Rams sign Jared Goff to 4-year extension

RamRod

I know it’s too premature (or even a joke)but I like to plan well in advance, and think about worst case scenarios. But I have a legit question about this. 

Is there any possible way that if the Rams wanted to move on from Goff and his contract that they could after the season?  Would anyone want to trade for him? Could there be any buyout? I need salary cap experts’ opinions please 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocky_rams said:

I know it’s too premature (or even a joke)but I like to plan well in advance, and think about worst case scenarios. But I have a legit question about this. 

Is there any possible way that if the Rams wanted to move on from Goff and his contract that they could after the season?  Would anyone want to trade for him? Could there be any buyout? I need salary cap experts’ opinions please 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/jared-goff-18949/ 

The 'dead space' column is misleading because of the other language stated below. 

You guys do have outs. You are stuck with him as one of the highest paid QBs for the next two years after this one (cap hits of 36m and 32m) but then after that you can cut him and have 20 million in dead space. 10 million of which is prorated signing bonus acceleration, and 10 million of which is his base salary in 2022, which becomes guaranteed after next season. 

Would be easy to cut him after 2022 though (only 5m in dead space) but at that point hes already been paid 110m over the next three seasons... ouch lol 

You are basically stuck with him for the next 3 seasons after this one and there is no way around it. 

(mike florio doesnt sound so crazy now does he? hah)

Edited by N4L

1 hour ago, N4L said:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/los-angeles-rams/jared-goff-18949/ 

The 'dead space' column is misleading because of the other language stated below. 

You guys do have outs. You are stuck with him as one of the highest paid QBs for the next two years after this one (cap hits of 36m and 32m) but then after that you can cut him and have 20 million in dead space. 10 million of which is prorated signing bonus acceleration, and 10 million of which is his base salary in 2022, which becomes guaranteed after next season. 

Would be easy to cut him after 2022 though (only 5m in dead space) but at that point hes already been paid 110m over the next three seasons... ouch lol 

You are basically stuck with him for the next 3 seasons after this one and there is no way around it. 

(mike florio doesnt sound so crazy now does he? hah)

This is a far stretch and I’m not saying Rams should deal with him in any way. 

I’m just curious with what his option may be. 

He a good QB when he has time to throw. When he’s on point, he also happens to be one of the most accurate QBs. 

For comparisons sake, I’d still take him over Garoppolo. I think your team is stacked but I think the one area that I’m not sold on is the QB 

15 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

This is a far stretch and I’m not saying Rams should deal with him in any way. 

I’m just curious with what his option may be. 

He a good QB when he has time to throw. When he’s on point, he also happens to be one of the most accurate QBs. 

For comparisons sake, I’d still take him over Garoppolo. I think your team is stacked but I think the one area that I’m not sold on is the QB 

Its a fair question for sure, it was a poor performance and hes had a few of them over the past year. Hes very inconsistent. I hope you have a better understanding of the contract though. 

I agree that when he has time in the pocket that he can throw it with the best of them. He has a good arm and can make every throw. 

he obviously doesnt trust his OL, which has caused a breakdown in his mechanics. Ive seen the guy sail a ton of passes this year and towards the end of last season that I hadnt seen him do before. Not sure exactly what it is, but usually when that happens its due to footwork. 

I understand why you say that about Garoppolo and I wont argue it. He hasnt played great this year and has had several 'wtf' moments with certain throws. That INT today was horrendous. The ball doesnt look like it has zip on some of his passes. It looks like he doesnt have an NFL arm sometimes, then all of a sudden he will zip 3-4 in a row and you realize that he does.

Jimmy has terrible fundamentals when it comes to throwing mechanics, but thats his greatest asset and a weakness. He is an upper body thrower so he doesnt need to have his feet set. It means he can get rid of the ball super quick and there are times I say he has the fastest release Ive ever seen. The ball comes out fast and the ball placement is elite. Then there are times he throws without his feet set and the ball hangs in the air or bounces at someone's feet. Normally when that happens youd tell a guy to set his feet and get his hips more involved in the throw, but with Jimmy you just shrug and hope the next time he throws it that its up to par. 

The passing game is definitely the part of our team that hasnt preformed well, but hes only started like 13 or 14 games in his career, so I am hoping he will continue to look better and better every week. His performance has steadily improved every game, which is encouraging. It helps to have a great coach and a run game. Plus we paid him 35m last year, but now we pay him 19m this year then 26 for the next three, none of which are guaranteed. We can cut him after this season with hardly any dead money

• Like 1

goff is god awful.

just another horrible contract.
les snead should be fired. outside of kupp all his draft picks stink.
yeah, john johnson is an overrated s who can't tackle.
everett is a second round tight end who can't jump higbee in the deph chart in 4 years.
we have two third round picks not making the game roster at all in 6 weeks. (bt both looked like pure garbage in preseason)
they traded up in the third for henderson. why?
they trade up in the fourth for gaines. why?

john franklin myers is a fourth round pick who is already cut.
taylor rapp looked like crap in his last three games.

all of his trades were meh at best. and giving gurley and goff theses catstrophic contracts one year early.
snead is trash.

7 hours ago, Rrrrrrrams said:

goff is god awful.

just another horrible contract.
les snead should be fired. outside of kupp all his draft picks stink.
yeah, john johnson is an overrated s who can't tackle.
everett is a second round tight end who can't jump higbee in the deph chart in 4 years.
we have two third round picks not making the game roster at all in 6 weeks. (bt both looked like pure garbage in preseason)
they traded up in the third for henderson. why?
they trade up in the fourth for gaines. why?

john franklin myers is a fourth round pick who is already cut.
taylor rapp looked like crap in his last three games.

all of his trades were meh at best. and giving gurley and goff theses catstrophic contracts one year early.
snead is trash.

I've been saying most of this all along.

Snead just put together arguably the most talented team in the league in back to back years. Take it easy saying he is trash and needs to be fired. 

Sure the Goff contract right now looks bad, but what were they going to do? He had played at an high enough level for two consecutive years where he was going to get paid and this is the going rate for franchise QBs.

Gurley's slippage has hurt the team but the OL being not as good as had an big impact on Goff. Though his stretch of mediocre play has gone back to like 12-14 games which is a bit troubling. 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Snead just put together arguably the most talented team in the league in back to back years. Take it easy saying he is trash and needs to be fired. 

Sure the Goff contract right now looks bad, but what were they going to do? He had played at an high enough level for two consecutive years where he was going to get paid and this is the going rate for franchise QBs.

Gurley's slippage has hurt the team but the OL being not as good as had an big impact on Goff. Though his stretch of mediocre play has gone back to like 12-14 games which is a bit troubling. 

I blocked that guy a long time ago. His opinions aren't worth taking seriously.

• Like 2