Week 2 GDT: Bills return to New Jersey

Trentwannabe

I will look to spruce this up tomorrow afternoon with my normal stats/history/analysis etc.

For now, I'll just say out defense will be put to the test against Barkley. As good as our D has been, this guy is a different animal. The rest of their offense is pretty bland and I expect our secondary to keep Engram in check.

Offense will need to avoid the same mistakes from the first half of last week that kept the game close and allowed the Jets to get in front. 

Right now I'll say Bills 21, Giants 17. 

Updated**

Last 5 games:
2015: Giants 24 @ Bills 10
2011: Bills 24 @ Giants 27
2007: Giants 38 @ Bills 21
2003: Bills 24 @ Giants 7
1999: Giants 19 @ Bills 17

Interesting stuff:
Bills HC Sean McDermott and Giants HC Pat Shurmur were on the same Eagles staff from 1999-2008.
Bills GM Brandon Beane worked under Giants GM Dave Gettlemen in Carolina for 4 years.
The road team has won 4 of the last 5 games.

The Game:
Josh Allen vs Giants Defense - The Giants allowed Dak Presscot to throw for 400+ yards last week. Josh Allen had some early turnovers but overcame it to throw for over 250+ yards including a 38 yard game winning touchdown to John Brown.

Saquon Barkley vs Bills Defense - The strength of the Bills defense is their secondary but their front 7 are no slouches either. Barkley is the best back and arguably the best player in the league. If the Bills contain him they increase their chances of winning tenfold.

Brian Daboll vs James Bettcher - These two coaches are in charge of their respective teams "weaker unit". Which coach will scheme up the better gameplan and which coach will make the appropriate adjustments mid game?

Analysis: 

If the Bills want to be the playoff team they preach they can be, then winning on the road against a team in a transition year, missing several players is a must. The Bills offense moved the ball quite well most of last weekend against the Jets defense. It was the turnovers that changed the landscape of the game and prevented the Bills from potentially running away with it. Regardless, the Bills found themselves down 16-3 in the fourth but the emergence of a run game on the legs of rookie RB Devin Singletary and Josh Allen going 8-10 for 102 yards and a touchdown pass and run lifted the Bills passed NYJ in a crucial division game. 

Can the Bills keep that momentum going into Sunday, back in the same stadium? How will the Bills handle seeing another elite RB? Do the Bills stick to their defense and rely on Milano and Edmunds to cover the TE or could we see Tre White shift inside to play man? I think the Bills defense does what they do best and shut down the passing game while likely committing heavily to stopping the run with 8 men in the box. Offensively I hope to see the Bills continue to move the ball and allow Allen to get into rhythm early again. If they avoid the fluky turnovers they should be able to come out on top. I will stick with my earlier prediction and say Bills 21, Giants 17.

Edited by Trentwannabe

Between Bell and Barkley our run defense has definitely been tested early on. I thought we did decent on Bell so hopefully that carries over to Sunday.

We need to get Singletary more touches. He may be our best weapon on offense. Crazy to say that about an unathletic 3rd round rookie.

I'm not saying stack the box every play, but, our secondary is good enough to cover Shepard and Engram. Contain Barkley and get lots of pressure on Eli. Send a variety of blitzes, even go with 5 down lineman at times. Rattle him and his mistakes will start to come. I see Oliver getting his first career sack this week.

20 hours ago, BillsGuy82 said:

I think we'll stack the box and put Eli under pressure all game. Allen should move the ball and our defense will hold

Bills 24

Giants 10

I feel similarly on the score. 27 - 10 Bills for me. 

Heavily based on if we can stop Barkley.. the offense runs through him. Our defense was rock solid and I expect much of the same out of them against a poor offense.

I don't see him having much trouble moving the ball considering how well we did against the Jets if you remove the turnovers from the equation. If we only turn it over once or twice I think we'll be fine (trying to be realistic – Allen is prone to a handful of dumb throws). The Giants defense is pathetic from what I'm reading from their own fans... so we should be in a good position to score and win this game.

Hoping Singletary gets the rock early and often this week so we can see what a full workload looks like with him. 

Edited by NickChowaniec

What's at stake today? The difference in your chances of making the playoffs between starting 2-0 and 1-1: 20 percent

The difference in your chances of making the playoffs between starting 1-1 and 0-2: 30 percent

A win today goes a long way. And I'll continue to say that after beating the Jets we now just need to go 7-6 (sweeping the dolphins is a must) in the remaining games. A win today is a must. Especially with the Pats and Titans coming up soon.