Case Keenum announced as Week 1 starter

Interesting thing will be whether McCoy gets a chance to run with the job before Haskins comes in for good. You have to think Gruden will give him a chance — but what’s really the point?

I’m fine with this. Haskins is exciting and, I think,  has potential to be a true star. But he isn’t ready for full-speed NFL action yet. I like the idea of him learning from the sidelines (with Alex Smith’s mentorship, hopefully) and continuing to work on the pocket mechanics until he gets the call. Throwing him to the wolves with no reliable receivers and a Donald Penn/Ereck Flowers duo on his blindside is a recipe for just freezing his development. 

10 hours ago, e16bball said:

Interesting thing will be whether McCoy gets a chance to run with the job before Haskins comes in for good. You have to think Gruden will give him a chance — but what’s really the point?

I’m fine with this. Haskins is exciting and, I think,  has potential to be a true star. But he isn’t ready for full-speed NFL action yet. I like the idea of him learning from the sidelines (with Alex Smith’s mentorship, hopefully) and continuing to work on the pocket mechanics until he gets the call. Throwing him to the wolves with no reliable receivers and a Donald Penn/Ereck Flowers duo on his blindside is a recipe for just freezing his development. 

I imagine Keenum is going to struggle- he did last year, and had infinitely better offensive weapons for most of the year- and McCoy will take over once healthy.  Then I expect more of the same.  Haskins may get mop-up duty at the end of the season.  

4 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I imagine Keenum is going to struggle- he did last year, and had infinitely better offensive weapons for most of the year- and McCoy will take over once healthy.  Then I expect more of the same.  Haskins may get mop-up duty at the end of the season.  

Man, I hope not, but this is probably right. I just feel Jay is going to give Colt one last shot to succeed as a starter once Colt is healthy enough to go, if Case is struggling which I imagine will happen after the first month.

So, maybe Colt gets the rock vs the Dolphins but I don't think our passing game is efficient enough with either QB and that either will avoid bad interceptions.

So, if that's the case, it might not be until December until Haskins gets to start.

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Not sure I'll agree with this logic
Was 6-6 before he lost Sanders(and Thomas was gone to trade) 5 of the losses in that time frame was to playoff teams 4 of them 5 by less then a score.
The 0-4 ending where he really struggled and was bad the Broncos didn't have hardly any weapons on offense he was throwing to Tim Patrick and Desean Hamliton and of the running backs only had one game over 50 yards in that 4 game block and that was week 17 for 60 yards.

He's not a World beater at all,but He's a solid game manager that going to keep us in games,If we stay Healthy I could see him with a Alex Smith type season from last year.

Still think he on a 5 game clock,believe he'd have to be 3-2 after first 5 to keep his job and while not impossible it's highly unlikley with who we play.

11 minutes ago, ovfd55 said:

Not sure I'll agree with this logic
Was 6-6 before he lost Sanders(and Thomas was gone to trade) 5 of the losses in that time frame was to playoff teams 4 of them 5 by less then a score.
The 0-4 ending where he really struggled and was bad the Broncos didn't have hardly any weapons on offense he was throwing to Tim Patrick and Desean Hamliton and of the running backs only had one game over 50 yards in that 4 game block and that was week 17 for 60 yards.

He's not a World beater at all,but He's a solid game manager that going to keep us in games,If we stay Healthy I could see him with a Alex Smith type season from last year.

Still think he on a 5 game clock,believe he'd have to be 3-2 after first 5 to keep his job and while not impossible it's highly unlikley with who we play.

So... The Redskins just lost Jordan Reed for we don't know how long yet. You don't think that will affect Keenum?

We all know the offense is night and day difference when Reed play vs when he doesn't, dating all the way back to 2013 when RG3 was coming off his knee injury.

W/o Reed, our offense is going to have to run it a lot, teams will stack the box and then we’ll be in 3rd and king most of the time. 

Keenum can definitely do what Alex did last year and he'll take a few more chances then Alex a game which could be great or those chances will sometimes lead to interceptions also.

Where Alex had 5 ints last year, Keenum probably would have had 10 in as many games. Those ints lose you games. With Alex we could control the clock some, I'm not sure that happens with Keenum as our QB.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

So... The Redskins just lost Jordan Reed for we don't know how long yet. You don't think that will affect Keenum?

We all know the offense is night and day difference when Reed play vs when he doesn't, dating all the way back to 2013 when RG3 was coming off his knee injury.

W/o Reed, our offense is going to have to run it a lot, teams will stack the box and then we’ll be in 3rd and king most of the time. 

Keenum can definitely do what Alex did last year and he'll take a few more chances then Alex a game which could be great or those chances will sometimes lead to interceptions also.

Where Alex had 5 ints last year, Keenum probably would have had 10 in as many games. Those ints lose you games. With Alex we could control the clock some, I'm not sure that happens with Keenum as our QB.

I don't think he keeps the jobs after the first 5 games as I said think he'd need to be 3-2 at that point to keep Job and that's esp if Reed/Prich aren't 100.The Dolphins just too perfect of a first game to give Haskins esp since we play the Pats week before and sure you'll see some of the same looks on D but with less talent on the Dolphins.

My Problem is some people in here seem to think he's a bum or Horrible,2 seasons ago he was in the nfc championship game last year like us he was on a team killed by Injs but looking when they were healthy
Beat Seahawks week 1
Week 3 vs Chiefs Had 10 Point lead in 4th(Th defense people love in Denver blows that) Drove down field under 2 mins and with 20 secs left on a 4th and 10 threw a 1st down pass only to have Sutton try to lateral the ball the put them back behind the stick and lose the ball.
Lost by 3 to Rams threw for over 300 yards
Lost by 7 to Chiefs
Lost by 2 to Texans got them in FG range but Kicker missed the kick at buzzer
beat Chargers by 1 got ball on own 8 with less then 2 mins to go down 2 got the ball to the opposing 17 for game winning FG
Beat Steelers by 7

Yes you also get game when you lose to Jets by double digits which isn't a good thing at all.

I expect us to be 1-4 or 2-3 but wouldn't shock me if we 3-2 or 4-1 through 4 but way most talking that would blow there minds

Archived