Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
GetDownandDirty

One easy fix, two words... Trust Me!!

Recommended Posts

Stafford may have hit the nail on the head. After Bevell calls a time out that cost us a 1st down & the game, a frustrated Stafford is shown pacing the sideline yelling Trust Me!! He evidently audibled out of a Bevell play and delivered the first down they needed to clinch the win, but for the lack of trust to believe he could deliver, Bevell calls the time out. Any quarterback who has played this many years & had played a pretty damn good game should not be questioned on what he sees by a defense. They need to let him run this offense.

Edited by GetDownandDirty

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, GetDownandDirty said:

Stafford may have hit the nail on the head. After Bevell calls a time out that cost us a 1st down & the game, a frustrated Stafford is shown pacing the sideline yelling Trust Me!! He evidently audibled out of a Bevell play and delivered the first down they needed to clinch the win, but for the lack of trust to believe he could deliver, Bevell calls the time out. Any quarterback who has played this many years & had played a pretty damn good game should not be questioned on what he sees by a defense. They need to let him run this offense.

I had the same thoughts but it appears the time out was called because they didn’t think Stafford would get the play off in time.

It was a terrible result but understandable given how late the snap was. I actually thought they were going to get flagged for delay of game. 

This was such a typical Lions scenario. They just can’t seem to avoid self destruction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, detroitroar said:

It falls more on Patricia. He could of and should of ignored the request. 

yeah and what if stafford gets laid out and strip sack....you guys are hilarious...now a coach cant call a timeout for his team...of course its easy to say it from the couch. But like everyone that knows the game. They didn't like the look on D. If im recalling correctly, almost the entire team was standing sshowing blitz. So yeah  a nice swing pass to the RB works but you never know ssmh...and the Cardinals werent even playing that play so he looked more open...obviously I dont like it either...but they have been working weeks and weeks together and made a little mistake. Which, like I said. Who knows what would have happened....If B. Murphy was on that side anyway hes making that tackle before the 1st down anyway...and lets not forget DANNY AMENDOLA MADE A HUGGGGE MISTAKE WASTING A TIMEOUT...IF Anything, that guy lost us the game...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NFL_Fan said:

yeah and what if stafford gets laid out and strip sack....you guys are hilarious...now a coach cant call a timeout for his team...of course its easy to say it from the couch. But like everyone that knows the game. They didn't like the look on D. If im recalling correctly, almost the entire team was standing sshowing blitz. So yeah  a nice swing pass to the RB works but you never know ssmh...and the Cardinals werent even playing that play so he looked more open...obviously I dont like it either...but they have been working weeks and weeks together and made a little mistake. Which, like I said. Who knows what would have happened....If B. Murphy was on that side anyway hes making that tackle before the 1st down anyway...and lets not forget DANNY AMENDOLA MADE A HUGGGGE MISTAKE WASTING A TIMEOUT...IF Anything, that guy lost us the game...

It wasn't about the play call or the look of the d. It was about the play clock expiring before Stafford would have gotten the play off.. or at least that's what it looked like, hence the time out call. Which is exactly why Stafford was yelling "TRUST ME"... hence the subject line of this thread. A coach can call a time out for his team but he shouldn't have in this case and it was due to his OC not having faith in his QB to get the play off and avoid going into a 3rd and 10.

There were a few plays that led to us not winning the game - the muffed punt and Amendola not going out of bounds as well as the time out call.

It is what it is. Onto the Chargers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/9/2019 at 7:05 AM, detroitroar said:

It falls more on Patricia. He could of and should of ignored the request. 

Hey! You're not allowed to say Patricia made a mistake! Take that useless crying somewhere else!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would be more ok with the coach calling that time out if Stafford were Kyler Murray.  But Stafford is a vet, and you have to let him make those calls out there.  I get the concern on the play clock, and don't hate the coach calling that timeout but you do have to trust your QB.  I just think in general Patricia doesn't understand managing a game.  The game was lost on more than just a time out call and I put that on Patricia.  He took his foot off the gas way too early, he played conservatively and it bit him.  He doesn't have that killer instinct and the team follows his lead.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Nnivolcm said:

Hey! You're not allowed to say Patricia made a mistake! Take that useless crying somewhere else!

