2019 Defense Thread

SemperFeist

On 12/11/2019 at 8:32 AM, vike daddy said:

Vikings defensive end Danielle Hunter has been named the NFC’s defensive player of the week as a result of his performance against Detroit. It’s the second time he’s taken the prize.

Hunter had seven overall tackles in the win over the Lions. He heads into Week 15 needing 2.5 sacks in order to set a new career high for a single season.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/12/11/danielle-hunter-is-the-nfc-defensive-player-of-the-week/

And now potentially on the short list for Defensive Player of the Year.  There is no standout defensive player in the NFL this year, so he has a decent shot.  

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

And now potentially on the short list for Defensive Player of the Year.  There is no standout defensive player in the NFL this year, so he has a decent shot.  

It'll probably be Gilmore (splash plays and scoring) or Donald (name recognition).

Just now, vikingsrule said:

I think it’s going to be hard for anyone to take it from Aaron Donald.

Aaron Donald isn't going to be on a playoff team and Danielle has more sacks, tackles and now more FF.  While I'm not guaranteeing that Hunter will win, I don't think it's going to be as easy a call as you seem to think.

2 minutes ago, swede700 said:

Aaron Donald isn't going to be on a playoff team and Danielle has more sacks, tackles and now more FF.  While I'm not guaranteeing that Hunter will win, I don't think it's going to be as easy a call as you seem to think.

Donald is also an interior DL, Hunter should have more sacks. Given that Donald won it last year and he’s still playing at an elite level, I don’t know how you give it to anyone else if no else has really stood out.

Just now, vikingsrule said:

Donald is also an interior DL, Hunter should have more sacks. Given that Donald won it last year and he’s still playing at an elite level, I don’t know how you give it to anyone else if no else has really stood out.

Danielle is playing far better down the stretch than Donald...and that's what writers will remember.  Donald hasn't been all that impactful for the last month, as most of his damage was done from October through early November.  Gilmore is more of a threat than Donald is, as far as I'm concerned.  

1 minute ago, vikingsrule said:

Not relevant. Really? He’s in that top 5 range in sacks and leads the league in sacks for interior DL.

Sure, he has stats. But those stats don’t coincide with success. The Rams defense is fairly average this year, the big plays from Donald haven’t come this year, and the Rams are very likely going to miss the playoffs. 

When it comes to POY awards, team success and context of the stats matters. And this year Donald’s stats just haven’t mattered. 

1 minute ago, swede700 said:

Danielle is playing far better down the stretch than Donald...and that's what writers will remember.  Donald hasn't been all that impactful for the last month, as most of his damage was done from October through early November.  Gilmore is more of a threat than Donald is, as far as I'm concerned.  

DBs rarely win the award though. It will go to one of the sack leaders. Hunter is certainly in the mix, but I still think he will be under appreciated at the end of the day, which will just go back to last years winner, Donald. 

1 minute ago, SemperFeist said:

Sure, he has stats. But those stats don’t coincide with success. The Rams defense is fairly average this year, the big plays from Donald haven’t come this year, and the Rams are very likely going to miss the playoffs. 

When it comes to POY awards, team success and context of the stats matters. And this year Donald’s stats just haven’t mattered. 

The Vikes defense has also been very iffy down the stretch so it’s not like Hunter has the playing on a top 10 defense argument to fall back on.

6 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

The Vikes defense has also been very iffy down the stretch so it’s not like Hunter has the playing on a top 10 defense argument to fall back on.

The Vikings are 6th in points allowed. But more importantly, the Vikings are winning and look to be playoff bound.  

While the secondary has looked bad frequently, I think that the defense as a whole is being judged pretty harshly. 6th in points allowed, 4th in turnover differential, 9th in sacks, 8th in DVOA.

I think the struggles in the secondary are masking a pretty good defensive unit. Hunter and Kendricks have definitely been the standouts.