The Philadelphia 76ers Thread: Where Simmons, yet again, guards fours

Utley

3 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Players of big name caliber usually give a short list of teams they'd want to go to. If a guy says "I don't want to play in Philly" Philly isn't going to turn around and offer up assets to get him.

That's the other extreme end, though. Guys say I don't want to play in Sacramento, they don't say, I don't want to play in Washington. 

2 minutes ago, MookieMonster said:

Yeah, for sure. If a guy like Kristaps says "I want to go to BOS or insert other contender", that limits the teams in on the deal. We still have a lot of assets to use. Kyrie gives us another big name that other stars will want to play with.

Downplaying that is silly. 

So if Kristaps says that, how does it impact anything? You're saying a team shouldn't trade for someone if they're not on his shortlist?

On 8/26/2017 at 0:21 PM, MookieMonster said:

Players of big name caliber usually give a short list of teams they'd want to go to. If a guy says "I don't want to play in Philly" Philly isn't going to turn around and offer up assets to get him.

Players don't normally go negative with their lists.  If they do it's a very small list.  Boston wasn't on Kyrie's list, yet they got him.

38 minutes ago, tonyto36 said:

Since forever.  There is a reason why teams like Minnesota, Milwaukee, Indiana, Detroit and company have all struggled to build contenders, even with some legit talent they drafted.

The Nets pick was always overrated.  The Nets were a .500 team when they had either of their top two PGs this past season.  Combine with the East getting worse, the Bulls/Hawks going into full nuclear mode, the Nets were never going to be in the running for bottom 3.   

As for our group vs yours, before Hayward/Kyrie I was definitively for preferring tanking/the Sixers situation [and got banned for arguing for it, labeled as a Sixers fan].  But I really don't see how adding Hayward and likely Kyrie does anything to shorten our window.  Even if we did get the #1 pick next year, there is no telling if it'd bust or not, and he wouldn't be in his prime for another 6 years.  By which we have no idea what else we'd have on the roster.  Plus it's not like Kyrie is exactly old.  I'll take the sure thing in trade for four years of developing a player.

I like the upside of the Sixers way more, but injuries and bust factor mitigate that benefit.  Fultz and Simmons could both theoretically be busts (I don't think so) and Embiid could end up Oden (also don't think so).  But if just one of those things happens it takes the Sixers down a whole lot.

Kyrie is a fringe 1/2, Hayward is a good 2, Horford is a good 3.  Jaylen and Tatum both could end up all stars and we still have a potential top 5 pick coming.  There is a good team now with an elongated window plus potentially 2-3 all stars coming in the pipeline.  I don't know how you can try to spin that as "less bright"

You don't even know what the Celtics roster is comprised of.  

That is not a realistic ceiling.  That is maybe a realistic outcome, but his realistic ceiling is an all star.  His dream ceiling is a top 5-10 player.  If you think his realistic ceiling is as low as Crowder, who many think won't be as good as him THIS SEASON, I don't know what to tell you.

Yabusele will probably amount to nothing.  Like Zizic.  And every other fringe NBA talent like them.

Rozier is a legitimate backup pointguard.  There's nothing wrong with having cheap role players.

That's it?  Like two top 3 lotto picks plus the #6 pick are completely meaningless here? PLUS a potential top 5 pick coming.  PLUS 5 first round picks to maybe swing trades/upgrade pieces?

You're just purposefully exaggerating/ignoring things to suit your agenda.

Uh, no free agent stars are signing in Boston in the near future either, they don't have the cap space. So whether a player wants to be there or not doesn't really matter unless they have a NTC.

A realistic ceiling is the 75th percentile of what he becomes, so yes that's a realistic ceiling. And I don't know what the Celtics roster is comprised of? That's laughable.

What first round picks outside of the Kings/Lakers pick and the Memphis pick has value? I'm not exaggerating anything. There's nothing wrong with Jaylen Brown being a good fifth starter in the long run, which is what an elite 3-and-D guy is. Tatum is Rudy Gay, and I can break it down for you if you'd like. What did I say that was wrong? I said they went from a potential dynasty to a team that could/should win a title. There's nothing wrong with that.

Just now, Danger said:

There's no denying that the Celtics have more potential on their team than they did last year. In all honesty last year's Celtics team felt like they reached their peak and couldn't get any better than it already was.

Well no ****. 

My point was, that there was no reason for the Celtics to remain as they were. This gives them the opportunity to take it to the next level and perhaps compete for a championship. It may set them back this year perhaps, but moving forward they made the right moves.

Just now, Danger said:

My point was, that there was no reason for the Celtics to remain as they were. This gives them the opportunity to take it to the next level and perhaps compete for a championship. It may set them back this year perhaps, but moving forward they made the right moves.

They had already done that when they added Gordon Hayward. Sending away one of the best assets in the NBA, one of the best role players in the NBA, and a poor man's Kyrie Irving, is not a good trade when you get back Kyrie Irving. Especially when you're looking to compete in the future. Yes, Thomas was expiring, but he could've been traded in a different move that would actually help this team, instead of an upgrade at the one and a massive downgrade from Crowder to either Brown or Tatum. And they'd have still had two more potential top five picks to add even more superstar talent. Now they have one left, one that could fall out of the top ten if things go badly. Whereas the floor of that BKN pick is probably seven or eight.