You are so pathetic and petty 

Do I need to explain the difference between pointing out our shortcomings and the useless crying you constantly spew out again?

Get a life

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

You are so pathetic and petty 

Do I need to explain the difference between pointing out our shortcomings and the useless crying you constantly spew out again?

Get a life

Yes. Please do that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

I would be more ok with the coach calling that time out if Stafford were Kyler Murray.  But Stafford is a vet, and you have to let him make those calls out there.  I get the concern on the play clock, and don't hate the coach calling that timeout but you do have to trust your QB.  I just think in general Patricia doesn't understand managing a game.  The game was lost on more than just a time out call and I put that on Patricia.  He took his foot off the gas way too early, he played conservatively and it bit him.  He doesn't have that killer instinct and the team follows his lead.

Patricia made the call and rightly so, should take the heat for it. However, it appears that it came from Bevell. Could this be a case where the HC is giving autonomy to his assistants (in this case Bevell as the OC) and trusting him as opposed to his vet QB? The buck does stop with Patricia but I'm interested to know how involved MP is on putting the offense together and running it in game. If Patricia basically stays out of the offense on game days, then it's really a matter of Patricia putting his faith in his staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
59 minutes ago, detroitroar said:

This must be why most of the good posters are gone in here

Wait.. what are you trying to say...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

Patricia made the call and rightly so, should take the heat for it. However, it appears that it came from Bevell. Could this be a case where the HC is giving autonomy to his assistants (in this case Bevell as the OC) and trusting him as opposed to his vet QB? The buck does stop with Patricia but I'm interested to know how involved MP is on putting the offense together and running it in game. If Patricia basically stays out of the offense on game days, then it's really a matter of Patricia putting his faith in his staff.

Which shows a lack of faith in his vet QB.  The top QBs are trusted to make those reads and if you don't trust him by now, you probably never will.  And that is telling.  I don't think Patricia has much say on offense, but he does have say in calling a TO.  And he can easily say trust your guy to Bevell. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Sllim Pickens said:

Which shows a lack of faith in his vet QB.  The top QBs are trusted to make those reads and if you don't trust him by now, you probably never will.  And that is telling.  I don't think Patricia has much say on offense, but he does have say in calling a TO.  And he can easily say trust your guy to Bevell. 

So let's assume that Patricia/Bevell are having trust issues with Stafford. Is that more telling about the coaching staff or is that more telling about Stafford? If I had to make a choice right now, I would say that's on the coaching staff. However, I am open to the thoughts of others.

Stafford got the play off and converted the first down. He did exactly what he was supposed to do. He also looked really good running the offense well before than. Lastly, I have zero questions on this guys fight and competitiveness. We've seen him time and again battle to the end and he's had many late game winning heroics.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Karnage84 said:

So let's assume that Patricia/Bevell are having trust issues with Stafford. Is that more telling about the coaching staff or is that more telling about Stafford? If I had to make a choice right now, I would say that's on the coaching staff. However, I am open to the thoughts of others.

Stafford got the play off and converted the first down. He did exactly what he was supposed to do. He also looked really good running the offense well before than. Lastly, I have zero questions on this guys fight and competitiveness. We've seen him time and again battle to the end and he's had many late game winning heroics.

 

I agree.  Stafford has proven himself in this league.  He isn't top 5, but he is a 10-15 ranked QB and has enough experience to have the ability to switch out of a play.  If you don't trust him to do that, you either should have found a new QB, or should have coached him better.  I get Stafford isn't everyones favorite, but he has been dealt some crap cards in the NFL and still produces. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  



×