Big Ben MEGA THREAD - ALL BIG BEN DISCUSSION HERE - BIG BEN OUT FOR SEASON

steelcurtain29

Best case scenario is Mason shows well enough to be considered the future. Having two good QBs is a good problem to have. If your comfy with Bens heath, you can flip Mason in a QB needy world or just hold on and know your good to skip QB in the draft process. 

Worse case scenario is Mason is meh. Then we are not sure if we have a future and not sure we have a present with 7 being 38 and coming off major surgery. Then we get the fun, do we skip QB and hope for the best or do we go QB and lose talent elsewhere. 

11 hours ago, warfelg said:

Here's what I would do if it were my call:

#1 - Lets see what the injury is.  I know this sounds no brainer, but if it's short term, I'm not overreacting to good or bad play from Rudolph.  If it's long term, Rudolph needs to know this is his shot.

#2 - We need to assess the play of Rudolph.  If he making on time throws, quality throws, good reads.

#3 - IF HE PLAYS WELL: As the season is going on, I have continuous meetings with Ben.  If Rudolph keeps it up, I'm trying to persuade Ben to retire.  If he scoffs at the idea, start to take the temperature of teams that want a stop gap QB, and where Ben would like to be.  Chicago and Denver are two teams that immediately come to mind.  Get even just a 3rd.  IF HE DOESN'T PLAY WELL AND BEN IS OUT SHORT TERM: If Ben is out 4-6 weeks, and when he gets healthy and we're like 1-6/2-5 I would convince him that we should IR him and that being bad for the year and getting a high draft pick is most beneficial for him and the team.  IF HE DOESN'T PLAY WELL AND BEN IS OUT LONG TERM: Now this one is the one that comes with the caveat. If we suck into a position for a top QB, I'm telling Ben that 2020 is his farewell tour.  Draft the QB, go in on FA's, hope we can send Ben out with a bang.  If we aren't bad enough for one of the top QB's, I consider trading back in the 1st, collect a 2021 1st, and look at 2 more season of Ben.

ARIANS!

IF RUDOLPH WINS THE TEAM OVER, AND BEN WANTS TO PLAY, I WOULD EXPECT ARIANS TO BE READY FOR A TRADE

1 hour ago, August4th said:

He has said numerous things over the years. Wait and see how he recovers, but I am thinking he will get traded because Rudolph will succeed and prove he is the future. Of course, he will need the WR's to actually catch the ball, but hopes are moncrief will be cut by then xD

3 hours ago, warfelg said:

Sounds like no retirement. We might be in a real bind if Mason plays great or we suck to a top pick. 

If Mason plays great, that will be a pickle.

If we suck enough to get a top QB, Ben can cry all he wants.  He will be 38 and coming off a serious throwing arm injury.  If he has a problem with us taking a QB early, he can go pound sand.

1 hour ago, 3rivers said:

He has said numerous things over the years. Wait and see how he recovers, but I am thinking he will get traded because Rudolph will succeed and prove he is the future. Of course, he will need the WR's to actually catch the ball, but hopes are moncrief will be cut by then xD

Only team I could see trading for Ben is Tampa Bay, but with his cap hit, I cant see us trading him next years.  He will either start, ride the pine or retire.  My guess is he starts unless Mason has an incredible season.

12 minutes ago, August4th said:

this might help explain why his deep ball accuracy faded away over the years

That part definitely makes sense....

...the part where they let him lead the NFL in passing attempts despite having a good ground game and top OLine does not. 

• Like 2

23 hours ago, August4th said:

this might help explain why his deep ball accuracy faded away over the years

does it explain how he told colbert about this before he got his new deal :D. Nice one ben, first you take control of the OC and then you rob the team since you aren't capable of having the health to play. Nice one.  They better trade him before he costs them a few more QB's when he gets his next deal;)

So it's out there know that Ben's elbow surgery wasn't on a tendon or a ligament.  It was on a muscle.  It sounds like the muscle that goes outside the elbow from the forearm to the upper arm tore.  The very upside here; this is not career threatening, he should be throwing by the spring, and it's not something that will effect him long term.

1 hour ago, warfelg said:

So it's out there know that Ben's elbow surgery wasn't on a tendon or a ligament.  It was on a muscle.  It sounds like the muscle that goes outside the elbow from the forearm to the upper arm tore.  The very upside here; this is not career threatening, he should be throwing by the spring, and it's not something that will effect him long term.

if mason does really good (playoffs and a few wins), what do you want them to do about ben? Will they keep both?