Redskins vs Ravens Gameday Thread - Preseason Week 4 (8/29/19)

MKnight82

10 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

How much does that have to do with play calling? I would say 70% on 3rd down they are running a zone play leaving the middle open.

It's also that the only ILBs I can think of this decade which we had who were good at coverage were Keenan Robinson, Sua Cravens and now JHC; both of them were college SS’s.

Edited by turtle28

Interested to see how the roster cuts shake out, especially at WR.

on a side note...

Just a few years back - RB/DL/DB were absolutely horrific units. Consistently the worst in the NFL. Now, they are arguably the strength of this team and what will carry us over the next few years.

Conversely, OL (Williams/Moses/Scherff/Lichtensteiger/Long/Nsekhe) and WR (Garcon/Jackson/Crowder/Reed) were rock solid units and now they are the biggest issue this team has.

Crazy how that works. We've never really had a solid O/D/ST units at the same time.

• Like 4

I agree with most of the above post, but I don't think DBs are a strength of this team.  Norman is aging and declining a little each year, Dunbar is oft-injured, FS is one of the weakest roster spots and our new SS struggles in coverage.  Moreau should be stepping up, but his play hasn't equaled his talent level.  It's an average unit at best, below average at worst.  

• Like 2

Seems Gruden isn't thinking of keeping 7 wrs. Going to be interesting to see what happens.

Do we trade or cut Doctson? 

Does Davis, Kidsy, Sims or Sims, Jr make it as young udfa’s with upside? 

Does Quick make it because he's a reliable vet?

Does Chesson make it as the 6th WR bc of his special teams play?

10 hours ago, A TRAIN 89 said:

Interested to see how the roster cuts shake out, especially at WR.

on a side note...

Just a few years back - RB/DL/DB were absolutely horrific units. Consistently the worst in the NFL. Now, they are arguably the strength of this team and what will carry us over the next few years.

Conversely, OL (Williams/Moses/Scherff/Lichtensteiger/Long/Nsekhe) and WR (Garcon/Jackson/Crowder/Reed) were rock solid units and now they are the biggest issue this team has.

Crazy how that works. We've never really had a solid O/D/ST units at the same time.

It's all how you allocate your $. 

If the Redskins hadn't signed Josh Norman, they would have had $ to keep DJax or Garcon and add the free agents they did to their D in 2017. They also would have had the $ for Long at LG in 2018 and they probably would have kept Breeland too.

If Brice hadn't traded for Alex Smith they would still have Kendall Fuller as our #2 and slot corner.

I don't think they were going to keep Crowder no matter what. The size of  the contract given to him was probably going to be too much for a WR who had underwhelmed and been injured a lot in 2017 & 18.

Edited by turtle28

6 hours ago, turtle28 said:

If the Redskins hadn't signed Josh Norman, they would have had $ to keep DJax or Garcon and add the free agents they did to their D in 2017. They also would have had the $ for Long at LG in 2018 and they probably would have kept Breeland too.

When you put it that way, signing Norman sounds like a much better decision.

• Like 3

15 hours ago, Thaiphoon said:
15 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Cam Sims just cut himself. He had two drops in a row. I guess he's not going to be our starter this year... Ugh

Just said this myself.

Possible explanation of his play?

That probably won't matter from a "making the roster" perspective, but it might give some insight as to why he had such a bad night.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, e16bball said:

When you put it that way, signing Norman sounds like a much better decision.

I'd take Breeland, Long and DJax over just Norman. 

Cousins would have been even better than he was in 2017 if Djax was still on the roster.

Edited by turtle28

5 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The more I watch Reaves, the more I'm convinced he makes the roster.

Me too man. If that happens, it Sucks for Apke, I wanted him to work out and I think he has potential but Reaves has certainly outplayed him. Lavar was right, we overdrafted Apke by a few rounds. There were certainly other safeties I liked better, of course I can’t remember their names now! Haha 🤣 

Maybe we keep 5 safeties but that’s going to be hard w/ so many good WRs and the injuries to Reed and some others.

Edited by turtle28

10 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

The more I watch Reaves, the more I'm convinced he makes the roster.

Only half of the sites I scanned had him making it.

The concussion to McKinzy really complicated the situation for him.

• Like 2