young OT with a 3rd round investment.  

Partially defensible because it helps solidify a weak part of the line(*). Partially not defensible because Christian was overdrafted, but that ship has sailed.

(*) Realize that in all likelihood, they're going to have Penn and Flowers side by side in week 1. At least one of those two may be long in the tooth but was competent at his job at one point in the time.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

Partially defensible because it helps solidify a weak part of the line(*). Partially not defensible because Christian was overdrafted, but that ship has sailed.

(*) Realize that in all likelihood, they're going to have Penn and Flowers side by side in week 1. At least one of those two may be long in the tooth but was competent at his job at one point in the time.

No no no.  What are Penn and Flowers going to do for us NEXT year?  That is all that matters about this year.  Every rep one of those guys takes is a rep we could spend evaluating Christian and Martin.  You know, the guys that actually matter.  

Just now, MKnight82 said:

No no no.  What are Penn and Flowers going to do for us NEXT year?  That is all that matters about this year.  Every rep one of those guys takes is a rep we could spend evaluating Christian and Martin.  You know, the guys that actually matter.  

If Keenum is out there for the long haul of the season, put Christian and Martin out on the line.

If Haskins is going to come in by week 6, I'd rather have Penn and Martin out there to protect him than roll the dice that Christian can play better than he has shown in preseason so far.

I didn't say I liked or agreed with the idea of Flowers starting at guard. I don't like/agree with him making the final 53. I was just saying that's like what is going to happen.

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

No one was saying all this when Rg3 got benched the last 4 games of his 2nd year. Now everybody is soooo worried about reps! Some of you guys kill me with how you would treat 1 guy compared to another but their in similar situations. 

Martin/Christian didn't earn starting reps in OTA's and Training Camp so now they have to sit on the bench and work their way into the starting role. What's so hard to understand? 

Edited by Skins212689

5 minutes ago, Woz said:

If Keenum is out there for the long haul of the season, put Christian and Martin out on the line.

If Haskins is going to come in by week 6, I'd rather have Penn and Martin out there to protect him than roll the dice that Christian can play better than he has shown in preseason so far.

I didn't say I liked or agreed with the idea of Flowers starting at guard. I don't like/agree with him making the final 53. I was just saying that's like what is going to happen.

Why are you switching the Line based on the QB oppose to who is just better at protecting the QB? 

2 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:
3 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Why are you switching the Line based on the QB oppose to who is just better at protecting the QB? 

Because he doesn't care if Case Keenum gets pounded.  

Indeed. It's essentially the same argument MK was making with regards to Christian and Martin, just from a different angle. I want to protect Haskins at all costs. I want him to be the QB here for a decade plus, and I view the situation that having him play in right now is severely detrimental to that long term goal.

• Like 1