Week 4: Redskins (0-3) vs. Giants (1-2): Sunday 1 pm

MikeT14

13 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

Ya, but a kid with 14 college starts shouldn’t have been the 15th pick in the draft then.  

Why? Ready to play now =/= best in the long term. 

Lots of guys (Andy Dalton is always the prime example I think of) are ready to come in and play competently early on. They have tons of experience and have a headstart on being able to keep up mentally at this level. Guys like Minshew and Finley from last draft class sorta fit this mold, and so does Daniel Jones to some degree (though he’s got more physical talent than the rest of those guys).

But that doesn’t make those guys the best long-term option. They don’t have much upside. Picking a QB is not about the immediate return — it’s about the payoff you receive over the next 10-15 years. The investment in Haskins was one in his long-term projection. His physical tools that give him the potential to be great if/when he learns how to play QB at this level. The same can’t be said for most of the guys who may have been ready to play earlier, they have a physical ceiling that Haskins doesn’t.

Unfortunately, impatience has placed him on the field well before that time came, so we’ll see if he can overcome being thrown in there.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, turtle28 said:

Huh? That’s not what was done at Ohio State at all. In fact Haskins was started when Ryan Day - the interim HC last year - was coaching when Haskins started his first game as a college player last year.

Did Day not run a system fit for Haskins? Is he not running a system fit for the players he has now and the QB? 

You got your wish Turtle, enjoy. I'm not and nothing will change my stance on when Haskins should've been put in. 

10 minutes ago, e16bball said:

Why? Ready to play now =/= best in the long term. 

Lots of guys (Andy Dalton is always the prime example I think of) are ready to come in and play competently early on. They have tons of experience and have a headstart on being able to keep up mentally at this level. Guys like Minshew and Finley from last draft class sorta fit this mold, and so does Daniel Jones to some degree (though he’s got more physical talent than the rest of those guys).

But that doesn’t make those guys the best long-term option. They don’t have much upside. Picking a QB is not about the immediate return — it’s about the payoff you receive over the next 10-15 years. The investment in Haskins was one in his long-term projection. His physical tools that give him the potential to be great if/when he learns how to play QB at this level. The same can’t be said for most of the guys who may have been ready to play earlier, they have a physical ceiling that Haskins doesn’t.

Unfortunately, impatience has placed him on the field well before that time came, so we’ll see if he can overcome being thrown in there.

This is what I argued before the season. Almost word for word.

The only reason I wouldve put Haskins in the game was because Case was doing so poorly he needed to sit.

But in general, you and I see eye to eye

4 minutes ago, Thaiphoon said:

So you're saying the receiver also has responsibilities on a poorly thrown ball?

Sometimes you need your playmakers to make plays Thai, even on a poorly thrown ball.

We saw Ingram catch a ball that was thrown behind him on a crossing route and then take it for a 20 yard completion.

I’ve seen one guy make a spectacular catch like that today and that was Quinn when he made the catch for the first down on Haskins’ first drive. We need more of those types of plays no matter who is our QB.

Edited by turtle28