College Football and NFL Draft Discussion

candyman93

1 hour ago, mtmmike said:

Mind if you have got a chance to trade up and get Thomas or Young who would you

Just looking at the last’s drafts there is a excellent chance all go so the asking price may go down for picks5-10

I'm trading up and taking Andrew Thomas over Chase Young with no hesitation and that's solely based on how I value them as prospects.

To be fair, I'm not as high on Chase Young as most with most seeming to see him as a ready-made all-pro level, best DE to come out in years, elite of the elite at his position immediately upon his arrival in the NFL player. I really really like Chase Young, but I just don't see it that way.

I see Thomas as a ready-made pro-bowl, all-pro player when he arrives his first day of NFL rookie mini-camp.

In terms of recent pre-draft grades on elite DEs to this point, I had/have it: 1.) Khalil Mack, 2.) Joey Bosa, 3a.) Myles Garrett, 3b.) Nick Bosa,--- (slight drop-off in quality) -- 5.) Chase Young, 6.) Bradley Chubb. -

I see Chase Young as a really good prospect with tremendous tools, all-pro upside, and solid hand usage worthy of a top 6 pick; however, his core play personality,and lack of heavy hands punch as well as not having advanced leverage use play traits despite being coached by Larry Johnson ultimately has me giving him an overall value grade similar to Bradley Chubb because of Young's upside (although to be clear Chubb had great heavy hands and leverage use but just a low ceiling). 

Based on my pre-draft grades and no benefit of hindsight, I would've taken Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa over Andrew Thomas; a slight edge to Andrew Thomas over Myles and Nick Bosa; and a decisive one for Thomas over Chase Young and Bradley Chubb.

Andrew Thomas is a special prospect with his own deficiencies of course, and I'd definitely trade up for him.

Edited by Mind Character
  • Like 2

25 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I'm trading up and taking Andrew Thomas over Chase Young with no hesitation and that's solely based on how I value them as prospects.

To be fair, I'm not as high on Chase Young as most with most seeming to see him as a ready-made all-pro level, best DE to come out in years, elite of the elite at his position immediately upon his arrival in the NFL player. I really really like Chase Young, but I just don't see it that way.

I see Thomas as a ready-made pro-bowl, all-pro player when he arrives his first day of NFL rookie mini-camp.

In terms of recent pre-draft grades on elite DEs to this point, I had/have it: 1.) Khalil Mack, 2.) Joey Bosa, 3a.) Myles Garrett, 3b.) Nick Bosa,--- (slight drop-off in quality) -- 5.) Chase Young, 6.) Bradley Chubb. -

I see Chase Young as a really good prospect with tremendous tools, all-pro upside, and solid hand usage worthy of a top 6 pick; however, his core play personality,and lack of heavy hands punch as well as not having advanced leverage use play traits despite being coached by Larry Johnson ultimately has me giving him an overall value grade similar to Bradley Chubb because of Young's upside (although to be clear Chubb had great heavy hands and leverage use but just a low ceiling). 

Based on my pre-draft grades and no benefit of hindsight, I would've taken Khalil Mack and Joey Bosa over Andrew Thomas; a slight edge to Andrew Thomas over Myles and Nick Bosa; and a decisive one for Thomas over Chase Young and Bradley Chubb.

Andrew Thomas is a special prospect with his own deficiencies of course, and I'd definitely trade up for him.

Who excellent analysis 

I think it's likely that the top 8 worst teams by season's end as well as their respective picks could be as follows:

1.) Bengals -- Joe Burrow, QB LSU

2.) Washington -- Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

3.) Dolphins -- Tua Tagovailo, QB Alabama

4.) Lions -- Chase Young, DE Ohio State

5.) Giants -- Jeff Okudah, CB Ohio State

6.) Cardinals -- Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama 

7.) Broncos -- Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

8.) Jets -- Alex Leatherwood, LT Alabama

-------

That wouldn't be good for us with Thomas and Wills off the board. That would leave us with the scenario that we'd have to trade up for Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia as the only way for us to make sure we get an elite impact OT.  I like Leatherwood but he's not the sure-fire answer I'd like and would rather trade down at that point or take an elite prospect at another position.

6 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I think it's likely that the top 8 worst teams by season's end as well as their respective picks could be as follows:

1.) Bengals -- Joe Burrow, QB LSU

2.) Washington -- Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia

3.) Dolphins -- Tua Tagovailo, QB Alabama

4.) Lions -- Chase Young, DE Ohio State

5.) Giants -- Jeff Okudah, CB Ohio State

6.) Cardinals -- Jedrick Wills, OT Alabama 

7.) Broncos -- Justin Herbert, QB Oregon

8.) Jets -- Alex Leatherwood, LT Alabama

-------

That wouldn't be good for us with Thomas and Wills off the board. That would leave us with the scenario that we'd have to trade up for Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia as the only way for us to make sure we get an elite impact OT.  I like Leatherwood but he's not the sure-fire answer I'd like and would rather trade down at that point or take an elite prospect at another position.

Just draft whoever falls.

There will be some guy that fills a need due to this class being pretty deep at OT. I think Josh Jones of Houston is who they want.

3 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just draft whoever falls.

There will be some guy that fills a need due to this class being pretty deep at OT. I think Josh Jones of Houston is who they want.

Generally speaking, I'd agree agree with the idea of just take the guy that falls but with the caveat of "but don't draft for need; only draft that player if they're worthy of the selection ability-wise in of themselves... if not, look to an actual elite player at another position or trade down."

Josh Jones isn't it to me. Amazing PFF grade; but he lumbers; his feet get clumsy and are slow consistently; he can't redirect and is a linear blocker; bad spatial awareness; against speed or rushers with real talent or a rushing plan he's exposed. He's more of a 3rd round guy that's body beautiful and gets pushed up into the 2nd. If we do take him hopefully I'm just way off in my evaluation.

I really think it's 4 OTs or bust; 4 OTs or look to another elite prospect at a different position or trade down:  1.) Andrew Thomas, LT Georgia, 2.) Jedrick Wills Jr., OT Alabama,  3.) Isaiah Wilson, RT Georgia, 4.) Alex Leatherwood, LT/OG Alabama 

... and really Leatherwood is a distant 4. I'm hopeful that there is an OT prospect out there that has yet to come on my radar so we're not restricted to choosing from 3 elite OT prospects (Thomas, WIls, wilson) and 1 good one (Leatherwood).

3 minutes ago, mtmmike said:

Just draft Simmons or Delphi safety lsu

Between now and draft time, the love for Delpit is going to fall off for the draftnik community. It already has for some scouts.

He still has top 15 first round buzz but by draft time he'll be a early round 2 guy imo when his missed tackles and weaknesses disrupting the pass get hyper-scrutinized; Simmons will likely stay steady and be valued in the 1st.

32 minutes ago, hornbybrown said:

The Tua injury is horrendous. Dislocated hip with a fracture. The hip joint went through the wall of the hip. It’s the Bo Jackson injury. 

Heart breaking for him!!! He might legit never play again

oh ****. that is horrible. 

10 minutes ago, Kiwibrown said:

https://forums.footballsfuture.com/forum/20-cleveland-browns/

looked like nothing happened. much like the Bo injury. 

What a packs of **** though trying to get him to walk it off.

Gutted for him, he was going to be a top five pick. Now he won’t go till the mid rounds at best. Other than breaking your neck there are not many worse injuries you could do