Week 5 Game Day Thread

naptownskinsfan

Which game is this week's GOTW?  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Which game is this week's GOTW?

• #18 Virginia @ #10 Notre Dame
    • #21 USC @ #17 Washington
    • Other- specify in thread

Really tough loss.  On games like today, you really notice the limitations of Navy and the other service academies.  We can easily run the ball up and down the field, and their superior conditioning allows them to not break a sweat while the other team is gassed.  On the other hand, when faced with superior speed, Navy is going to lose the track meet.  Memphis brought superior speed, and figured out how to beat Navy's new defense.  I was impressed with some of the new wrinkles to the offense, and think they will do well, but they went away from those in the second half- maybe due to an injury to Malcolm Perry.  Either way, the defense has got to play better and limit big plays, and they struggled with that in the second.  

7 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

Really tough loss.  On games like today, you really notice the limitations of Navy and the other service academies.  We can easily run the ball up and down the field, and their superior conditioning allows them to not break a sweat while the other team is gassed.  On the other hand, when faced with superior speed, Navy is going to lose the track meet.  Memphis brought superior speed, and figured out how to beat Navy's new defense.  I was impressed with some of the new wrinkles to the offense, and think they will do well, but they went away from those in the second half- maybe due to an injury to Malcolm Perry.  Either way, the defense has got to play better and limit big plays, and they struggled with that in the second.  

Im banging that 13-0 Memphis to the Cotton Bowl drum. I love Norvell and what he has done there. Probably get matched up with a Big 10 school(Michigan, Wisconsin, Penn State), but I could see them hanging tough the whole game.

• Like 1

@naptownskinsfan, my high school (where I coach) runs the Navy Flexbone offense almost identically. We run it for similar reasons, including but not limited to:

*Not athletically being able to matchup with opponents

*Run the clock/limit possessions

*It's "different" than what most teams run, so having to game-plan for us once a year is tough for many teams 

However, as you pointed out, it hurts when you fall behind or physically can't match speed with speed on defense and are forced into long yardage situations.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, MWil23 said:

@naptownskinsfan, my high school (where I coach) runs the Navy Flexbone offense almost identically. We run it for similar reasons, including but not limited to:

*Not athletically being able to matchup with opponents

*Run the clock/limit possessions

*It's "different" than what most teams run, so having to game-plan for us once a year is tough for many teams 

However, as you pointed out, it hurts when you fall behind or physically can't match speed with speed on defense and are forced into long yardage situations.

I remember being on campus when Chip Kelly was there a few years ago helping to install some new passing concepts, which it's clear they've been working on phasing in VERY slowly, and even though it's near impossible to get onto the academy grounds, they still blacked out the gates looking onto the football practice fields to hold it all close to the chest.  If Navy can execute some more of that, it's going to make their offense very hard to stop.  

The problem is, once again, the defense, and special teams, though Memphis is a completely different animal as far as that's concerned.  

My dad is a big believer in the offense for Navy.  He's sent a couple guys to the academy from high school and he coached them in it during their careers with him, and they were backyard recruits to the academy.  When he retired and moved to Michigan, he started coaching for the local high school, and he wanted to help them install the offense- and knowing a lot of coaches who would even travel up there to help them install it- and neither coach (one resigned after two years, my dad lasted one year with the first guy) wanted to do it.  And this was at a small school, where it would've worked very well.  Instead, they tried a bunch of air raid stuff, got beat badly on a regular basis and now I believe the program is done.  The sad part is that their facilities at the place in Michigan are so much better than 99% of the high schools in this area in Maryland.  The only ones that are better are at a private school like DeMatha or Gonzaga.  The stadium even compares to some DIII schools.  It's crazy that they can't get a turnout.