TheVillain112

Who wins?  

7 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Seattle Seahawks
    • Cincinnati Bengals
    • Tie...

5 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

It's going to cost a hell of a lot more than that.

He wasn't at his best here but this is who I want next draft.

Yeah, and I'm fine with that.  Bengals FO needs to get there ASAP.

Also, I like what I see with Love so far.  Going to be interesting to see who Zac Taylor thinks fits his system...

6 minutes ago, TheVillain112 said:

Yes, there's a lot of other things Dalton will do better on but I don't think his ability to throw on the move or pocket presence is getting any better. 

That's fair.  He's not good at it.  I also don't think that's a crippling thing for the offense or the team.  

The 5 sacks yesterday were a lot, but 2 of them were on the "fumbles".  3 sacks on 51 passes is not a rate i'm generally concerned about.  It's 1 sack every 16 attempts.  For comparison, Brady averages one every 19 attempts and has excellent pocket presence.

The more alarming thing about yesterday was all the batted balls.  Killed the screen game.  I'm not sure what he could have really changed there.

3 minutes ago, theJ said:

That's fair.  He's not good at it.  I also don't think that's a crippling thing for the offense or the team.  

The 5 sacks yesterday were a lot, but 2 of them were on the "fumbles".  3 sacks on 51 passes is not a rate i'm generally concerned about.  It's 1 sack every 16 attempts.  For comparison, Brady averages one every 19 attempts and has excellent pocket presence.

The more alarming thing about yesterday was all the batted balls.  Killed the screen game.  I'm not sure what he could have really changed there.

Taller QB xD

Half kidding.  Just not a fan of Dalton when he bails out of clean pockets, because he's probably the worst QB in the NFL of making something happen once he does. Sack rate was great but a lot of times once he bails the pocket he's just throwing the ball out of bounds...

4 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Taller QB xD

Half kidding.  Just not a fan of Dalton when he bails out of clean pockets, because he's probably the worst QB in the NFL of making something happen once he does. Sack rate was great but a lot of times once he bails the pocket he's just throwing the ball out of bounds...

Might be some hyperbole there.  Unless a no doubt stud qb shows up, I'm not desperate to push Dalton out of here.  I might have been traumatized by the transition from Boomer to Klingler, but I would happily stick with Dalton over a Winston, Mariotta, Trubisky, Goff, Bortles, Tannehill, Locker or Gabbert.  That's all the top 10 guys dating back to Dalton's year who haven't worked out.   That excludes guys like RG3, Luxk and Newton who all appear to be done or close to the end, but at least had moments.  That also gives a pass to guys from the past two seasons.  So in 9 drafts, that gives us Wentz,  and Mahomes that would have been an improvement for sure, plus some question marks for the last two drafts.  

Anyway, my point is I will happily stick with Dalton (at the right price) to avoid rushing into a qb flop.

11 hours ago, Beck Bristow said:

So in 9 drafts, that gives us Wentz,  and Mahomes that would have been an improvement for sure, plus some question marks for the last two drafts.  

I'd list Deshaun Watson as well, but his ability to play 16 games for the next 10 years is a major concern.  

I'm with you.  Lots of grass is greener stuff, and a lot of people that would prefer to take a shot then wallow in misery for the next 5-10 years so they can at least say they tried.  

If it were me running the show, based on how they finished this year, and what the QB class looked like, i'd move up in round 1 if possible to take a guy.  If i was able to take a guy, i'd let Dalton play out the contract as the starter and move on if there was confidence the draft pick could play (and the staff should know based on practice).  If he's Paxton Lynch, then you franchise Dalton and try to extend him.

If they don't take a guy this year, then guess what boys?  Dalton is going to be extended.

20 minutes ago, theJ said:

I'd list Deshaun Watson as well, but his ability to play 16 games for the next 10 years is a major concern.  

