Who would you take? Calvin Johnson/Torry Holt or T.O/Marvin Harrison?

mdonnelly21

41 members have voted

1. 1. Which WR Tandem would you take?

• Calvin Johnson/Torry Holt
    • T.O/Marvin Harrison

In my opinion Torry Holt is one of the most underrated WRs of all time. 

Dude had no weakness in his game. Great hands, solid route runner...etc. It’s just unfortunate he had the always concussed Marc Bulger and some back up scrubs throwing balls to him. 

If he had a QB like Peyton Manning for as long as Harrison did, he would’ve been Top 5 WRs of all time. 

• Like 2

On 9/21/2019 at 7:12 AM, diamondbull424 said:

Megatron is easily the most dominant receiver here and peak Holt was the 3rd best above Harrison. Both Holt and Megatron have become underrated somehow. If Megatron had Peyton he would’ve gotten 2000 receiving yards.

T.O. was better than Megatron.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

T.O. was better than Megatron.

No. Look at their peak seasons and explain to me how Peak Megatron isn’t the better player. Peak Megatron is arguably the most dominant WR with Randy Moss as the only physical specimen that could otherwise take the crown (not that TO wasn’t also a beast, just saying). Honestly peak Andre Johnson was arguably the same as peak TO in terms of on field dominance.

Now if we’re talking career, for sure TO is better. But my understanding is that we’re talking at “their best” in regard to this comparison.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, diamondbull424 said:

No. Look at their peak seasons and explain to me how Peak Megatron isn’t the better player. Peak Megatron is arguably the most dominant WR with Randy Moss as the only physical specimen that could otherwise take the crown (not that TO wasn’t also a beast, just saying). Honestly peak Andre Johnson was arguably the same as peak TO in terms of on field dominance.

Now if we’re talking career, for sure TO is better. But my understanding is that we’re talking at “their best” in regard to this comparison.

Owens was a freak athlete himself, a far greater yards after the catch guy, more durable plus a much better and more consistent scoring threat. He'd drop an extra ball but he was a better overall player than Calvin. Owens, Moss and Rice all peaked higher than Calvin. Andre isn't in the conversation. Owens peak season is better than Calvin's. Extra yards in garbage time are irrelevant.

Edited by Bullet Club

1 minute ago, Bullet Club said:

Owens was a freak athlete himself, a far greater yards after the catch guy, more durable plus a much better and more consistent scoring threat. He'd drop an extra ball but he was a better overall player than Calvin. Owens, Moss and Rice all peaked higher than Calvin. Andre isn't in the conversation.

Please explain this then with some evidence. Having watched both and looking at the stats, it does not compute this argument IMO. Megatron has the record for receiving yards in a season and almost got 2k, TO has never even had a 1500 yd receiving season. They both have a peak 16 TD season to boot.

Owens might’ve been better with YAC, but Megatron just could torch you BEFORE the catch so he didn’t have to make up for it with YAC which is why he average more yards per game.

The playoff stats also look pretty good for Megatron too with this comparison.

14 hours ago, Bullet Club said:

Owens was a freak athlete himself, a far greater yards after the catch guy, more durable plus a much better and more consistent scoring threat. He'd drop an extra ball but he was a better overall player than Calvin. Owens, Moss and Rice all peaked higher than Calvin. Andre isn't in the conversation. Owens peak season is better than Calvin's. Extra yards in garbage time are irrelevant.

That doesn’t make any amount of sense whatsoever .....

Even if you use the loosest possible definition of garbage time it still doesn’t apply. You’re pushing a false narrative here. 

30 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

That doesn’t make any amount of sense whatsoever .....

Even if you use the loosest possible definition of garbage time it still doesn’t apply. You’re pushing a false narrative here. 

Okay, I'll ditch the yards. 2000 and 2001 T.O. is simply better than 2011 and 2012 Calvin Johnson.

12 minutes ago, theuntouchable said:

What makes it simply better in your opinion? The only category he beats him in is TDs. 

Better blocker, better scoring threat, better yards after catch, better catch percentage and did it in a less pass friendly era without a QB slinging 700 times/season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Bullet Club said:

Better blocker, better scoring threat, better yards after catch, better catch percentage and did it in a less pass friendly era without a QB slinging 700 times/season.

Better blocker is irrelevant altogether. #1 it’s opinion based and the overall impact would be minuscule at best. 

Better scoring threat? I’ll give you this one because he did in fact score more than Calvin. The catch to score ratio is rather similar and I would argue that Calvin was a much better redzone target, but I’ll give you that one. 

Catch percentage, they are literally about 2% different with this. Not nearly enough of a difference to warrant a “better than” claim. 

QB slinging it 700 times in a season is entirely irrelevant and has no place in the discussion either. You could make an argument for the # of targets he received compared to TO (difference of 61 in TOs 2000/2001 seasons and Calvin’s 2011/2012). 

As far as the less pass friendly era, you somewhat have an argument there but at the same time Calvin wouldn’t be any different had he played then either. Calvin did an amazing job working on tough coverages and IMO is the GOAT at contested balls. 

Dont get me wrong, TO was very good and I would have a tough time saying he was not as good as Calvin. I just don’t think there is a clear and above favorite between the two of them.