BDL 2019 Week 4 - Camden Hood Rats @ New Orleans Jazz

SirA1

Camden Hood Rats @ New Orleans Jazz  

18 members have voted

1. 1. Who Wins?

• Camden Hood Rats
    • New Orleans Jazz

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/03/2019 at 04:01 AM

BDL 2019 Week 4

Match:  Camden Hood Rats @ New Orleans Jazz

Away Owner: @Jlash

Home Owner: @WFLukic

Vote for who you think will win this game.

Rules:
One vote per person, duplicate accounts will be banned and action taken against those attempting to rig the results.

One vote per team involved in the match. Co-owners may vote in every match up except their own.

For members, who have been following along, and wish to vote.  Please join the conversation and maybe give a reason you voted as you did. This will alleviate any suspicions of unusual voting and will promote discussion.

Note: Players that have a (D) next to their name indicate that they are doubtful or unlikely to play. Players with (Q) are game-time decisions.

Good luck to you both

Camden Hood Rats

QB- Lamar Jackson
RB- David Montgomery
WR- DeAndre Hopkins
WR- Courtland Sutton
TE- Evan Engram
TE- Delanie Walker
LT- Jason Peters
LG- Isaac Seumalo
C- Tyler Larsen
RG- Larry Warford
RT- Orlando Brown Jr
WR- AJ Brown
WR- Cole Beasley
TE- Jason Witten
OL- Cordy Glenn
OL- Tytus Howard

DE- Chandler Jones
DT- Akiem Hicks
DT- Dexter Lawrence
DE- Yannick Ngakoue
MLB- Mack Wilson
LB- Josey Jewell
CB- AJ Bouye
CB- Denzel Ward
CB- Greedy Williams
S- Kevin Byard
S- Jamal Adams
CB/S- Amani Hooker
DE- Montez Sweat
DT- Poona Ford
DT- Quinton Jefferson
LB- Todd Davis

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

QB: Josh Allen
RB: Ezekiel Elliott
WR1: Michael Thomas
WR2: Tyler Lockett
Slot WR: Sammy Watkins
TE: Zach Ertz
LT: Andrew Whitworth
LG: Joel Bitonio
C: Travis Frederick
RG: Kevin Zeitler
RT: Riley Reiff

RB2: Duke Johnson
RB3: Nyheim Hines
WR4: Deebo Samuel
WR5: Paul Richardson
WR6: Parris Campbell
OL6: Bobby Massie
OL7: Justin Pugh
OL8: Connor McGovern

Defense:

DE: Josh Allen
DT: Calais Campbell
DT: Geno Atkins
DE: Nick Bosa
LB: Danny Trevathan
CB: Stephon Gilmore
CB: Kyle Fuller
CB: Chris Harris Jr.
S: Haha Clinton-Dix
SS: Micah Hyde
FS: Darnell Savage

DT3: Marcell Dareus
DT4: David Onyemata
DT5: Sheldon Richardson
DE3: Olivier Vernon
LB3: Denzel Perryman
LB4/S3: Tony Jefferson
CB4: Justin Coleman
CB5: JC Jackson

Edited by SirA1

Camden Hood Rats

Offense (Flex 12 personnel base)
This week we take on big dog New Orleans. They're one of the better rosters in the league and their defense is filled with big time players. New Orleans has a strong secondary, even though they never actually specify what kind of coverage they run and nobody has pointed that out yet, they just list certain assignments so we'll go with man coverage? Either way, we think we have a few ways to beat this defense.
"Flex 12" personnel- We call this traditional 12 personnel (1 RB 2 TE's) Flex because with both Evan Engram and Delanie Walker on the field together for a large part of the game you can always flex one out to match up with one of the OLB's that NO deploys. In this formation, with these players we feel we can do a couple things. 1) slow down the NO edge rushers since they seemingly rush 5 all game with a mismatch. Put Allen or Bosa in coverage and they're getting exposed. Put a safety/corner on them they've got a mismatch. 2) Help us battle man coverage with an extra blocker in the run game. 

Mesh concepts/Stacks/Rubs/Trips/Motion- All 5 of these things are big keys to beating man coverage. If you play a team that has big lockdown corners, making them move laterally through traffic is the ideal way to get people open.  If NO wants to play man (or not specify and just list matchups) then we want to make their man corners run side to side and navigate through themselves and us. If NO wants to actually gameplan and run a zone, Hopkins and Sutton will focus on running lots of option routes to beat the zone. 

RPO- The run pass option has been a staple for us. Having a running QB isn't a necessity to do this, but when you do it's a huge plus. Running lots of 2 TE personnel should help in this area, as runs to the outside can be met with back blocks from a TE that we've flexed out. This also forces NO defenders to freeze for a second every play while watching Jackson and the RB at the mesh point. 

Defense (Tampa 2 base)
New Orleans brings a plethora of offensive weapons. Most importantly a power run game and a QB with a big arm. So we've decided on a particular strategy to try and limit those things. 

Tampa 2 vs Cover 2- A cover 2 is generally a good defense in defending the long pass and solid in the run game but can be bitten by a TE who can work the seam. Zach Ertz can do that. The Tampa 2 employs a MLB who is able to drop straight back into his zone to stop deep seam and go routes from the TE. With Leonard hurt, we decided Mack Wilson is our best option for this strategy. He proved in the preseason he can do very well in coverage with 2 picks and a TD and in his first start last week almost came way with an acrobatic pick again. His responsibility will be that deep zone. Here is a quick shot of how that coverage looks:
tampa2.gif

Discipline in the run game- We realize that NO brings a good offensive line and a QB with more than average mobility. So for this week we emphasize that our offensive line not get too enamored with attacking up the field and maintain gap discipline. This should also help with Allen taking off and running. 

