Are Rivera or Newton in trouble if Panthers miss the playoffs?

patriotsheatyan

13 minutes ago, Dingo18287 said:

Only looking at passing stats like rating for Cam Newton is a mistake. The guy is more than that.

That’s true, if you include his 5 rushes for -2 yards you really get a picture of the type of QB he is now.

• Like 5

Reflecting on it, it reminds me so much of post-surgery Delhomme. Cam still wants to win, he's still trying, but the arm/shoulder just isn't capable anymore. Heartbreaking. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired midseason. I'd support him. Save your body, dude. Teams are just going to run blitz us every week until we show taking McCaffrey away doesn't eliminate our offense.

25 minutes ago, Cypher said:

Reflecting on it, it reminds me so much of post-surgery Delhomme. Cam still wants to win, he's still trying, but the arm/shoulder just isn't capable anymore. Heartbreaking. I wouldn't be shocked if he retired midseason. I'd support him. Save your body, dude. Teams are just going to run blitz us every week until we show taking McCaffrey away doesn't eliminate our offense.

In the end though Cam has no one to blame but himself. Unlike Vick, Cam intentionally wanted to treat his body as If he was Superman man of Steel. Got caught up in the hype, the moniker. Use his 6"5 260LB frame as a running LB, battling ram rather then a QB. 

Never Understanding not only will your career be prolonged with less injuries but your overall health and ability as a Passer will eventually thrive as well. That God Given Talent or ability to Run is what kept Mike Vick from being one of the Best QB of All time too. Talking Skillset not off the field choices!!!

Had Vick and Cam taken the neccessary approaches needed to perfect their craft as a "QB" their first few years rather then a Runner Teams cant stop, Sky was beyond the limit for both!! Unfortunately that wasn't what worked early in their careers , wasn't what made Sports Center highlights, Wasn't winning them games and most definitely wasn't what was going to get either their $100M contracts.

I don't fault them for what they chose to do (what worked) but don't in the slightest pity or feel sorry for them either.

19 hours ago, Nabbs4u said:

In the end though Cam has no one to blame but himself. Unlike Vick, Cam intentionally wanted to treat his body as If he was Superman man of Steel. Got caught up in the hype, the moniker. Use his 6"5 260LB frame as a running LB, battling ram rather then a QB. 

Never Understanding not only will your career be prolonged with less injuries but your overall health and ability as a Passer will eventually thrive as well. That God Given Talent or ability to Run is what kept Mike Vick from being one of the Best QB of All time too. Talking Skillset not off the field choices!!!

Had Vick and Cam taken the neccessary approaches needed to perfect their craft as a "QB" their first few years rather then a Runner Teams cant stop, Sky was beyond the limit for both!! Unfortunately that wasn't what worked early in their careers , wasn't what made Sports Center highlights, Wasn't winning them games and most definitely wasn't what was going to get either their $100M contracts.

I don't fault them for what they chose to do (what worked) but don't in the slightest pity or feel sorry for them either.

This is the type of take I have a problem with.

You don't know what Cam intentionally did or did not do in order to keep a moniker and Superman man of steel. 

We don't know what type of work he put into his profession. Did the results show not enough to warrant a prolonged career, sure. You don't have to pitty or feel sorry for just respect the career. 

This reads like he's penalized for celebrating I think he's superior to Vick as well.

Edited by thebestever6

45 minutes ago, Nabbs4u said:

Wasn’t winning them games?  Panthers made the playoffs 4 times with Cam and went to a Super Bowl.  We were one of the winningest NFC teams from 2013-2017.  “Wasn’t winning them games” come on now.

I guess Wentz is to blame for his injuries too lol

And Newton’s shoulder injury from years back and last year didn’t even come on a play he ran. 

Edited by iknowcool
  • Like 1

It's hard to say.  I think there are too many expectations on the Panthers, mainly because they don't have a good QB.  Honestly, they shouldn't make the playoffs, so I don't personally find it disappointing if they don't get in.  I think many will.  So yea, Rivera gets fired if they don't, most likely.  As far as Cam, I can't picture them moving on from him, so he's not in any trouble.

9 hours ago, iknowcool said:

Wasn’t winning them games?  Panthers made the playoffs 4 times with Cam and went to a Super Bowl.  We were one of the winningest NFC teams from 2013-2017.  “Wasn’t winning them games” come on now.

I guess Wentz is to blame for his injuries too lol

And Newton’s shoulder injury from years back and last year didn’t even come on a play he ran. 

Think you misread my post. Him working on Being a Pocket Passer, perfecting his craft! Like Vicks early days in Atlanta both QB's and their Staffs weren't worried about Them being a QB first, but the Athlete's they are/were!!! Instead asking them to go run for a 1,000 yds , score rushing TD's and make plays. Why ,Because they could. Because teams couldn't stop them. Because it led to Wins. Never mind the injuries broken Ribs , Shoulders, ankles to come. Go make plays!! We're winning!

As for Wentz, yes I do blame him. Because like the two above as well as say Andrew Luck, they are so use to being physically gifted enough to make the spectacular play, that they don't take into account the physical damage that might occur when they do scramble. Aren't smart enough to slide feet first, go out of bounds, not worry about diving for that extra yd. Live for another play like Russell Wilson. That mentality ALL 4 SHARE is what led to most of the injuries and their broken bodies!

So yes I hope Carson has learned from his past two seasons worth of injuries or he too will be broke down and or retired within the next 5.

Edited by Nabbs4u

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

@Art_Vandalay confirmed blind.

I said maybe the best. It's definitely in the conversation with the all-time great MVP performances. But I guess it's easier to just look at stats with no context.

Name one other MVP QB that won 15 games while averaging over 30 points per game with average skill players, and who was the focal point of the pass and run game. The rushing TD leader that season had 11. Cam had 10. What he did that year is unprecedented.

I think it's interesting so many people are saying Cam is "done" because of one game (that was incidentally nationally televised) where his OL was trash AND the ball was wet AND the OC gave up on the run game AND this was one three days of rest. I mean, Cam arguably played better than Goff in their matchup last week. Is Jared Goff done, too?

Lots of overreacting. As far as running goes, it's worth considering Cam had a mild foot injury only a month ago and is probably still testy on it.

Willing to wait it out a few more games. It isn't like we're making a QB switch midway through the year anyway considering Will Grier is horrible and Kyle Allen is just a guy.

Again, last night's Cam actually had some pretty visible arm strength which he hasn't exhibited in over two years. Worth waiting to see if he can get timing down with more playing/practicing since he missed some of camp and past couple weeks with the foot injury.