I'm with you.  Lots of grass is greener stuff, and a lot of people that would prefer to take a shot then wallow in misery for the next 5-10 years so they can at least say they tried.  

If it were me running the show, based on how they finished this year, and what the QB class looked like, i'd move up in round 1 if possible to take a guy.  If i was able to take a guy, i'd let Dalton play out the contract as the starter and move on if there was confidence the draft pick could play (and the staff should know based on practice).  If he's Paxton Lynch, then you franchise Dalton and try to extend him.

If they don't take a guy this year, then guess what boys?  Dalton is going to be extended.

It really depends on how they feel long term about Finley and Dolegada.  I think Finley is an Addy-lite type of player, but with better pocket presence.  Dolegada has some really good, but raw, tools.  Looking back, Taylor only had two QBs in for pre-draft visits and workouts....Dolegada and Finley.  Maybe he likes Jake long term, but on a sit a year or two plan.  

If that's indeed the plan, watch Dalton tear it up, trade him next spring for a draft pick, and let the two compete.  if they both fail miserably, then you have a shot at Lawrence.  If one emerges, you have your QBOTF.  Let's face it, if Dalton plays like he did Sunday, we aren't drafting high enough (top 5) for one of the QBs.  If he plays like this next season for us, no shot at either Lawrence or Justin Fields.

One thing not touched on earlier: i really like Taylor's/Callahan's offensive gameplan.  They didn't come into that saying what 20 other teams usually do - "we're going to establish the run".  No, instead they basically abandoned it from the get go.  And that was a great decision against a team that stayed in base D all game long.  It paid off.  They moved the ball.  Just had some bad slip-ups in enemy territory (Dalton fumble and the Dalton missed pass to Boyd running open), otherwise we might be talking about a 30-23 win.

This kind of summarizes the thoughts on lack of running game Sunday

4 hours ago, theJ said:

Watson wasn't top 10, he went 12th.  He looks good though.  But we don't have to throw multiple firsts to get where the 12th pick is. I'm much more against spending  3 firsts on a guy, meaning you are anointing him as the next guy and hamstringing the kind of help you can get while this cheap superstar is still cheap. I think I can get behind that kind of move for Lawrence,  as to me he looks like he could be amazing as a pro, but just for whoever happens to be the best quarterback?  No thanks. 

17 minutes ago, theJ said:

One thing not touched on earlier: i really like Taylor's/Callahan's offensive gameplan.  They didn't come into that saying what 20 other teams usually do - "we're going to establish the run".  No, instead they basically abandoned it from the get go.  And that was a great decision against a team that stayed in base D all game long.  It paid off.  They moved the ball.  Just had some bad slip-ups in enemy territory (Dalton fumble and the Dalton missed pass to Boyd running open), otherwise we might be talking about a 30-23 win.

Great article on it 

Essentially we didn't block the MIKE LB except for one run all game.  Not ideal especially when that LB is Bobby Wagner...

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

Essentially we didn't block the MIKE LB except for one run all game.  Not ideal especially when that LB is Bobby Wagner...

Makes you wonder if they're coaching it that way.  I would wager that Mixon will force a lot of misses on runs that like against non-Bobby Wagner's.

Either way, i really more meant that i was glad that they passed against a lot of those 7 or 8 man boxes with 3 LB's because they were taking what the defense was allowing instead of forcing something.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, theJ said:

Makes you wonder if they're coaching it that way.  I would wager that Mixon will force a lot of misses on runs that like against non-Bobby Wagner's.

Either way, i really more meant that i was glad that they passed against a lot of those 7 or 8 man boxes with 3 LB's because they were taking what the defense was allowing instead of forcing something.

100% and I love that strategy.  Also, I think if we had more athletic OL they could do combo blocks better.  Right now it seems our OL can't get to the second level to seal running lanes for our RBs.  But yeah, it looks like we'll need our RB to make the first man miss every time or it'll be a long season for our running game...

• Like 1