The Gardner Minshew Thread: All Hail the Stache

.Buzz

22 minutes ago, Drachma said:

Agreed. In classic Jaguars fashion they'll finish just above the basement level but not rise up high enough to make it into the house. They'll be stuck on the basement stairs as usual. Fields would be a nice consolation prize if for some reason they don't like what they see out of Minshew in year two. 

Personally I think they'll finish 6-10 / 7 - 9 again this year. I like Jay Gruden here. I think he'll get a lot more out of this offense than what Flip did last year. I think Minshew will take a solid step forward. Most of this is based upon whether or not this offensive line can hold itself together physically and cut back on holding our opponents in the trenches. 

Between Linder, Robinson and Taylor last year they finished inside the top ten in penalties counted against us. Something we've grown not so fond of with Dough Marrone in charge. There's a few players I like though in next year's draft. Unless the Rams fail on an epic level in 2020 I don't see us holding that number one overall pick. 

But landing a prospect like Cosmi at LT, Rousseau at DE or Lance at WR is ideal. 

The talent/youth of this team is there to be a basement team. We're counting on a lot of first and second year guys which usually doesn't go well.

I just believe in Minshew. I think his floor is a a fringe starter with some highs/clutch moments. I don't see him letting us fall to 3-4 wins. 5+ is out of Lawrence sweepstakes.

9 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

The talent/youth of this team is there to be a basement team. We're counting on a lot of first and second year guys which usually doesn't go well.

I just believe in Minshew. I think his floor is a a fringe starter with some highs/clutch moments. I don't see him letting us fall to 3-4 wins. 5+ is out of Lawrence sweepstakes.

I agree. Minshew was the only QB to win us any games last year. And we could have potentially won more had the front office and coaching staff been on the same page. They jumped the gun in benching Minshew after that London outing and Foles looked terrible for the next three weeks. This offensive line was not designed to protect a pocket passer. 

I think a lot of people took Bortles toughness and ability to run for granted and it wasn't until Foles was back there that we realized that we were going to need a guy like Minshew to make things work in 2019. Minshew showcased some Romo type abilities in the pocket last year. Denver was the game that really put everybody else on notice. 

I think he's going to be good this year in Gruden's system and I think the schedule and Wash's inability to scheme effectively is going to cost us most of our losses this year against the better opponents. The NFC North and AFC North are no walks in the parks by any means roster wise. 

Roethlisberger, Jackson, Cousins, Stafford & Rodgers are all more than capable of beating us. Especially a defense that's been depleted in veteran leadership and honestly doesn't have a quality coordinator in my opinion to make up for said youth. Just not a Todd Wash fan. Was hoping they would swoop up Wade Phillips this off season since the rumor and personnel moves they've made this off season on defense seem to have them leaning towards more of a 3 - 4, man-to-man look on defense. 

Minshew will probably split the difference within the division and go 3 - 3 in some good contests this year. I think he'll get over the hump against teams like the Bears, Browns and Chargers as well. I see 6 - 10 and maybe 8 - 8 as the benchmark this year. At least on paper. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Drachma said:

I agree. Minshew was the only QB to win us any games last year. And we could have potentially won more had the front office and coaching staff been on the same page. They jumped the gun in benching Minshew after that London outing and Foles looked terrible for the next three weeks. This offensive line was not designed to protect a pocket passer. 

I think a lot of people took Bortles toughness and ability to run for granted and it wasn't until Foles was back there that we realized that we were going to need a guy like Minshew to make things work in 2019. Minshew showcased some Romo type abilities in the pocket last year. Denver was the game that really put everybody else on notice. 

I think he's going to be good this year in Gruden's system and I think the schedule and Wash's inability to scheme effectively is going to cost us most of our losses this year against the better opponents. The NFC North and AFC North are no walks in the parks by any means roster wise. 

Roethlisberger, Jackson, Cousins, Stafford & Rodgers are all more than capable of beating us. Especially a defense that's been depleted in veteran leadership and honestly doesn't have a quality coordinator in my opinion to make up for said youth. Just not a Todd Wash fan. Was hoping they would swoop up Wade Phillips this off season since the rumor and personnel moves they've made this off season on defense seem to have them leaning towards more of a 3 - 4, man-to-man look on defense. 

Minshew will probably split the difference within the division and go 3 - 3 in some good contests this year. I think he'll get over the hump against teams like the Bears, Browns and Chargers as well. I see 6 - 10 and maybe 8 - 8 as the benchmark this year. At least on paper. 

My thoughts exactly as far as record goes.

On 5/12/2020 at 6:01 AM, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

So by that logic as long as Khan is the owner Marrone never gets fired

When has a new regime ever looked at a QB prospect at pick 1 on Lawrences level and said nah we’re good. Our team is terrible so we’ll pass on the elite talent at the most important position in sports 

Caldwell doesnt seem likely to be fired and salarywise its wiser to try to build with a hidden gem then it is with haviung a guy on a 2nd contract. 

also whos to say Lawrence decides to declare.  he could just not declare cuz of whos picking 1st or he could stay so he can get his degree. 

3 hours ago, LinderFournette said:

Caldwell doesnt seem likely to be fired and salarywise its wiser to try to build with a hidden gem then it is with haviung a guy on a 2nd contract. 

also whos to say Lawrence decides to declare.  he could just not declare cuz of whos picking 1st or he could stay so he can get his degree. 

How often do #1 picks find themselves in favorable situations. In order to be picking #1 you not only have to be bad but you have to have a serious of injuries of several people that could possibly shake up your roster going forward. If Lawrence goes 1, odds are he's not landing in a great spot

22 hours ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

How often do #1 picks find themselves in favorable situations. In order to be picking #1 you not only have to be bad but you have to have a serious of injuries of several people that could possibly shake up your roster going forward. If Lawrence goes 1, odds are he's not landing in a great spot

See andrew luck staying in school instead of going in the draft. 

He might not want to play here in Jacksonville cuz weve been bad for so long.  He also could pull an Eli and force his trade cuz he dont want to play here. 

Yes, we should definitely go down the rabbit hole of what if this thing that happens like 2% of the time with high end prospects happens this time. That’s a great use of debate time an entire year before the draft. 

Edited by pwny
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, .Buzz said:

How much of a real "runner" is Minshew actually though?  He's not like Bortles who was deceptively good with that kind of thing.

Minshew is much more of a "scrambler" to me.  More elusive than fast.  He'll pick up some yardage when things break down and he's running for his life obviously.  He's got a knack for moving around and improvising.  But designed QB read carries?  I'm not sure...

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Tugboat said:

How much of a real "runner" is Minshew actually though?  He's not like Bortles who was deceptively good with that kind of thing.

Minshew is much more of a "scrambler" to me.  More elusive than fast.  He'll pick up some yardage when things break down and he's running for his life obviously.  He's got a knack for moving around and improvising.  But designed QB read carries?  I'm not sure...

Yeah, I'm not sure either. But I do think he has some ability in spurts to make the defense have another thing to worry about at the very least.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, .Buzz said:

👀

Dude has hit the weights hard.

dat booty poppin'.

But also, hasn't he always been a pretty stocky, physically built dude?  He came out as an old rookie with a lot of years in the gym to get there too.  

4 hours ago, Tugboat said:

dat booty poppin'.

But also, hasn't he always been a pretty stocky, physically built dude?  He came out as an old rookie with a lot of years in the gym to get there too.  

He has, but he's definitely a good bit bigger in that cutup...

1173850169-850x560.jpeg