New Orleans Jazz

Offense:

We’re going to keep things very simple and stick to our strengths running behind our OL, developing our PA and letting Allen take his shots.

In particular, we plan on running at Chandler and Ngakoue with the intention to tire them out and limit their effectiveness when it comes to pass-rushing. Given the lack of depth in the edge defender department for Camden, we know that these two will play the majority of snaps and should as a result struggle as the game wears on.

As in previous weeks, the read option will be a feature. However, knowing teams are beginning to key onto this and will likely be waiting back, we’ll have Allen look for short passes in the flats or hitting the option rb on a swing following his read.

As far as the passing game goes, it will be pretty vanilla. Given Ward and Williams are out again, we know that Camden will be starting a less than desirable crew at corner and we intend to take advantage of it. Lockett will be operating as the primary deep threat and the plan will be to target him if left in single coverage, either hitting on big gains or drawing flags. Thomas despite drawing Bouye’s coverage will get his if also left in single coverage. However, the main two targets will be Ertz and Watkins working against middle level of D which is suspecitble against the pass. Jewell and Davis both struggle, so if Ertz draws a matchup against them as opposed to Adams, Ertz will also be targeted quiet frequently. If Ertz on the other hand has Adams in primary coverage, he’ll gradually slide out more almost to a slot receiver position. This should draw Adams out of the middle and let Watkins, who’s operating in the Slot get more space and hopefully opportunities to bust out big gains.

Defense:

Given Camden falls on the lighter side of teams, we’re going to play small ball as well with a 6 DB look as our base, with a down lineman being sacrificed as Clinton-Dix is rewarded for his strong play.

The coverage assignments in this 6 DB look will be as follows:

Kyle Fuller – Courtland Sutton
Stephon Gilmore – DeAndre Hopkins
Chris Harris Jr. – Dede Westbrook
Haha Clinton Dix -  Evan Engram
Micah Hyde – RB
Danny Trevathan – QB Spy

With Savage playing the lone deep safety. On passing downs, we plan to rush 4 and otherwise sit back with/cover using a back 7 and put it on Lamar to beat us with his arm. We don’t have a great deal of confidence in him being able to progress through his reads and we know that the pressure created from our front 4 should be able to get him antsy and playing right into our hands with some poor throws and potential turnovers.

This also allows us to be creative with our blitzes, as the 3 safety look allows us to disguise cover schemes regarding who’s going to drop back, and given Jackson is not particularly proficient at getting the ball out of his hands quick, will limit the risk of giving up easy completions when a blitzer changes assignment.

We plan to rotate heavily on the defensive front given Jackson will be difficult to take down given his elusiveness and the fact that Camden will likely try to stretch us out. This rotation will see Vernon, Allen, Campbell and Bosa all playing significant snaps on the edge, and Dareus coming in for early downs and Richardson + Onyemata rotating on the inside throughout the match.

Edited by SirA1

7 hours ago, Whicker said:

Aaron Colvin also inactive 

7 hours ago, WFLukic said:

Damn that's rough. The fact Camden's D is still respectable despite the injuries is a real testament to how good a squad it is. 

Thanks bud. Not sure I've had this many injuries on one side of the ball to players that mattered before. Even in the infamous injury bowl vs @TedLavie

I mean, it's not his fault but man, I gotta go against Camden here. He just ran into some real bad luck this week and those injuries, especially at CB, are just too significant for me.

And plus I mean how cant you be impressed by a QB playing DE? :P seriously though, even with all these injuries I think Camden would compete none the less, they just wouldnt have the defense to close it out. 21-17 Jazz.

• Like 1

I like that Jlash did point out that NO never states what kind of coverage they are playing. They did list who was covering who though so we can assume it’s man. I really like Camden’s game plan and their going Tampa 2 vs Cover 2. I just think the injuries get them here. Going NO.

Lots of shots taken at poour Lukic for a "friendly" bowl haha.

I actually really like Jlash plan on offense. I think moving those corners laterally is a good idea that can work. I also like the 12 personnel that puts a less talented player on the field for NO. And they sure have the personnel to run that RPO. I think they have decent success on offense because of it. Unfortunately they have a pretty bad LG and a terrible C and have to face guys like Calais and Geno inside. That's a huge mismatch which will create total disruption in that backfield.

On the other side, the issue with the Tampa 2 is that it puts a lot of pressure on the MLB to have the range to cover almost 15 yards vertically in very limited amount of time. I'm not sure Mack Wilson is good enough to do that, especially against one of the best TE in the game and a receivers that eats those empty spaces on a consistent basis in Thomas. With the priority given to run stopping and Allen mobility, I think he has enough time to hit some empty spaces, though he'll probably make a bonehead play or two by throwing a bomb in triple coverage. And NO could basically run on everyone, I don't think it's an exception here.

NO controls the game vs a depleted Camden squad. 31-13

• Like 1

Ted nails most of my talking points for this one. I think Tampa 2 is actually a good call in theory but from what I know it requires an elite MLB like Urlacher was to fulfill its purpose (be better than a normal Cover-2 zone).

I just don't think Camden can win on the road with the way its defense is with the injuries.