Are Rivera or Newton in trouble if Panthers miss the playoffs?

patriotsheatyan

Cam was never an accurate thrower, even threw for 59% his MVP year. If his mobility has taken a hit he’s in trouble. 

Personally I think the Panthers are just trying to preserve him to 2026ish and get 16-17 seasons out of him which is a terrible strategy. Cam is a 9-10 season QB. 

Let him loose. Let him play like 2011-2015. Sure, you could be cutting his remaining playing time to 2-3 seasons but would you rather have 2 seasons of elite Cam Newton or 7 seasons of one of the worst QBs in the league? Easy decision. You drafted Grier for a reason, to take over in a couple years. Let Newton be Newton. 

2 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

I think it's interesting so many people are saying Cam is "done" because of one game (that was incidentally nationally televised) where his OL was trash AND the ball was wet AND the OC gave up on the run game AND this was one three days of rest. I mean, Cam arguably played better than Goff in their matchup last week. Is Jared Goff done, too?

Lots of overreacting. As far as running goes, it's worth considering Cam had a mild foot injury only a month ago and is probably still testy on it.

Willing to wait it out a few more games. It isn't like we're making a QB switch midway through the year anyway considering Will Grier is horrible and Kyle Allen is just a guy.

Again, last night's Cam actually had some pretty visible arm strength which he hasn't exhibited in over two years. Worth waiting to see if he can get timing down with more playing/practicing since he missed some of camp and past couple weeks with the foot injury.

They did the same thing with Matt Ryan last year after the season opener. It's pretty much to be expected at this point.

37 minutes ago, Elky said:

Cam's MVP season is incredibly overrated.

How is it overrated, or who overrates it??  Damn near everyone considers it one of the weaker MVP seasons of the decade lol 

Dude scored 45 regular season touchdowns and 50 including the postseason - not many QBs all-time have accomplished that.  It gets appropriately rated.  

3 hours ago, Zithers2 said:

I think it's interesting so many people are saying Cam is "done" because of one game

I can’t speak for everyone, but I’m looking at a lot more than one game.

Do I think cam is done? No. 

But it’s obvious he ain’t right 

4 minutes ago, Dome said:

It’s more scheme imo. There is zero designed run plays for Cam and I’ve heard they don’t want him scrambling much anymore. They are trying to make Cam a pure pocket passer to prolong his career which he is not. Norv/Cam was a mismatch since day one. Rivera and Norv will get axed and Cam will get a one year trial with a new coaching staff. 

29 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

It’s more scheme imo. There is zero designed run plays for Cam and I’ve heard they don’t want him scrambling much anymore. They are trying to make Cam a pure pocket passer to prolong his career which he is not. Norv/Cam was a mismatch since day one. Rivera and Norv will get axed and Cam will get a one year trial with a new coaching staff. 

Definitely could be, and if it is that’s even more dumb.

I’m sure the coaches don’t want Brady or Brees getting taking shots or getting hurt either, but if they’re looking at a 4th and feet situation they’re probably running a sneak anyways 

59 minutes ago, Dome said:

Sure, but the issues he had last night are far from the issues he faced the past two seasons. Especially since he had surgery on his shoulder this year ASAP instead of waiting it out like last time. Along with the recent foot injury which is clearly hampering his ability or willingness to run. So I think it's worth, you know, waiting it out instead of zeroing in on one game and declaring that the sky is falling.

9 minutes ago, Zithers2 said:

Sure, but the issues he had last night are far from the issues he faced the past two seasons. Especially since he had surgery on his shoulder this year ASAP instead of waiting it out like last time. Along with the recent foot injury which is clearly hampering his ability or willingness to run. So I think it's worth, you know, waiting it out instead of zeroing in on one game and declaring that the sky is falling.

So you think it’s more an injury issue and less scheme like the guy above suggested?

1 hour ago, iknowcool said:

How is it overrated, or who overrates it??  Damn near everyone considers it one of the weaker MVP seasons of the decade lol 

Dude scored 45 regular season touchdowns and 50 including the postseason - not many QBs all-time have accomplished that.  It gets appropriately rated.  

At this point it's starting to get underrated.  Panthers went 15-1 and Cam scored 45 TDs lol.  His performance in the superbowl probably hurts people's perception of his season prior.  If the Panthers win that game, the overrated season talk doesn't happen.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Jlowe22 said:

At this point it's starting to get underrated.  Panthers went 15-1 and Cam scored 45 TDs lol.  His performance in the superbowl probably hurts people's perception of his season prior.  If the Panthers win that game, the overrated season talk doesn't happen.

They had one of the softest defensive schedules I’ve ever seen. That division alone defensively my god(6 games). Bucs opposing passers completed 70 percent of their passes(MM perfect passer rating in his first game), Falcons dead last in sacks with 19 total, saints gave up more passing touchdowns than any defense in the history of the league. 

18 hours ago, RuskieTitan said:

Cam gave up on his professional career when he lost that Super Bowl. Since then, he's cared more about his fashion and appearance than his performance on the field. And that's why the Panthers are 0-2.

Playing hurt certainly doesn't help, either.

13 hours ago, HoboRocket said:

You know, this is only kind of related, but I believe that Mike Vick is eligible for the Hall of Fame following the 2020 season. I'm not saying that he's on of the best QBs ever, and his off-field will certainly impede him, but it'll be interesting to see the kind of consideration that the best dual-threat and one of the most electric players of all time receives.

Cam is, without a doubt, one of the defining QBs of this era.

I'd be surprised if Vick made it in.  He wasn't a good enough passer, IMO.  Compare him to Randall Cunningham.  Cunningham wasn't as electric, but he was by far the best rushing QB in his day, and he was a considerably better passer than Michael was too.  He was also the QB for the highest scoring offense in the history of the game for the 1998 Vikings.  Cunningham isn't in, and I'd put him in before Vick.  Just my opinion.  I'm not trying to rain on your parade if you like Vick.