Are Rivera or Newton in trouble if Panthers miss the playoffs?

patriotsheatyan

0*qXxr5Sq7hopPlUMQ.png

CAR is 0-2 at home, both NFC games, and 0-1 in the Division.   Sure, some 0-2 teams have made the playoffs, but I don't recall anyone who lost both games at home, and in-conference to boot.

You have to wonder if the injuries to the lower body are now cascade injuries for the beating he's taken.   The shoulder is the biggest concern, though - he doesn't look right anymore when throwing, and he was never a guy who had elite accuracy/placement - so losing anything skill-wise, well, he looked brutal as far as placing the ball beyond 15-20 yards downfield, or in tight windows.

The OL did him no favors either (Shaq Barrett was a terror) - but the days of D's accounting for Cam and letting others eat seems to be passing.  They're now daring him to beat them with his arm, and he's failing miserably.

21 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Yeah but everybody says this.  So I'm still confused on how it is overrated.  Who overrates it?

It was a great season.  Was the defensive schedule easy?  Sure, but it isn't like Newton is the only one who has faced an easy schedule.  Why aren't more guys putting up 45 touchdowns every season?

And it's funny how it is always brought up how he faced an easy schedule.  As if we are supposed to take that into account, but not the fact his top wide receiver was Ted Ginn and his starting RB was an out of his prime Stewart.  He easily had the worst supporting cast of any QB who won MVP in the last decade, but somehow that never matters in the debate as much as "easy schedule" does.

We’re just putting the season into context. The opponents matters that’s kindoff what sports debates are all about. It’s an unusually soft run of defenses he faced in that season AND the combo of having a defense that created so many turnovers. 

And  again like someone pointed out, he was doing nothing special the first half of the year. It wasn’t until the second half that he got on that crazy 6 of 7 game stretch against more of those garbage defenses that he really started to look MVP caliber.

his passer rating the first two months of the season was 81.4. The final two months it was 117.

Edited by CP3MVP

I remember people were comparing him statistically to Colin kaepernick during that season. The difference is cam was on a significantly better team that’s why they were winning. 

Football outsiders actually ranked the panthers defense ahead of their offense for the 2015 season. 

36 minutes ago, CP3MVP said:

We’re just putting the season into context. The opponents matters that’s kindoff what sports debates are all about. It’s an unusually soft run of defenses he faced in that season AND the combo of having a defense that created so many turnovers. 

And  again like someone pointed out, he was doing nothing special the first half of the year. It wasn’t until the second half that he got on that crazy 6 of 7 game stretch against more of those garbage defenses that he really started to look MVP caliber.

his passer rating the first two months of the season was 81.4. The final two months it was 117.

To be fair, Newton performing great against lackluster defenses is something that a dominant player is supposed to do. Aaron Rodgers for instance, I think had his best year in 2011 when the Packers had a pretty easy schedule. 

50 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

To be fair, Newton performing great against lackluster defenses is something that a dominant player is supposed to do. Aaron Rodgers for instance, I think had his best year in 2011 when the Packers had a pretty easy schedule. 

I hold that against Rodgers in greatest QBs seasons ever debates. Same thing with 2013 Peyton